Waterproof Carry Options?

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
salvelinusfontinalis

salvelinusfontinalis

Was curious if any of you guys that carry have come across away to make sure your equipment doesnt get soaked if you take a dunk.
Obviously you still want ease of access.

What is the best options out there if anything?

I got two TPU Guide Waterproof Cast for Smartphones and TPU Accessory Case from Sea To Summit, so far they have worked but I have not taken dunk yet. They seems to be well made.

https://seatosummitusa.com/collections/waterproof-phone-and-map-cases

Sorry that was my bad as i should have been detailed here.

I meant for a snub nose 38 special.
Im curious about what those that choose to carry while out do to try and keep their weapon dry.

Think WWII & Vietnam, nobody worried about getting things wet when their life depended on it and neither should you, especially with a wheel gun.

I usually have a S&W Model 30 - 357 on my hip when fishing. If it gets wet, it will still fire & I can dry it out and clean it up when I get home or back to camp. It's really no different than anything that I use when fishing. I always leave my rods, reels, flies and other kit out overnight to dry out as well.

I'd trade that for fumbling with some waterproof "gun" bag any day...

Dang.
Good stuff there Bam!

I appreciate it and will just make sure im dilligent on cleaning it afterwards .

Appreciate it much.

My S&W 640 has accompanied me on several dunkings. Being stainless, I tend not to concern myself with getting it wet. I just did an experiment with a 1 gal ziplock bag and was able to operate it while still in the bag. Not optimal, but it offers some protection from water and would would get you by in case of emergency.

Attachments

• B8B90271-C49D-488C-807F-86E8056C4CCB.jpeg
    B8B90271-C49D-488C-807F-86E8056C4CCB.jpeg
    29.5 KB · Views: 7
If it's a stainless wheel gun, I would honestly not worry about. Even most semis I would rather keep the firearm somewhat handy than confined in a waterproof carrier. If you get wet, just be sure to dry out fully and lubricate as needed. Certain weapons may need fully disassembled etc. Many wood stocked blued firearms have made it through decades of hunting seasons in pouring rain and snow with a little care.

I should also mention my S&W Model 60-357 is stainless so I don't have to be as concerned.

I have the luxury of designating this particular pistol as my "fishin' firearm" and as I don't have kids or allow strangers near my stuff, it stays with my fishing gear in a Bore Store silicone impregnated soft "case" which does a lot in the way of inhibiting rust when it is already clean & dry.

When it isn't in my holster on my hip (I prefer to open carry when I can), it is in the Bore Store case.

Bam,

Im curious to why you choose to open carry when you can. Could you elaborate?

I ask because i got into a friendly debate with a friend on the subject.
I prefer open carry, he prefers concealed. Im curious as to your reasons.

Lyco, thank you also. I dont know why the hunting trips in the rain with rifles didnt cross my mind.
For whatever reason it just didnt register with my brain and i thought you guys must be doing something or using something I am not aware of.

Im not a fan of bagging it like in the picture. I got the revolver to be reliable and free of any possible jams. Not that semis do that much or at all. Also i didnt want a safety i forget is on when i need it.
Basically if im getting it out besides target shooting, I really need it to work because that is the only time it is coming out.

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
Bam,

Im curious to why you choose to open carry when you can. Could you elaborate?

I ask because i got into a friendly debate with a friend on the subject.
I prefer open carry, he prefers concealed. Im curious as to your reasons.
First, because I can, at least in certain places.

Second, because concealing it in my usual gear storage options would be a pain. I don't wear a vest, I use a homemade set-up consisting of a belt with pouches or a British shoulder bag when trout fishing and a chest pack when fishing warmwater. It would be like a boat anchor in any of those gear carrying choices.

Third, I can get to it quicker and it is extremely comfortable and accessible in a holster on my hip.

Fourth, I believe open carry is deterrent. I get that benefit WITHOUT pulling it out which could be considered "brandishing" or worse. I have a thumb break on my holster so I don't worry about losing it or someone getting it away from me. (I won't allow any stranger to get that close to me either). ;-)

I assume people who see me fishing see the gun, but nobody has ever said a word. I once gave the Bethlehem PD a heads up I would be opening carrying in a city park in the event someone called them about me.

I was told don't sweat it, but don't discharge it which IS illegal, which made us both laugh.

I carry a Smith&Wesson 9mm and have dunked it many times. I just simply take it apart when I get home and dry it out. Haven't had a problem with it shooting yet. Revolvers would be even better. I wanted the scandiam 357 but wasn't going to spend $750.00 on a gun to only carry fishing.

I’m curious as to why you guys carry. It’s really never occurred to me out here. When I’ve been out west in ares that have large carnivores like mt lions, I’ve def thought about it. Is it a concern about bears? Or are you fishing more urban settings at times there may be some shifty characters around. Not trying to bash anyone or anything, just genuine curiosity.

I carry either a Ruger LCR or LCP in a sticky holster when wading. I always use a wading belt and keep the gun inside my waders. It rests right above the belt and stays very secure. The only problem is you cannot forget to remove it before you take your belt off. I have fallen a couple of times and the handgun got a little wet but not bad. The waders help protect it. I then took the gun apart on the way home and put it in front of the vehicles defroster. Other wise I carry a Glock 19 which is not a problem.

I'm with Rockfish. I am not anti-gun or carrying, I don't understand why people would put themselves in areas that create such tension and anxiety that they feel carrying is required for recreation and stress release. Same as rockfish, not cutting anyone up or criticizing, just asking a question to understand.

I carry a judge just clean if you take a dunk. Joe. E

A judge, wow, that thing is huge to carry around!

Sometimes it does

But big things also sometimes come in small packages

A Judge is only 29 ounces empty with an overall length of 7.5 inches.

Compact frame autos run from 23 ounces for a Glock to over 30 ounces empty for a Sig.

The S&W Model 60 that I carry is 23 ounces empty with an overall length of 8.7" and I wear it all day and forget it is there, so a Judge is probably not as bad as you would think.

Off topic but just curious if anyone on here does any small or big game hunting while fishing in the fall and winter? I ask because I often see deer when I am on the river in winter. I once floated the Delaware during New York gun season and saw quite a few deer. Also have seen buck during PA gun season while floating Juniata.

Back