Western States all-around rod weight

Taking only one rod is a taking a huge chance. What if it gets shipped to Hawaii or you break it? I go to Montana every year (and have fished the BH quite a bit) and never take less than two rods, sometimes three. Rods don't weigh very much even in their metal tubes. If you are only fishing the BH I would take a 9' # 5 4 piece for ease of travel or a 2 piece if you don't have a 4 piece. There is no need to bring any rod heavier than a #5 unless you are planning on swinging or stripping more streamers than nymphs and dries.

If you feel the need to throw some streamers of weighted nymphs bring another spool or a another reel with and line up with a #6 WF line.

If the thought of taping two or more rod tubes together and leaving tape residue on the tubes bothers anyone, try using a couple of adjustable velcro straps. I suppose you could also use appropriately sized rubberbands.

I have some small bungee cords I'm planning to use.

I would never go on a trip carrying only one rod. It's just to risky.
For the BH I like my 5 with a floater and my 6 with a sink tip for in between the hatches/spinner falls. I also carry a reel spooled with a 6 floater just in case...

Anther tip. I showed up at check in In HBG with a daypack on my back and a rod in my hand and was charged for an extra carryon. I now tie it on my daypack until I am clear of the nutjobs at check in. (I carry one rod and stuff one or two in my luggage). Have fun!

Been there and done that! I would like to say a few friends out west! A couple, nice people When west, I leaded the gang, blind by nature but visions from above. Not really different from here.

Eye on the stream! Move, change, change leaders, change flies, too hot, wait till dusk, set up and get ready. Boat, too fast, slow down! Catch one, catch two and move!

Fast by nature but foul by blessings! Big one's, you better have a 2x on. The run, and pole bent, tired arms, sweat dripping off the tip of nose! That's West! And then what? You did it! I did it, does it really matter. Maybe, if i am writing a book.

Yes, i must admit, i like it but in reality, I am happy to be home! Pa. home. West is cool, the Tetons, who would fish with the chance of trapping a "Big Cat". You know, a smoke, some bacon, jerky and a big desire! A day, a week, a shanty and some spirit.

Seems spirit has been a losing cause. Spirit has been left a little shy! Money, is the tool that fits all hands West!

Maxima12

Fish your favorite rod but not sure why you are limiting yourself to one rod. If you want, take 3 and wrap them with duct tape and they will count as one carry on. I have been to Montana a handful times and have used, 4, 5 and 6 wt rods. My 4 wt is 10' and I can cast a dry fly pretty far. The conditions can change out there. One day in September it was 14 degrees in the morning (West Yellowstone). By noon it was in the mid-60's

Back