WATERPROOF CAM UNDER 200

mattd

mattd

Saw the Home Depot add and there is a ryobi 8mp cam that is impact/dust resistant and waterproof. Dont know how good it is or what waterproof cameras go for these days, last time I looked they were hard 2 find and a bit more pricey. Might be good for the clumsy guys like me who seem to drop everything in the stream. selling for $199.99.

Lots of options. Here's a really nice one.

http://www.adorama.com/IOMST6000BL.html

Bought my Pentax Optio W60 from these guys for $189 on sale. It's a great camera!

I have the Olympus 1050SW and love it. Buy.com has it for $199, I think I've seen it at Costco for $179. I've heard great things about Pentax as well.

I will second Jaybo I own the same one.

Pentax is good..Things my next camera has to have..

Small size (fits in shirt pocket)
small lcd (better on power supply)
water proof.

I'm also interested in seeing what people recommend. I'm asking for a waterproof camera for christmas, but have yet to decide on a make and model. I don't want to hijack this thread but I'd be interested in models costing over $200 as well.

All my pics are taken with a pentax optio w20 I have no complaints
IMGP0520.jpg

Here's an underwater pic taken this summer with the Pentax Optio. Fits in a shirt pocket easily.

Attachments

• IMGP0182.JPG
    IMGP0182.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 3
Fujifilm FinePix Z33WP 10MP Waterproof Digital Camera, 3x Optical Zoom, 2.7" LCD

under $150

Hope its good because I think I'm getting one for Christmas.

I'll have to 3rd the Olympus 1050sw. I think I picked mine up off of ebay for $185 brand new. Takes good pictures indoor and out though I'm usually more concerned with out. My wife likes it a lot for an all purpose camera. It's no DSLR but for a waterproof point and shoot with it's ruggedness, it's hard to beat.

Here are a few underwater shots from it's maiden voyage to Mexico this past January.

Attachments

• P1240152.jpg
    P1240152.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 5
  • P1240233.jpg
    P1240233.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 4
  • P1250266.jpg
    P1250266.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 3
  • P1300452.jpg
    P1300452.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 3
I've been using an Olympus splash proof compact digital for years. It's not one of those armored jobs, but it's pretty robust. I'm not exactly careful with it. It has it's limitations, but so do all point & shoots. My wife loves her Canon, although it's not WP.

I suggest you get on Amazon.com and search for waterproof cameras. The user reviews can be helpful in thinning the choices. The scientist in my wants to warn you to look for a high number of user reviews so the average is more valid, but you probably already know that. Also, many of the reviews are fairly mindless ("I just go my camera yesterday and LOVE IT! Its so small I can take it anywhere.").

Another minor consideration: the kind of memory it uses. For example, Sony and Olympus use a proprietary memory chip/stick that costs more. SD or SDHC cards are the inexpensive standerd as far as I know. You can get huge memory capacity in an SCHC card for very small $.

Good luck in your search!

albatross wrote:
Fujifilm FinePix Z33WP 10MP Waterproof Digital Camera, 3x Optical Zoom, 2.7" LCD

under $150

Hope its good because I think I'm getting one for Christmas.

I've been looking at the same one too. Don't know anyone who has one, but def in my price range.

Ryan,

I'll try to provide a review and a few shots of Erie Steel over the Christmas break!

I'm on the hunt for a small waterproof camera as well.
Would any of them already recommended be good for taking close in shots of the hatch ... say a trico?
Thanks,
Buffalo

I like pentax because they are usally smaller units...I bought mine when they fist came out and it fits in my shirt pocket..I think the trend has been for larger cameras, lcd and so on...I've sen the panasonic, it's nice, better for making movies though..

I'll join the hosts and vote for the Olympus Stylus 1030SW. It's a rock-solid camera.

If you go with the 1050SW, you'll save a few bucks.

I never understood why manufacturers went with "non-standard" memory cards. To me, that is a drawback when I'm looking at a product. If you can readily (and cheaply) pick up a memory card for something, you really have to question the value. I know Sony makes good products, but their "proprietary memory" stuff is BS.

What kind of warranties are on the Pentax and Olympus? Obviously with them being "underwater" cameras, there is a risk of leakage, etc. Probably remote, but the chance still exists, I'm sure.

good info here, glad this thread got started! planning on getting my girlfriend one for christmas, she always has to have a camera with her, and we canoe alot, also be handy on motorcycle trips during inclement weather. of course, I might have to borrow it to take fishing once in a while!

I have an Olympus Stylus 1030SW that I bought just for fishing and hunting because of it's small size and waterproof to 10 meters.
I also like it being constructed with a metal case. It is shiny so it doubles as an emergency reflector and if I drop it in 2 or 3 feet of moving water I can find it.
It is roughly the size of a deck of cards and it will record video under water as well. Got mine at Circuit City last year when it was closing, for under $200.

Here is a pic of the camera, and also an underwater pic I took before landing this brown trout.

Attachments

• Olympus Stylus 1030SW.JPG
    Olympus Stylus 1030SW.JPG
    472.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Brown on Olive.JPG
    Brown on Olive.JPG
    207.7 KB · Views: 2
I bought a Pentax Optio W20 for around $175 off Buy.com last year and that thing is amazing. It takes magazine quality shots above and under water. If you watch the deals, you can definitely get a good waterproof camera for under $200.

Here is my favorite one so far:

Attachments

• IMGP0027.jpg
    IMGP0027.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 3
Back