What are you best at?

I really think more in terms of techniques than styles of fly, so I don't know how to answer. For example, If you truely understand how to dub a nymph, you can dub a dryfly. I've never tied a salt fly, so I'm probably pretty awful at those.

beadhead2 wrote:
My mentor LouM taught me to tie woven flies ,so I would have to say woven flies are my best ,when I tie !!!!!!

Like this?

I have a few of yours. Too nice to fish!

Attachments

• woven stonefly.jpg
    woven stonefly.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 2
My best? Probably midges. Like this.

Attachments

• midge.jpg
    midge.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 2
Nymphs, soft hackles and emergers...no coincidence that I enjoy fishing them the most also.

I think I'm pretty well versed in just about all the fly tying "genres," but if I had to pick the one I think I'm probably best at, it would be bass flies and salt water streamers.

Of course, there are different ways to think about what constitutes being "best" at. I think many tiers think about this in terms of technical skill at conventional patterns - in other words how accurately can you match the shape and form of a parachute Adams. These are the skill sets that make one competitive in fly tying contests.
There is, however, another way to look at this...and that is how innovative is a tier; how much experimentation have they done with midge emergers, or sandeel flies? This capacity to innovate and find ways to improve flies (or come up with entirely unique new patterns) is what I would personally consider the definition of a great tier.

Franklin
Fish them ,they are not that good to hold on to !!!!!!!!!!

To me I'm an okay tyer and probably tie most flies at an acceptable level but the fish judge my simple flies as being the best. Comparaduns, Inchworms, Zebra midges and SJ's seem to catch the most fish for me. So I guess they don't think my more intricate ties cut it! :-D

beadhead2 wrote:
Franklin
Fish them ,they are not that good to hold on to !!!!!!!!!!

Anyone going to start a fly tying night again?

I'm up to a fly-tying nite as long as it isn't more than a half hour from my place...and not on a Wednesday nite.

OldLefty wrote:
I'm up to a fly-tying nite as long as it isn't more than a half hour from my place...and not on a Wednesday nite.

O.K.
How about next Wednesday in Washington, Pa?
:)

OldLefty wrote:
Dave, I am up for that.

Not till next fall ,we cancelled it this year because of Diane's mother passing away
Hopefully will start up again in Sept

beadhead2 wrote:
Not till next fall ,we cancelled it this year because of Diane's mother passing away
Hopefully will start up again in Sept

Count me in.

I am best at soft hackle nymphs. For dry flies it's the parachute adams. I'm ok at elk wing Caddis. I still need a lot of practice (I'm bad) at tying any other kind of wings on a dry fly.

Back