Water Withdrawals - Susquehanna River Basin Commission

David

David

Approved Projects (includes new approvals and modifications) (www.srbc.net/wrp/Default.aspx):

1. Anadarko E&P Company LP (Pine Creek), Watson Township, Lycoming County, Pa., for surface water withdrawal of up to 720,000 gallons per day (gpd) to develop and complete natural gas wells.

2. Aqua Pennsylvania, Inc., Monroe Manor Water System, Monroe Township, Snyder County, Pa., for groundwater withdrawal of up to 391,000 gpd for public water supply .

3. East Resources Management, LLC (Cowanesque River), Westfield Township, Tioga County, Pa., for surface water withdrawal of up to 375,000 gpd to develop and complete natural gas wells.

4. EXCO Resources (PA), LLC (West Branch Susquehanna River), Curwensville Borough, Clearfield County, Pa., for surface water withdrawal of up to 2 million gpd to develop and complete natural gas wells.

5. Hughesville-Wolf Township Joint Municipal Authority, Wastewater Treatment Plant, Wolf Township, Lycoming County, Pa., for source approval to remove use up to 249,000 gpd of effluent, when available, for bulk water sale for natural gas well development.

6. Leonard & Jean Marie Azaravich (Meshoppen Creek), Springville Township, Susquehanna County, Pa., for surface water withdrawal of up to 249,000 gpd for bulk water sale for natural gas well development.

7. LHP Management, LLC (Fishing Creek – Clinton Country Club), Bald Eagle Township, Clinton County, Pa., to increase surface water withdrawal up to 999,000 gpd for bulk water sale for natural gas well development.

8. Linde Corporation (Lackawanna River), Fell Township, Lackawanna County, Pa., for surface water withdrawal of up to 905,000 gpd for bulk water sale for natural gas well development.

9. Ultra Resources, Inc. (Pine Creek), Pike Township, Potter County, Pa., to increase surface water withdrawal up to 936,000 gpd to develop and complete natural gas wells.

The Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, based SRBC is the governing agency established under a 100-year compact signed on December 24, 1970 by the federal government and the states of New York, Pennsylvania and Maryland to protect and wisely manage the water resources of the Susquehanna River Basin. The Susquehanna River starts in Cooperstown, New York, and flows 444 miles to Havre de Grace, Maryland, where the river meets the Chesapeake Bay.

Information above was published online at http://www.whptv.com/news/local/story/Susquehanna-River-Basin-Commission/3b77rex8Y0GQwMMbMeNZ9Q.cspx news channel. Link to check for new approvals appears above for the Susquehanna River Basin Commission.

I wonder who will get preferencial treatment when the summer drought season comes? will the gas companies be able to continue taking water while residents of the boroughs have to go on water conservation? it's one thing to take water for peoples water supply, it's another to take it simply for profit. where is the manditory recycling of frac water? why can't they use waste water from other sources? all they do is mix nasty chemicals in with it, does it really have to be clean?

And how do you feel about bottled water?

bottled water has it's place, such as traveling in areas of uncertain water quality(other countries)
as for here, it's a stupid and wasteful fad. I do buy bottled water at times, probably less than a dozen bottles per year. I also keep and refill the bottles, freezing them in the summer to take to work, use as ice packs in my cooler, etc.
if we take care of our water resources, we don't need bottled water.

Water bottles suck..... I am trying to get my family off them but it is hard. I have 4 kids who look at me like I am crazy when I tell them to drink water out of the spicket. They think water actually comes from a freakin plastic bottle! I actually bought each of them a nalogen bottle to use, we are slowly getting there. As for the list above that is for new and modified for 2011. The thread below shows what they currently withdrawl. This list will grow and grow as the industry does. We ain't seen nothing yet.

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16843&forum=6

IT all sounds like a lot of water but on the scale of things it's not much at all. That's not to diminish the impact, for instance at this minute the flow at Marietta on the Susquehanna River the flow is 9000 cfs. And it's low right now compared to the mean. The cummulative amount of withdrawal is what's important not just where. Drawing a million gallons a day from Pine creek is but a small amount compared to what the daily flow of the creek is on average. But that doesn't mean we can go crazy either.
The issue of withdrawals and the impacts is one that has to be watched carefully and be reasoned with when responding to additional requests for withdrawals.
At 1480 cfs at Cedar Run on Pine Creek, the flow per minute right now would be approximately 660,000 gallons of water a minute. Given another way @ 1480 cfs is a rate of 950,000,000 gallons a day.

Back