3. 18" .017
4. 15" .015
5. 12" .013
6. 10" 0X
7. 10" 2X
8. 10" 4X
9. 10" 5X
10. 30" 6X

Notice two things...the heavy butt section gives you great turnover especially in higher winds and the long 30" tippet which gives you a great drag free drift.

Best damn leader I ever casted on a bigger river...will never be without one again

Your secret is safe with me. I won't tell a soul. Thanks.

I like that formula. Thanks a bunch!

jayL wrote:
Edit: Oops. This was the prof, not fade. I recall fade making similar comments before.

You Buffoon!! In any event next week on the UD I will be using the hand tied "Hot Butt" "Clear Butt" leaders that are tied in George Anderson's shop Yellowstone Anglers. Red for nymphing clear for dries.

Attachments

• t_clearbutt.jpg
    t_clearbutt.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 2
  • t_hotbuttcd.jpg
    t_hotbuttcd.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 3
salvelinusfontinalis wrote:

No problem I think you will like it. Most leaders I find the tippet end too short. I really like a long tippet especially on certain rivers where changing flies is a constant issue.

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:

PS Sal love the new pic of your daughter. Treasure these times they pass quickly!!

Weamer is the man on the delaware. For sure a 12' 6X leader is the way to go. As for nymphs can really go wrong with either a 4X or 5X 9' leader. The key as with all nymphing is to get to the bottom as fast as you can. For the WBDE I like to use two rods. One with a 9' 5X leader and one with a 12-14 foot leader that is basically a butt section with a swivel and a long tippet of 5-7 feet of 4X. I like that from the boat! when we are dredging deep runs.

I found an old Fly Fisherman magazine featuring George Anderson's Hot-Butt leaders. The formula is listed above by mcwillja. For 4x use 20". For 5x, cut the 4x back to 10", then add 20-36" of 5x. For 6x, cut the 5x back to 10". For the .022 butt section, use 25lb. Red Amnesia. The next section - .019 is 20lb. Red Amnesia too. The next three sections are Maxima. Then go softer. (You could even use 15lb. for the .017 section if you want more of the Amnesia). His favorite leader is 4x. He'll use this leader for dries, emergers, and nymphs and will modify for smaller flies.

Please note that this is a refreshed thread that is four years old.

Yeah...lots of guys that don't post anymore and everyone was so nice. What happened?

Back