Weaving flies

mike_richardson

mike_richardson

Anyone every create these paterns or have any advice. I want to learn how to do them. Any tips or tricks are appreciated. I did not google them yet and figured I would hit you guys up first. Also tips on material to use and ways to save money will be appreciated as well.

Aaron Jasper did a video which I think is still on Youtube on using the Davey Wotten method (two bobbins). That's how I learned. It takes some time to learn the tension but once you get it, it's not that tough.

There's also an overhand knot method that George Maciag taught me but I've never found anything about it online. It is easier, but much more time consuming.

Also, go to AC Moore and get some embroidery thread. That's all you need. It's a little thick, so strip it down to 2-3 strands depending on hook size.

Thanks for the helpful insight guys. I also replied to your pm beadhead2.

I really want to add these to my arsenal. I normally tie flies that work and don't focus on the beauty and elegance that can be achieved. I wanted to start expanding my abilities more, and use it as some stress relief.

Not saying my box wont be full of the "ugliest" flies you guys will see. The trout like them and I catch a ton of fish but not ones i would post pictures of like the artists in this sub forum.

I started getting interested in this idea with my crayfish patterns.

Beadhead, where ya been on a date with loum ??

I prefer the overhand method. It is a bit easier to learn and I like the end product a bit more. The video linked below is for a warmwater fly, but I think it is one of the better descriptions of the overhand method. The top accent strip is optional.

Cajun Tickler

Mike.

Three tips:

1. It helps to have a somewhat flat base. ie tie in some lead and flatten it. Only applies to nymphs, obviously

2. Try using wire your first few times. It stays put when you accidentally let go of the tension. Plus fish like it

3. Use relatively thick material. I did my first few with medium chenille on a big hook. After that I tried embroidery floss, but used multiple stands for each side. Easier to handle and takes less time/material to make the body.

My experience only, your mileage may vary.

I prefer to use single strand Uni-floss. Comes on spools so it fits easily in bobbins. I rib it with either clear mono or small ultra wire.

Uni-Stretch is nice stuff also.

hammertime wrote:

It is! and near as I can tell, a product called bulk nylon that you can buy at Joanne's is the same stuff available in more colors and a lot cheaper. You have to re-spool it if you want to use it on a bobbin, but its worth it if you use a lot of the stuff. I have never tried to weave it, but I use it all the time to cover up lead wraps and form a smooth foundation before weaving floss bodies, or sometimes just to create some bulk in a pattern.
Mike.

I tried this last night with the simple "cross over method" if you will. I used a size 10 streamer hook with some chenille. I did pretty good but had 1 or two weaves where the dark color was on the bottom. I will be practicing this. Ill put up some pictures as i progress. I tried the overhand knot method with wire but that was a little much to try out this early in the game.

Thanks again for all of the helpful insight.

Weaving that chenille made me think of weaving a black nose dace bugger. Anyone ever weave a bugger. I know that they are not common but just a thought.

I weaved a black lab once.

I know a couple of guys with hair weaves! Sorry N one said it and I couldn't resist.
Anyway, I learned it tying woolly buggers and chennile. You tie in the tail and a hackle at the hook bend and then tie in the chennile. You then go halfay over the top of the hook with the dark color, then pull up the light color over the dark and down under the hook. Pull the dark over the top and loop it under the light on the other side of the hook. And keep working it that way until you get to the head.

FrequentTyer wrote:
hammertime wrote:

It is! and near as I can tell, a product called bulk nylon that you can buy at Joanne's is the same stuff available in more colors and a lot cheaper. You have to re-spool it if you want to use it on a bobbin, but its worth it if you use a lot of the stuff. I have never tried to weave it, but I use it all the time to cover up lead wraps and form a smooth foundation before weaving floss bodies, or sometimes just to create some bulk in a pattern.
Mike.
photo8_zps1fe1ac91.jpg

Is this what you were talking about? I went and looked and could not find bulk nylon, the manager had never heard of it. Thought I'd check, cause I was looking to get the uni-streatch. This is dmc embroidery floss.

LV that is what I use.

I use the embroidery floss as well. Great color selections to chose from.

Back