Wet Wading

Raven456

Raven456

I just got a nice pair of Ex Officio wet wading pants for Father's Day and can't wait to shed my waders for the summer. Has anyone used wet wading socks (neoprene?) My plan was to use my regular wading boots and thought that the wet wading socks with the gravel guards would be a good idea. I contemplated just wearing a regular thin sock but by foot would be swimming (literally) in the boot. Thoughts...

My first wet wade setup was a pair of Simms neoprenes and my regular wading boot, but I always felt too clunky with the boots. For me, I wet wade most around small creeks where there is more hiking involved. Sometimes I would wet-wade the Provo River, but once you hit the shade it can get mighty cold. When I am wet wading, I like to feel more nimble and agile, but with my freestones, that aint happenin! I never felt really sure footed (much like walking on a bowl full of Utah green jello), and long hikes were problematic. So I set off on a journey for my perfect wet wading setup.

I've messed with everything from Crocs, Tevas, Columbia's, Simms, and Patagucci's, but the most comfortable and most durable wet-wading shoes I have found are the Korkers Torrents. I have the sticky rubber soles on, and they are comfortable through hikes and are amazing crawling over rocks and in the water.

http://www.korkers.com/product.php?recKey=24

I wear neoprene wading socks with a gravel guard PLUS a thin pair of socks. It's a personal thing, I simply don't like the "squishy" feel of neoprene on my feet when they get wet. I also wear a pair of Cabelas boots with Aquastealth soles... perfect for tromping around -- in and out -- the stream/ lake on a summer day. (Geesh... Sounds like a line out of a catalog.)

I wet wade a lot in the summer months. I don't use my wading boots rather I use my wet wading shoes (Solomon and Columbia). They just have a regular rubber sole and not felt or metal studs, but they generally work just fine in most situations. I just recently bought a few pairs of running socks that are nylon/polyester blend at Sports Authority. I used to wear my wading shoes without socks, but after a good summer of use they became a bit smelly so I starting using these socks. They don't hold water like cotton will and are perfect for wet wading.

I use my regular Simms wading boots with a pair of Simms neoprene wading socks. They fit the same as when wearing waders. They work great for me and I wet wade a lot. I have not worn my waders in 6 weeks.

ditto what scotto said

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions. I'm going to try a pair of neoprene wading socks. I think Simms has a nice pair and Sierra Trading Post has some Cloudveils on sale as well. I'll post my findings.

Wet Wading?!! I fished the West Branch Delaware yesterday - water temp - 48. Even my neoprene's weren't warm enough. My feet were numb by the end of the night and I had to turn on the heat in my truck.

I was in Lake Placid last weekend and the WB Ausable temps were approaching 70 already.

I have the Orvis wet wading shoes which are basically a felt soled sneaker with a neoprene bootie. They are comfortable and I have been happy with them. I plan on wet wading Pine Creek in Tioga county this weekend so we'll see how cold the water is up there.

I have the same set up as Scotto and like it.

Dear Raven,

Regular wading shoes with neoprene socks with gravel guards have worked for me for about 20 years and I see no reason to change what works. I even use the same pair of socks under the neoprene booties for a whole summer, you don't need to re-invent the wheel.

Buy a cheap pair of wading socks with the built in gravel guards, don't waste your money on a $ 30.00 pair when you can do the job for less than half of that. You can even get by for less money if you already have gravel guards that detach from your waders.

Just wear a pair or two of heavy socks and your wading boots and put the gravel guards on like you were wearing regular waders.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

I picked up a pair of Simms socks with gravel guards from LL Bean mainly because I had a $10 gift certificate to use, so they ended up being 30 bucks shipped. Like everything I've picked up from Simms I am very happy with them, they're well made. Sierra Trading post is a great place, I've found some excellent deals there. Had they had the Cloudveils on there when I picked these up, it would have come down to the total cost. Cloudveil also makes quality stuff.

I wear them with my wading boots and either a liner sock only or with a pair of smart wool socks over top as I would my waders. If I know I'm going to be up to the knees in water, I will put neoprene socks on the inside. I recently rediscovered Seal Skins socks that I'd picked up several years back that hadn't seen much use. They have been great to add into the rotation, not completely needed but nice to have.

I tried sandals in the past but fish lots of freestoners being on the Western side of the state and like the added protection to my feet. Got my feet hung up/smashed beetween rocks a couple of times where as the same situation in the boot doesn't hurt.

I use Cabela's Ultralight Wading shoe with the studded soles. For the sock I use an extra heavy double knit gray and orange hunting sock that comes up to my knees. Then I turn the sock down over the top of my boot. The sock gives a comfortable snug fit and acts as a gravel guard at the same time. Used them last night fishing the tail waters of the the Gauley river in WV.

I was in Lake Placid last weekend and the WB Ausable temps were approaching 70 already.

(hangs head and sighs........) I leave tomorrow. :-(

Just got this email from Blue Ribbon Flies:

"Korkers Grey If you're looking for a lightweight wading boot with the versatility of rubber, felt or studded soles, Korkers will cover all the bases.

Over fifty years ago the first Korkers product was created in the basement of Korkers' founder. Made by hand using scrap rubber, nylon cord, and carbide spikes, Korkers "River Cleats" were born. The functional, yet versatile design of the cleat system quickly grew as a favorite among fishermen, and spread to provide traction safety to a number of industrial applications.

Today, under new ownership, Korkers has taken the fundamental values of Korkers original design of functional and versatile footwear to another level. By incorporating OmniTrax V2 Interchangeable Sole Technology, Korkers has developed a full line of versatile footwear systems that gives you the unique ability to maximize performance, despite conditions. No matter where your next adventure takes you or what surprise mother nature might throw at you, with Korkers you'll always be ready.

Blue Ribbon has just started carrying Korkers, and we already have a discontinued color (grey) in the Torrent Trail Shoe, and have marked it down to $54.99 in men's sizes 9 - 13. The brown version is $99.99, and the interchangeable soles are $24.99 per pair.

If you want the choice of felt some days and rubber other days, or if you want to trade out the studs for the skid-proof boat-safe soles, Korkers will give you all the options."

I would jump on these. These are the best wet-wading shoes I have found. They're great for hiking too. And at that price....

For most of my summer wet wading in bass creeks I like my plain ole Cabelas wading boots with a beat up old pair of atheletic socks. Just roll the sock up and ball it at the top of the boot and this will keep out all but the most determined gravel. I don't care to wade without felt or cleats so these work fine for me. Perhaps more important, make sure you have long pants - I like the nylon types that shed water and have a zipper converting them into shorts. Fishing summer vegetation with shorts is asking for a painful experience. I like to treat my nylon wading pants with permethrin to ward off ticks. Bring a pair of sandals and when you're done fishing you can unzip the muddy, wet lower legs, shed the boots/socks and air dry your feet in the sandals.

Don't fret Spectorfly. Lots of rain htis weekend and cooler air temps should cool the river.

Up until about 5 years ago I used an old pair of sneakers and my wading pants were an old pair of jeans.

Now that I've gotten back into it, every Chrsitmas, birthday, father's day, anniversary, Arbor Day etc brings fly fishing stuff. My latest wet wading is a pair of Cabela's wet wading boots and Simms wading socks. Depending on the water I may add a pair of Velcro gaiters to keep to pebbels oou. I will on occasion use my regular wading boots. For the legs it's either shorts or quick dry fishing pants.

I rarely do it, but on occasion I do. I just wear swimming trunks with the neoprene wading socks, my regular wading boots overtop. Works just fine. I believe my socks are Orvis brand from FFP, but certainly no need to go expensive brands here. If you spend more than $15 on the socks, you spent too much. I just don't see any advantage over breathable waders if you're going to wear pants anyway, its only an advantage if you're in swimming trunks. But then I can only do it if I'm not expecting to bust any brush or be in poison ivy situations, etc.

(hangs head and sighs........) I leave tomorrow.

Early mornings, fast water (which that stream has plenty of pocket water areas).

Back