West Branch Delaware

T

Troy

I'm heading up to Hancock on Friday to fish the West Branch. I have only fished it a few times so I am pretty much a novice up there. Anyway, Hancock is supposed to get anywhere from 1-2 inches of rain the next couple days. I have one simple question, but I know there really isn't a simple answer. Normally, with high water, will hatches still come off and will fish still rise?

On Friday, it should be on its way down, but I'm sure it will still have some color. I guess I just want to know if it will still be worth heading up. I will be wading, not floating. I really don't expect to have a banner day or anything, but I just don't want to waste my time or money. The rain could be a bust, but right now I'm planning like the flow will be high. I know the west branch has been talked about a lot lately. Sorry for bringing it up again. Thanks!

If the flow is too high to get a reasonable drift (that is less than 4 feet per second), the fish will not rise (except directly behind rocks or in back eddies).

Water that looks dirty to humans peering in on the surface, is fairly clear for the trout in the stream. Of course their range is shorter-- they wont be charging a #32 midge from 6 feet away. Therefore, fish accordingly.

I would not hesitate to fish a "muddy" stream, so long as the wading and drifting is not so treacherous.

Plus, you can always tie on a meaty streamer in dark colors.

I know streamers would be an option, but I want to go for the dry fly action. I also know that everything depends on the mood of the fish. I guess I just want to know I won't be wasting my time. This time of year I like to fish dries. I nymph and streamer fish a lot during the rest of the year, but I want to be able to have a chance fishing a dry. Thanks!

Troy, we had very good dry fly action at 4500+CFS. Go fishing! You never know if you don't try. If there is some color, Deposit and Stilesville may still be clear. It'd take a lot of rain for the lake to start spilling, but if they do... Streamers to the bank!
Good Luck!

Replying:

Wasn't trying to patronize, I just thought the answer was that until you assess conditions on the stretch you plan to fish, you won't get an accurate answer. That assessment cannot come through speculation, but rather observation. Until the rains come, a good answer was already given.

Yeah - as DaveS said - move closer to the dam if the lower part is brown. During this very rainy spring, I've been able to find clear water below dams in quite a few places this year.

I would also add that wading the WB could be a concern at high flows.
I like it to be 1,000 CFS or less. Although I have waded it up to about 1,500 CFS in a few spots where the water is spread out more

If they get a gully washer, you'll need to get above Ocagua dumps in. You will share it with all other waders though.

If you have 3"-6" of clarity, they'll rise. They know what's hatching and will be looking for that food source. Some of the best dry fly fishing I've had has been while it's stained.

JackM wrote:
Replying:

Wasn't trying to patronize, I just thought the answer was that until you assess conditions on the stretch you plan to fish, you won't get an accurate answer. That assessment cannot come through speculation, but rather observation. Until the rains come, a good answer was already given.

I know you weren't trying to patronize. I knew the replies were going to be pure speculation. I just wanted to hear what some others thought who might have a lot more experience up there than me. I guess I just wanted to hear someone say "go for it" and not someone saying "don't waste your time".

Thanks everyone!

1" of rain equates to 5% of reservoir storage. Unfortunately, it seems like the WEst Branch gets turned to mud very easily. But the watershed is big, and one stem might be blown and other drainage might be fine.

Unfortunately, you will have to wait and see, and roll the dice whether to hit it or not. I could see the rain potentially causing Cannonsville to spill, and then that would trigger a release. But like others have said, that release and spill water should be clean.

Also, I don't trust the reports up there. Their idea of 'stained' is my idea of dirty. Just like ski reports - its always powder/packed powder up there, even when it is frozen granular. LOL

I'd go and fish beadheads in the riffles earlier but stake out a spot for evening when things have been happening. If they start that splashing with sulphers on the water trail a little beadhead. Buckingham looks like big water but it can be very good into the dark. Either way fish late. The Italian place in Hancock is open late as is the west branch angler bar till ten I think for food.

Little Italy open til 11 on weekends.

Troy wrote:

I know you weren't trying to patronize. I knew the replies were going to be pure speculation. I just wanted to hear what some others thought who might have a lot more experience up there than me. I guess I just wanted to hear someone say "go for it" and not someone saying "don't waste your time".

Thanks everyone!

Troy, listen to krayfish and ignore input from the other side of the state. Seriously, shoot me a message and I will filter it through kray who actually knows what he is doing.

My guess is they will eat yellow bugs.

Actually, Jack is spot on. I just got back from fishing there last night. The River is in great shape. There may be or may not be severe T-storms today......you'll just have to wait and see. Check the gauges and the DRC and WBA reports. How and where to fish the D is always a game time decision.

Fishing was tough during the day, but things happened right at dark with the sulphers. Iso's here and there all day along with small olives and tan caddis. We fished the lower west. Most of of the floaters reported more bugs on the middle west.

Good luck on your trip.

I don't care what the reports say I was just there and you better have sz. 20 sulphurs in amber and yellow.

Thanks everyone, but all I really wanted to know was if the fish normally still rise during high and stained water. I want to fish dries and if the river shuts down during high and stained water, I was going to go elsewhere. I don't feel like nymphing or using a streamer. Some stream's fish and hatches completely shut off during high flows. I was hoping the WB wasn't one of them.

I'm going to go regardless of the rain. Like I said, I guess I just wanted to hear someone tell me to "go for it" and not to hear "don't bother". I know it is all speculation. Thanks again!

Troy wrote:
I know streamers would be an option, but I want to go for the dry fly action. I also know that everything depends on the mood of the fish. I guess I just want to know I won't be wasting my time. This time of year I like to fish dries. I nymph and streamer fish a lot during the rest of the year, but I want to be able to have a chance fishing a dry. Thanks!

Well if you refuse to be flexible with what type of flies you're willing to use, then yes, you could be wasting your time. Hope for dry fly fishing but plan to be flexible if it's not happening.

Realistically the fish are not going to rise in dirty water this time of year. The big bugs like you get earlier in the year are not happening right now. Throw streamers near the bank.

OK, many decent points made in previous posts. I'll summarize with this.....

Ryan has a great point. If you aren't willing to be flexible, you greatly reduce your chances. What if you can see the fish chasing caddis that are swimming up but won't touch an adult on the surface. You go down to them or go fishless.

VC's post said that the fish won't feed on top this time of year in dirty water. I don't know a better response to that other than WRONG. Took fish on #20 sulphur emergers last year when the visibility was virtually zero and the river was filled with weed clumps and algae. I floated for 2 miles bouncing off the banks taking a nap when my buddy called and said are you seeing all of the rising fish? I didn't want to fish with the water that dirty. Found a pod of 5...caught 4 of them and they were all 19"-22" and then moved down river to a different pool where we found another pod and caught all 6 of them and 2 of the fish taped 22".

Troy,
You will learn that just about anything is possible on that river system at any given time. You could have great hatches and not a fish to be found rising. The guy 500 yards away doesn't have any bugs but is stacking up fish like cord wood.

Muddy conditions might not be best for the fish to see the bugs but that also swings things in your favor. You may need to search a little harder to find the risers but the big boys feel safe in the dirty water and will feed during the day on little stuff. In 'section A' of the river, you might see sulphurs every day at 9:30am. You move to 'section B' and the sulphurs might run from 11 - 3pm and be mixed with some caddis. 'section C' doesn't get much of a daytime sulphur hatch but has a bunch of caddis and Iso popping during the day. Then in the evening....sulphurs, stenos, olives and spinners. What you see will be determined by where you are. If you have dirty water and are searching by blind casting on the shady areas...toss them a #10 iso with a yellow soft hackle hanging 8" under it. Take a picture of what the result is.

It could suck, it could be great...you never know. The one thing I'm sure of is sitting at home won't catch fish. No matter what you get handed, try to learn and observe. You might walk up to a pool, look for 15 seconds and then move on. If you sit for 30 minutes, you all of the sudden see the far bank is lined up fish after fish sipping on sulphur cripples. Get up there and have some fun.

As for flows and releases, good luck trying to make sense out of the flow pattern. It's been pretty steady for a while, but the temps below Buckingham are starting to warm which may or may not result in an additional amount being let out. Pretty heavy rains might hit the area. The lakes are low enough that they shouldn't spill or wouldn't spill for a day or so (valley runoff needs to reach the lake). Based on predicted rainfall, they may or may not blow water out of the lake in the next 2 days. I wouldn't bet on that though.

I'm not afraid to change my tactics. If there is a chance they could be rising, that is all I need. Of course they might not rise, but at least there is a chance. This was a pretty stupid question to begin with, but I thought I would ask it anyway. It's not a cheap trip for me with the hotel, gas, and tolls. I just wanted to kind of make sure it could be worth my while going up there. I have only been up there three times and the fish that were caught were all on dries. I have never had any luck with streamers or nymphs. That is why I hope to be able to fish dries. It's easier finding the fish in such a big river, especially wading compared to floating.

Thanks everyone! Obviously, I just need to go and see what happens. I am not a dry fly snob, but I would much rather use a dry, especially there. No matter what, it will beat work. I love that area and the beer will still be cold. That alone, will make the trip worthwhile. Also, if all else fails, I will at least gain a little more knowledge of the system.

Back