Waterproofing fabric? Advice? Solutions?

steveo27

steveo27

Long story short.... I recently picked up a new Orvis Safe Passage Guide sling pack to replace my old one that I sold to a friend (smaller Orvis sling pack). 100% happy with it, just like I was with the other smaller one. Designed and built well. Great product. Blah blah blah.

Anyways. I want to better waterproof the pack. I spent this past weekend out in that miserable rain/snow/sleet mess fishing and camping. After wearing the pack in the rain/snow/sleet for 2 days straight, everything was damp or had condensation on it inside the pack.

The pack is great and keeps everything dry during a normal day of fishing in a light rain, but not so much in 2 days of moderate rain/snow/sleet where the moisture has the chance to soak into everything.

I want to better waterproof the pack so it doesn't let water soak into it. I was thinking of maybe using some sort of hydrophobic coating vs waterproofing so the water beads up and rolls off so it doesnt have to sit and eventually soak in.

Has anyone done anything similar with any of their fishing gear? Any suggestion on which product to use?

Ive used Nikwax TX Direct spray on and wash-in waterproofing with some success on raincoats and hunting gear. The Nikwax is used more to revive the existing DWR coating on fabric, not add additional waterproofing though.

Thanks in advance.

I just sprayed mine with the heavy duty waterproofing aerosol they sell at any camp store like LL Bean or REI. Just did multiple layers and it seems to bead up great now. The do make the gale force sling if you are looking for something that's completely waterproof.

Thanks for the tip. I ended up putting a layer of Camp Dry on it. We'll see how that holds up.

Back