West Yellowstone

salmo

salmo

Headed to Montana and Yellowstone with my son. Any suggestions on a smaller park stream with access to cutthroat? Hiking in and out not more than 2 miles each way on moderate terrain.

Thanks.

Two suggestions for smaller streams with cutthroat and easy access close to West Yellowstone would be the upper reaches of the Gallatin, going north on Rt 191 from West Yellowstone, fishing above Big Sky (parts are in the Park, and parts are out of the Park, where you’d potentially need both a MT and a Park fishing License depending on which sections of it you’d fish). Also, there’s the Gibbon River, probably above the Gibbon Falls.

Driving in the Park can be a nightmare, so both of these would minimize your driving time going into the Park from West Yellowstone, however, if you don’t mind driving farther, there’s also Soda Butte and Slough Creek out in the Lamar Valley.

Two suggestions for smaller streams with cutthroat and easy access close to West Yellowstone would be the upper reaches of the Gallatin, going north on Rt 191 from West Yellowstone, fishing above Big Sky (parts are in the Park, and parts are out of the Park, where you’d potentially need both a MT and a Park fishing License depending on which sections of it you’d fish). Also, there’s the Gibbon River, probably above the Gibbon Falls.

Driving in the Park can be a nightmare, so both of these would minimize your driving time going into the Park from West Yellowstone, however, if you don’t mind driving farther, there’s also Soda Butte and Slough Creek out in the Lamar Valley.
I fished the Gibbon years ago. Brown, brook, cuts, cut bows and grayling all in the same day. Thanks for the recommendation

Hoppers...two options take US Highway 191 north out of West Yellowstone, both are about a 30 min drive.
1. Fan Creek about 2 mile hike to meadow. Fan Creek meanders gently through the meadow easy fishing.
2. Specimen Creek trail along the creek' pocket water.
Beware bear country . bring bear spray

Two suggestions: the upper Gibbon in Virginia Meadows was re-established with cutthroats a few years back and is easy to get to and fish. The other is Cascade Creek that flows out of Cascade Lake. It is easy to access where it crosses the road near Canyon Village. Small stream, small cutthroats with an occasional 10-11 incher. Dapping is a good method in this small stream. Fish from below so they don’t spot you - they can be spooky. I usually fish on the side going up towards the lake. Have fun.

So my son and I fished the Soda Butte creek just about the junction with the Lamar. Fabulous fishing. Thanks for the tips.

What day were you there Salmo? I am driving back east as we speak. Fished in the park Tuesday to Thursday. We saw a dead Buffalo in Lamar valley Wednesday and watched at daylight and dark coming and going from the park in hopes of seeing a grizzly. Saw pictures posted on Facebook of a grizzly on the carcass first thing Friday am.

We had 2 excellent days in the park we took longer hikes to get away from people.

What day were you there Salmo? I am driving back east as we speak. Fished in the park Tuesday to Thursday. We saw a dead Buffalo in Lamar valley Wednesday and watched at daylight and dark coming and going from the park in hopes of seeing a grizzly. Saw pictures posted on Facebook of a grizzly on the carcass first thing Friday am.

We had 2 excellent days in the park we took longer hikes to get away from people.
We were in the Park for tourist stuff on August 15. Did float trips on the Madison 16&17. Drive ta Butte for some beautiful healthy cutthroat. We saw beards of buffalo, 2 grizzly (from a distance) and around dawn on the 19th heard a wolf pack gathering for the day.

Yellowstone is awesome.
What were cuthroats hitting?

Yep I'll second the Lamar River from where Soda Butte creek joins on down....glad ya found it.
Hoppers, attractors with droppers, etc.
Easy access and easy wading.
That was always an easy favorite area to take clients to catch fish when I was guiding in the park.
I had to go hand to hand with a net vs an Osprey that was trying to take a client's trout one day. LOL
That was a persistent bird! LOL
Some nice fish in that stretch.
Also Slough Creek.....
The lower meadow has some great fish. The upper meadows get less pressure and can be very good but it's a solid climb right at the trailhead. Trail is good, just a little steep out of the gate.
If you want a unique experience take the easy 3 mile flat hike back into Cascade lake.
It's easily fished from shore and is shallow enough on the backside to wade. It's got cutthroat and one of the only spots to catch grayling.
Just be mindful of bears and Bison in any of those areas.

Last edited:
Fished the Lamar year ago. It was slow until a big storm blew in. Fish started rising everywhere but there was also a wicked wind to contend with. Had to hightail it about 1/4 mile back to the car where my wife was waiting. Made it just as huge drops came down. Still remember the monster I lost near a big blow down. (Hopper dropper combo)

We were in the Park for tourist stuff on August 15. Did float trips on the Madison 16&17. Drive ta Butte for some beautiful healthy cutthroat. We saw beards of buffalo, 2 grizzly (from a distance) and around dawn on the 19th heard a wolf pack gathering for the day.

I also did a float trip on the Madison on the 17th. Had a great time and caught the grand slam (rainbow, cutthroat, brown, whitefish). Maybe we floated by each other.

I also did a float trip on the Madison on the 17th. Had a great time and caught the grand slam (rainbow, cutthroat, brown, whitefish). Maybe we floated by each other.
That’s so cool. How did you do on the Madison

Two suggestions: the upper Gibbon in Virginia Meadows was re-established with cutthroats a few years back and is easy to get to and fish. The other is Cascade Creek that flows out of Cascade Lake. It is easy to access where it crosses the road near Canyon Village. Small stream, small cutthroats with an occasional 10-11 incher. Dapping is a good method in this small stream. Fish from below so they don’t spot you - they can be spooky. I usually fish on the side going up towards the lake. Have fun.
Two of our favorite places.

Stepson and cousin a few days ago on Gallatin, Madison , Yellowstone, Boulder on a Flycraft. First time I’ve logged in months - let me know if looking for streams still. Good luck.

Attachments

• IMG_1769.jpeg
    IMG_1769.jpeg
    271.2 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_7974.jpeg
    IMG_7974.jpeg
    224.8 KB · Views: 68
Stepson and cousin a few days ago on Gallatin, Madison , Yellowstone, Boulder on a Flycraft. First time I’ve logged in months - let me know if looking for streams still. Good luck.
Those are wonderful looking browns. Boulder? Looks like a like a healthy stream flow for August too.

Headed to Montana and Yellowstone with my son. Any suggestions on a smaller park stream with access to cutthroat? Hiking in and out not more than 2 miles each way on moderate terrain.

Thanks.
Where did you stay? Hotel, VRBO?

Back