Wet wading warm water

Chaz

Chaz

Here's a good reason to not wet wade.
http://www.storiesthatmatter.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=123&Itemid=1

Dear Chaz,

I didn't see PA on the list? Most of those people were fishing, or otherwise in, coastal waters and unfortunately we all know that everything from upstream winds up in the ocean eventually.

I guess if I wade fished for redfish and speckled trout in Florida I'd be a little concerned, but around here I don't were waders after May 1st, it's like not wearing white after Labor Day for me! :-D

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

I'm with Tim on this one, though my wet wading doesn't start until June 1st. Thanks for the info, somethinng to think about when heading to the beach. Maybe with this info I can talk my wife into the Smokies instead of the beach? :-D

JH

Chaz,

Maybe you should wear a full body condom, because even when wet wading, you still touch the water. Don't you?

I have to be honest, I didn't read the article, and just looked at the pictures. :-D I'm not going to worry about it.

The odds of getting that bacteria are what? Look at the numbers over the years (I did look at the chart), and then look up how many people visit the beaches and how many times they visit in those states each year. It puts the odds at 1 in millions. Also, consider that these cases are all in salt water.

Your odds drowning are greater. Your odds of getting struck by lightning are much greater. And lets not talk about the odds of getting killed in a traffic accident on the way to the fishing spot. Maybe you should wear a flack jacket and helmet when you drive. Why heck, maybe you should just stay home ... in a bubble ... with filtered air supply ... (add sarcasm font)

The day when i feel unsafe to wet wade for trout, is the day i give up trout fishing. It is as simple as that. A big part of the fishing experience (probably the bigget part) for me is coming in contact with nature, and if I need a layer of latex between me and nature, then I'm not going to bother.

The leading cause of death is living too darn long.

I used to wet wade. I picked up a drug resistant infecction in my leg (MRSA) last fall. It was pretty scarry till they got it under control. My wife (the nurse) says I can't wet wade anymore, so I got a nice pair of breathable hip waders for summer wear.

I have wet waded for years, often in big rivers with "issues" like the Susquehanna. I have never had a problem. I have picked up a few leeches in slow sections and I am careful about cleaning cuts and scratches with hydrogen peroxide. I will admit to wearing waders more these days, more for protection from grass and vegetation, but I still like to wet wade small creeks.

Like many others, I used to wet wade all the time. But as I have siad before, stinging nettles, poison ivy and oak, ticks, Lyme disease etc. have pretty much put an end to it. Just replaced my hippers which I was always filling with water by going in 1/2" too deep with a pair of waist-high breathables. Not as easy as pulling on boot-foot hippers, but a good alternative to going wet.

Back