What are some good sites for learning the basics of flyfishing?

Im going to international angler fly shop in pittsburgh tomorrow to pick up some flies. What are some of the more common, successful flies i should get and what sizes? name as many as you want ill get whatever. also what is good for this time of year? any suggestions are welcome, cuz i have little clue what i should really get. thanks alot, tom

Tom,

This is a tough time of year to be starting out. May and June are going to treat you a lot better! Til then though, you'll learn a lot and probably catch a few. It's just you'll catch more and more consistantly when the weather gets nicer and bugs are more active on the stream. My "short list" for winter, with an eye toward steelhead and trout:

egg patterns: glo bugs, blood dots and/or sucker spawn. size 14 for trout, size 14 and larger for steelhead
wooleybuggers: white. white with some flash. black. black with some flash (esp if you can get red) in 14 and 8. In the Spring, you'll want brown and olive too.
crayfish: fresh stocked trout seem to like small crayfish patterns, dunno why
streamers: the wooleybuggers should have you covered but in clear water you may want some mickeyfins, size 14 & 8. With the wooleybuggers and streamers, you really want to hit pocket water. Present them just about anyway you want, but target undercut banks, root balls at the base of trees, pocket water and undercut rocks. If you ever canoed, cast to anything you'd have tried to stay away from in your boat.
nymphs: small (like 14 to 18) black stoneflies (I'd say big ones too, but you have the black wooleybuggers., zebra midges, princenymphs (14) and chamois worms.

You probably don't need ALL of these, but you may want to build up to a selection of sizes and patterns over time. Flies from a good shop will run you $2 to $3, and so it can get a little pricey when you start getting a dozen patterns in a dozen sizes! :-o Focus on a few sizes at first, and get one or two bright attractor patterns and then one or two dark, realistic patterns. If you get them half a dozen at a time, you can build up a good collection of patterns before you realize how expensive this hobby is! :-D

Or since it cold out for the next three months..you could learn to tie flies in anticipation of spring bluegill and trout fishing. A first outing on 'gills will allow you to learn to cast and detect strikes among other basic skills. You coul easily learn t tie a basic dry fly, nymph, bugger and some foam terrestrials. Vary the colors and sizes and by the time the big hatches come in April and May you could be good enough to tie more specific patterns or buy what you can't tie.

The other suggestions are all good too, this is just my suggestion.

gz-

I agree with all that has been said. There are so many areas to explore in the area of flyfishing from "what type of water you will be fishing, condition of the water, hatches...." It is fun to start to "figure out things" and I continue to do so.

This and golf are the most frustrating things on earth to me- but if you just continue to spend time and learn it'll payoff. In my case; it has been years of learning but by putting my time in I have learned alot. I still have along way to go where I want my casting to be but doesnt happen overnight. That is half the fun.

signed-
"approaching journeyman"

Orvis' website has an excellent section that contains instructional material...I also have found a lot of basic, useful information on

www.midcurrent.com

http://www.hooked-on-flies.com/

www.flyfisherman.com

Good luck!

Back