Wharton Natl. Forest

C

Clams

Hi,

Wondering if anyone here knows anything about the Wharton National Forest. I'd like to check out the area there for at least a hike and maybe do some fishing for bass or trout or whatever is in there. Theres a ton of water in the park, but I haven't been able to find any info about fishing. Thanks!

Try searching "Wharton State Forest fishing", there is some information available.

dc410 wrote:
Try searching "Wharton State Forest fishing", there is some information available.

True. For example, I found out that it's in NJ.

I did some fairly deep googling and only got about as much info as troutbert got

I think wharton is a pine barren, which means the water will be very tannic/acidic. My guess is very limited fishing opportunities. Also, Jersey devil.

Googling revealed: probably no trout fishing, but warmwater fishing such as bass and panfish.

If I lived nearby there, I'd go, just to explore.

"Do your sportin in Wharton"

That's an old saying from Wharton, PA.

troutbert wrote:
Googling revealed: probably no trout fishing, but warmwater fishing such as bass and panfish.

If I lived nearby there, I'd go, just to explore.

I agree with troutbert. If I lived close to that area I definitely would do some exploring. Sounds like a unique kind of fishery. Pickeral on a fly rod sounds like a lot of fun. Go for it!

Thanks. I'm going to try to get up there and see if i can catch pickerel, lmb, or smb. Lots of water up there so ill just have to choose somewhere and explore it.

Wharton State Forest is in South Jersey. It is part of the Jersey Pine Barrens. The Pines covers large parts of Burlington, Ocean, Atlantic and Cumberland Counties. It is part of Pine Barrens National Reserve. There are no trout as far as I know. It is not what people think of when they think of New Jersey. There are no oil refineries.
The terrain is very sandy with rolling hills. It is covered in pines of several species. The fish are mostly warm water species. Small streams and ponds are located in many places and the streams flow dark with tannic waters. It has a very high water table with water just a few feet below the surface.
It is a great place for hiking, canoeing, biking or kayaking. It has a fascinating history going back to the early 1700's. It is the birthplace of the Jersey Devil, the 13th son of Mother Leeds (don't get stuck in Leeds Point after midnight on a moonless night).
It produced iron for the revolutionary forces during the war of independence. It supplied masts for pirate ships and was the home to bandits.

A great hike in Wharton is a hike to the Carranza Memorial. If you are interested Wiki Jersey Devil or Ong's hat. Bring your kids for a great day or weekend. There are lots of campsites in the area and some nice ponds and lakes for swimming and wading.

I'm from Jersey all my life. Send me a pm if you are interested in further information.

Back