wet fly 2 dropper leader----- fish 3 flies

ALL HAIL THE POWERS OF TWEED'S MONO FURLED LEADER SYSTEM :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

maxima ,

what is your nymph rig in tippet sizes or lb test in lenghts too for a 1 fly set up ? my theory was a thicker line diameter leader up toward the flyline which is riding near the surface , which is where most of the drag is obtained , would have more surface area for the water to push against , thus speeding up the offering below that line , but i am probably wrong , just hate to try to fix something thats not broke thats all

jayL wrote:
Max,

Many great fishermen recommend using flat, thin leaders for nymphing. The idea is that they sink uniformly. In a tapered leader, the only part that sinks properly is the tippet. The greater butt diameter will sink more slowly, and will also incur more drag. These all factor in to drag and lack of contact with the flies.

He actually said "wet fly" not nymph (unless he edited it before I came across the thread.) With traditional wets, you're not necessarily trying to get them to sink all that far; the top six inches of water is more like it. (Think more emerger than bottom dredger.)

The old-school set up for wet flies is indeed to use a short section of stiff leader material (gut, back in the day) to hold the two top droppers out from the leader. (Notice that "dropper" in this sense means any fly not at the end the leader, not a fly "dropped" behind a dry fly.) The stiffer material help keep the dropper from wrapping itself around the main leader.

Wet fly leaders are a whole different ballgame than nymph leaders.

hey red ,

at the end of his post it says "perfect for nymphing " when he speaks of the leaders he talks about in the begining of his post , most here know the difference between emergers , wets , nymphs and drys , just wanted clarify why i thought he meant it was a nymph rig , maybe i am wrong though

stiff mono tied to keep the flys away from the main leader is not the way i would do it , makes the presentation look un natuaral as far as i am concerned , soft subtle leaders in say 5x or 6x are what i use to seperate flys for a more natural looking fly in the drift , but each to there own

troutslammer wrote:
stiff mono tied to keep the flys away from the main leader is not the way i would do it , makes the presentation look un natuaral as far as i am concerned , soft subtle leaders in say 5x or 6x are what i use to seperate flys for a more natural looking fly in the drift , but each to there own

It's not the way I do it either (I tie hook bend to eye) but it's the way it's been done for at least the last five hundred years, and probably the way it's been done for the last several thousand. And if you want to bounce the top dropper (the "bob" or "hand fly" as they say in the British Isles) having the fly well away from the leader means that you can hoover the fly without the bit of tippet attached to the fly touching the water at all. It's harder to do with an in-line rig.

I fish wet flies almost exclusively, and can describe half a dozen or more ways to assemble a multi-fly rig that somebody or another thinks is perfect, and can give a reasonable explanation of why it's perfect. (Nothing's perfect as far as I'm concerned.) The setup he described is both reasonable and very traditional. And he's correct that the stiffness of the dropper tippet is important if you're going that route.

And as to whether the original actually meant wets or nymphs, I don't have clue; I was giving him the benefit of the doubt.

redietz wrote:
And as to whether the original actually meant wets or nymphs, I don't have clue; I was giving him the benefit of the doubt.

How about giving me the same benefit?

As troutslammer pointed out, he recommended it for nymphing.

jayL wrote:

How about giving me the same benefit?

Actually, I wrote that to say that you could very will be right. Sorry, I didn't mean to offend, just offer an alternative view of the post. He also recommended it for wets in the title. Who knows?

To be very clear, I didn't mean to imply that there was anyone who replied to this thread that doesn't know they were talking about. Newbies following the thread might want to know that minus the final paragraph, the original post makes sense.

would like to clarify nymphing. these leaders can be used to fish 3 nymphs, or a combination nymph, wets. a nice weighted stone on point and wets on drops. not intended to offend the true nymphers with their set ups. light tippet highly recommended to reduce drag. maybe i should have not stated perfect for nymphing. thanks guys. very nice to read your responses. maxima.

maxima,

I have been meaning to try wets with heavy nymphs to get them down. I will give that a shot.

many different set ups will work its always nice to read different ways of doing it here , i have to admit i am guilty of not wanting to try different set ups because u hate to change if ur catching fish your way , but i am working on my stubborness guys

troutslammer, love ya man, it's good that men of the art of fishing can meet, fishing binds like glue on paper. never really met a bad fishermen. maybe he was starting out, unable to cast, didn't have the right fly, in the wrong spot. i've always managed to give up my spot, give up my flies and give up all the leaders he can hold in two hands. for me, watching the less avid catch a fish, is truely a gift from god. i go very simple, i had a lot of those 25 pocket vests, the best you could get. only problem, i couldn"t find what the hell i was looking for. over and over, with a unlit cigarette in my mouth, wondering where is the 10 packs of matches and the 2 lighters.

may your fly stay out of your ear. maxima

i have to admit i am guilty of not wanting to try different set ups because u hate to change if ur catching fish your way , but i am working on my stubborness guys

I find that the longer I fish, the more I want change exactly when I'm catching fish. It's like "OK. That works, the fish are taking. I wonder what else works?" It took me a long time to get to that point. I'm not sure if it's a sign of maturity or if I'm getting ADD in my old age.

maxima12 wrote:
would like to clarify nymphing. these leaders can be used to fish 3 nymphs, or [color=CC0000]a combination nymph, wets. a nice weighted stone on point and wets on drops.[/color] not intended to offend the true nymphers with their set ups. light tippet highly recommended to reduce drag. maybe i should have not stated perfect for nymphing. thanks guys. very nice to read your responses. maxima.

I often use the same set-up as Maxie. A weighted fly on the point (a SF is a great choice) and some wets, maybe a winged wet in the middle and a soft hackle on the upper. This is a great rig for searching the entire water column bottom to tip. Fish it quartering upstream drag-free, allow it to swing across and try short strips or hand twist retrieve when downstream. Cast and repeat, you are covering all levels with several different types of flies, and using several different types of presentations, all on one cast. You're bound to find where, how and what the fish are taking. Good luck.

Back