Wet Fly Leader Formula

TimRobinsin

TimRobinsin

anyone have a good 15 - 17 ' wet fly leader formula they want to share? I have been experimenting but still would like to get a little easier turnover at long distances with light tippet. what are you feelings on tippet rings vs knot tags for droppers?

I use both tippet ring and knot tags (not at the same time, obviously) and have never noticed any difference between them. I also use New Zealand rigging (daisy chaining off the hook bend) and believe that it casts better that way, but possibly with some loss of hook up power in the top dropper.

15 to 17 sounds like it might be a bit longer than you need. I usually start with a 9' 5x off-the-shelf tapered leader, and then add 3 feet of 5x to that to the top dropper. I then add another 2 feet or so of 6x to the point fly. If I'm fishing a free-stone where I might expect larger fish, I use 4x and 5x instead.

Turning over wet flies is generally not that difficult because they tend to not be as air resistant as bushy dries.

Do you add split shot?If so,where on the leader??

Almost never. I usually fish wets in the film, adding shot would be self-defeating.

When I sometimes add shot in the winter, it goes between the two flies.

Just my 2 cents, and based off of how I fish wets Afishn. But, depending on how the fish are feeding, I'm usually across or upstream of my target area, and I imagine split shot would ruin the drifting of the flies on those circumstances. Reason being that they're feeding higher in the water column, which will also have faster current speed, as opposed to a slow drift along the bottom.

I adjust my initial depth with a tuck or reach cast, then mend accordingly. If fishing from an upstream position, sweep your rod gently to the side to get a better hookset.

Tim, I messaged you some pics of formulas.

given the water I was fishing and conditions I needed a 15' - 17' to get the drift I was looking for without spooking fish.

while other anglers were fishing dries upstream and across they were not hooking up.

swinging wets downstream with a long leader was very effective.

I guess I will have to keep experimenting.

Derek, I haven't looked at Leadercalc in awhile but I think you can enter the desired leader length and diameter (3x, 4x, etc) and it'll give you an appropriate breakdown of sections. Also, I think Scandi guys (underhand casters) use really long knotted mono leaders for swinging so 15'+ probably isn't unheard of but might be a little awkward with a 9' rod. Hell, give it a shot.

http://globalflyfisher.com/fish-better/leadercalc2007

Back