Wet Flies

The downstream swing can be helped by frequent mends to slow the flies down.

Shakey's fly list is an awful lot like mine. The old brown or gray hackle peacock and Pass lake are staples for me.

I also carry the William's favorite, which is a Black Pennell without the tail and can be thought of as the wet fly version of a Zebra midge.

redietz wrote:
Salvelinusfontinali wrote:

That's true, but wouldn't you say that swinging is the most productive?

No.

It's the way that requires the least skill. Upstream can be much more productive, especially if the fish are being in the least selective, and often results in larger fish.

Small insects don't naturally rapidly swim across the stream (most of the time.)

This isn't to say that you should never a swing a wet; it's physically the least demanding method, and I'm lazy enough to do it.

Turn around sometime and see just how productive upstream can be.

I have.

What do you guy use for the hackle on the smaller size wets like 16 down? I find I can't find partridge small enough.

Thanks

Nate540 wrote:
What do you guy use for the hackle on the smaller size wets like 16 down? I find I can't find partridge small enough.

Thanks

There are techniques to use large hackle on small flies.
Here is a video to one such technique..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31DWumnrPIs

Thats awesome thats I'll be trying that tonight!!

Nate540 wrote:
Thats awesome thats I'll be trying that tonight!!

It takes some practicing, and don't expect your first few to look good. (atleast mine didn't). But once you get the "feel" for it you can turn out some pretty nice flies with much larger hackle.

Nate540 wrote:

Thanks

There are techniques to use large hackle on small flies.
Here is a video to one such technique..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31DWumnrPIs

Great video.

Nate540 wrote:

Thanks

I use starling, bobwhite, and the smallest hen neck.

LongLineRelease wrote:
Nate540 wrote:

Thanks

+1^ The neck feathers from a starling are very small and fine. They are a bit fragile to tie with but are great for small size soft hackles.

+1

For smaller wet fly hackle I mostly use the feathers off the shoulder of mallard wings. Nice dun color and can get down to size 20.

shakey wrote:
I find that swinging is only a part of fishing with a wet.

IDK,i catch a good amount while dead drifting.

however,i can say that swinging is the most fun!

LongLineRelease wrote:
Nate540 wrote:

Thanks

i find california quial has some tiny hackle too.

shakey wrote:
shakey wrote:
I find that swinging is only a part of fishing with a wet.

IDK,i catch a good amount while dead drifting.

however,i can say that swinging is the most fun!

Same here, dead drift is also productive. I fish a soft hackle as my top fly on a nymph rig 90% of the time, always pick up a few with it, especially if caddis are coming off.

Back