Waterproof Digital camera

djmyers

djmyers

I thought it would be nice to have a digital camera to take pictures of fish (if I ever catch any) and was wondering if any one has suggestions. I am not looking for something that is too pricy. Just something that takes good pictures that I don't have to worry about getting wet.

I just seen one in the Sunday Paper in the Best Buy ad..here it is here only $129.00.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat99100050023&type=category

Dear dj,

Pentax and Olympus both make truly waterproof digital cameras. The Pentax Optio W10, W20, and W30 are waterproof as are several of the models of the Olympus Stylus series, I think the latest version is the 770.

I don't really know what they cost but I am certain that new cameras are a good bit over $ 200.00. My advice to you is to go a camera shop and ask them if you don't get a solid recommendation from someone here on the board.

Look at the cameras and fiddle with them. Find one you like to use and feel comfortable using and you will be much more inclined to take it fishing with you.

You may find that you like a non-waterproof camera better than the waterproof offerings. Don't let that bother you. You can buy an Aquapac or similar waterproof clear plastic case that you can take pictures through for most digital cameras for about $ 35.00 - $ 40.00.

Here are two websites where you can read up on current and former digital camera models.

http://www.dpreview.com/

http://www.photographyreview.com/

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

I guess it comes down to just how clumsy you plan on being. Waterproof cameras will generally cost roughly twice what you could get a regular camera for ($110 - $130) Drop it once your about even, drop it twice you're behind in cost.

Some of the best cameras are in the Canon A series. I would caution against getting a camera that doesn't take normal AA or AAA batteries. A camera doesn't help if you find your batteries are low and your stuck with a funky battery type you can just get a the gas station.

Another point is that if your just going to use it to take pictures of fish, and some scenery, don't feel you have to get a high number of megapixels. It will bump the cost with very little benefit.

Tim pointed out some good review sites. Check out what they have to say about low light shooting. Some cameras struggle in low light focusing; which with a fish in one hand and a camera in the other, may not make getting that picture at dawn or dusk that easy.

When on the water, always ziplock bag your camera anyway.

I suggest www.newegg.com for reviews and camera.

Good luck.

I have the Olympus 720SW. I bought it almost a year ago for 350 bucks. Its water proof down to 10ft and shock proof from 5ft. It takes great pictures and although I bought it so I would not have to worry about getting it wet I have taken some underwater pictures and they turned out good. If you're willing to drop the cash the camera is definitely well worth it and durable.

I have an older Olympus that I carry when I fish, 550 maybe? You can get the 770 for around $250 if you shop. The Olympus has never failed me. The photo here of the brookie was taken with my Olympus in the last 2 weeks. I once dropped it on a concrete floor in the Carrier Dome from at least 6 feet and no damage.

I'll bet that 770 is sweet.

Attachments

• PABrookie.jpg
    PABrookie.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 7
I, too, have the Olympus 720SW and have been happy....I have dropped it once on a hard rock and no problem. The pentax is cheaper last time I checked though.

i have the olympus 770 sw ,its waterproof to 33ft .. Its 7.2 mpgs sand is far superior to the pentax bc of the additional features . at least thats my pov ...

I don't have either but I have another Pentax that came out at the same time...it eats batteries like you would not believe...even when its off. If I take the batteries out when I'm not using it they are full when I need them but if I leave them in..they're allbut dead after a few pics. I'd try Olympus.

I got my father a Samsung Camera from Walmart about a year ago. The cost then was around $150 for a 5.2 megapixel. I liked it for him because it was easy to use and had a large window on the back to view pictures. Also, it has a pretty good zoom with it. It really takes great pictures and he loves it. Although he doesn't use it on the stream, I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up. I think they're down around $100 now and the 6 and 7 MP's are still both under $200.

You’ve received some good advice. I’ll only add I went through the same thing a year or so ago and REALLY wanted the Optio. The trouble was you had a hard time seeing through the LCD screen in daylight and when you help it out to compose, you got camera shake. I understand the W30 now has a brighter screen and image stabilization in addition to other features such as face recognition, (Don’t know if that works on a trout). Let us know how you make out.

Rolf

Back