Waters That Are Tough Wading

I have two:

Penns- Slid like 25 feet down a sheet of shale even in felt and studs/

Kish - Yeagertown through Reedsville is crazy. One place is 3 inches deep, the next step is over your head And if you are focused on fishing that can be an issue. I've only been dunked twice; both in the Kish in Yeagertown.

It's been mentioned once at least, but I find kishacoquillas creek in mifflin County to be really tough wading in a lot of places. Rocks just the right size to stumble over, with some steep dropoffs where you might not notice them.

The little J without a doubt is the toughest stream I have ever waded. Susquehanna gets a distant second. Another seldom fished one is the Codorus where it empties in the Susquehanna, good lord I don't know how anyone stays upright in that section.

Haven't fished the Lehigh, so I can't speak to that water. I have fished the Salmon River in NY and the and the Lackawanna here in PA. Some sections of both can be pretty tough.

I've taken baptism dunks in the Lackawaxen, Broadheads, and Bushkill all are b@stards for me to wade. The Lehigh scared me so I stayed knee deep or less and that wasn't easy. Worst to me though is the mainstem Delaware, just a slippery mess of greased cannonballs and car size rocks. Oh and some slabs to slide down!

Ryan,
What's it all about? Falling, blowing both ACL's and tearing your groin. Not recommend...just saying.

MT,
I've used that technique to cross the head of Carins Pool on the Beaverkill. 750 cfs... jumping and running across the rocks. Bad news was I got swept a little by the current, foot between 2 boulders, ragdolled and luckily, the sole tore off of my wading boot or I was getting body bagged.

DJS,
I'd rather cross the SR behind the museum at 1600 cfs..... all day long over trying to wade the Lehigh.

drosi,
Main stem is deceptive. Current is typically a lot more than what people expect. Depending on the section, you get silt, pea gravel, big boulders or HUGE slabs where there's zero traction. Typically quite deep just off the banks too so getting out after a swim can also be ugly.

For whatever reason (maybe that I've fished it a lot and it reminds me of where I grew up), the Lehigh, even in the gorge, has never been too cruel to me. I think it may be that when you wade the Lehigh, you're on DEFCON 1 at Full Alert. Maybe I wade better there. For me, the Brodhead around Anolomink is an ankle-breaker, probably because it doesn't look that bad until you've gone and sprained your ankle.

I don't wade any creek where I can't see bottom.

The worse waters are the ones you get so used to that you let down your guard. All waters can be dangerous - and if you only stand at 5'4" - like I do, well it doesn't take to many CFS to push you over or make you feel uncomfortable.

Being a bigger guy I seldom have problems with wading 6' 245.
Now the slick bank mud is another can of beans. Other is felts in the winter.

i have no experience on the Lehigh or others, but Dauphin County's Stony Creek isn't called that for nothing. Sharp, jagged, slippery rocks and I have done some underwater surveys several times, mostly with a float box.

I’ve never fished the Lehigh, Little J or Yough but I’ve heard they are dangerous and not just tough. As NWPA streams go where a dunking is very possible, but being swept away, not so much...

Slippery Rock Creek
Brokenstraw Creek
Oil Creek

In NCPA, Pine Creek required attention to detail the day I fished it. Very tough wading in knee deep water. When I fish streamers I slowly walk while retrieving after a cast.. I’m in constant motion. On Pine I had to move into position, stop & fish and repeat.

even penns near coburn can come to within a half inch of the top of your waders!

1) Savage River below the Reservoir. 2) Fishing Creek Narrows

I agree with a lot of these posts. The Lehigh gorge is absolute murder to wade. Nothing even comes close. Yough is rough but the Lehigh is worse. If you move any faster than a snail you are ditching it for sure at some point. I've always said that if it werent for the arguously slow pace that it takes to fish one could easier catch a tremendous pile of trout there spring or fall. Issue is that you literally can't move from spot to spot without each and every step being calculated. It takes a eternity to get around. It's misery. Scenery is insane though!

I'll also give honorable mention to the Casselman as I read above. It's smaller than the Lehigh but like walking on greased bowling balls all day.

I’m gonna say the Neversink in the gorge. That’s been the worst for me. Never fished the Lehigh, but if I do it’ll be from a boat.

Not in PA, but in WV. The Cherry River below Richwood. It used to not be bad but after the big flood in June 2016 it is like ice skating now. I suspect it has something to do with sewer system sewer treatment plant failure...

Good call DaveS. I forgot about the Neversink gorge. That joint will make you rethink going there to fish. As bad as the Neversink is....still think the Lehigh beats it by a whisker.

Wading and fishing Pocono Creek today was no "walk in the park". Stream access can be difficult due to very steep banks and wading the moderate high gradient flows required a wading staff at all times. Boulder water with round and slanted rocks wore me out after 5 hours. Its one of the only options available .... Upper D very high .... Broadheads especially the lower water is high and difficult wading.

I did manage a dozen stocked bows (one nice looking 19 incher) and one wild brown. Good to get out!!

Back