waterproof backpack w/chest pack??

bikerfish

bikerfish

hello all knowing PA flyfishers. I'd like to upgrade my pack arrangement, and would like a waterproof backpack, chest pack combo. I like the LL bean https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/123693?productId=1755515&attrValue_0=Asphalt&qs=3143159&source=facebook&medium=cpm_perf&campaign=perfsocial_DPA+for+Prospecting&nan_pid=1866963925&ad_id=9369680

any others out there that are similar? I need it waterprrof, since it will be strapped to my motorcycle on upcoming trips, and open to the elements.
thanks for any replies!

The only problem I see with it ,is once it's on you can you see in front of you. Even years ago when I was thin, I started to dislike chest packs for that reason. Looks more like a knapsack. You should look at what the other companys have to offer. I'm not going to recomend what I use, I like it you may not. You have to see what fits you.

Dumb question, but wouldn't be more practical to buy a waterproof storage compartment for your motorcycle and then you could use any pack/bag/whatever you want and just bring rain gear to keep dry while fishing?

I do have waterproof storage on the bike, but it's nice to have the fishing stuff more easily accessible. plus, all my other camping/cooking stuff takes up most of the space.
Plus, rain gear doesn't keep my pack dry. I just think a waterproof pack, chest pack combo would do me good. I have no problem with the chest pack I have now, it's small, a Umpqua I think. But in the rain, it gets soaked. be nice to have waterproof.

2 cents...FWIW...

For your needs, you may also want to consider them separately. It's possible to get a good all in one combo maybe depending on your personal preferences, but sometimes the combos are a compromise of sorts on both the backpack and chest pack features, and there aren't that many waterproof combos out there so your choices will be limited.

If you already like your current chest pack, you could also look to get just a waterproof backpack, and use your current chest pack. You could carry one, or both when fishing, depending on the situation. When fishing in the rain (or riding on your bike), just put the chest pack into the backpack. This will likely open up many more waterproof backpack options than if you were only looking for combos...Besides the Bean, I don't think there are many of those out there.

Just a thought. In the end, all fishing pack systems are varying forms of compromises based on personal preference.

I do a separate combo now. it works fine, until you need to take a leak, or change clothing layers, etc, then you have to take off first the chest pack, then that back pack, then do your thing. I figured if it's hooked together, it would be a little easier. I've tried the waist pack, which simply pulls your pants down eventually, unless you have a shoulder strap, which then you might as well have a back pack, and I've tried a sling pack, and never was able to be comfortable with it. LOL!! perfection takes a lifetime!!

Got ya. Not sure what the logistics of taking off the combo packs would be as I haven't owned one. Probably unhooking some buckles would allow you to drop the backpack and chest pack together, still partially connected.

I've found a backpack overall (with a good, legit waist belt) is the best option for me too. I have an LLBean Kennebec (discontinued now) that is basically a backpack with some modest up front storage pockets that attach to the straps. Enough to keep a fly box, tippet, shot, floatant, etc up front, which is nice. It's definitely not waterproof though.

Back