Water Level/Stream Gauge Guidance

So the Delaware Valley has received 3 plus inches of rain in the last few days and it’s still raining. What’s North Central been like in the last 72 hours and predictions for the next several?
Well, Kettle is only at 160cfs, so not a lot of help from the rain so far.

Below is a link to a listing of stream flows in PA. The long term median flow is a good indication of normal flows for the time of year. There's no way to predict how much rain we will receive so you'll have to play it by ear. Penns Creek is notorious for muddying up with heavy rain, while Spring Creek normally stays fishable the longest. I suggest check with the local fly shop like Fly Fishers Paradise or TCO for current condition's when you're in the area. Good luck on your trip. Post a stream report when you return.

Prior to the new format starting 8 or so months ago, median flow was shown for every cubic feet per second flow. Now the only way I know how to view it is to select “Legacy Real-Time Page”. Is that the only way to see Min, 25%, 50%, 75%, Max? Also are there plans to eliminate that view?

Reactions: CRB
The first and best step to minimize the chance of injury from falling is to simply not put yourself in situations where you are likely to fall…Deep water, excessively slippery rocks, big flat slab bottom style rocks, heavy current, etc.

That said, once you realize you’re in a bad spot and you’re gonna fall, step one is let go of the rod, or anything else in your hand at the time. It’s better for both you (frees up your hands to brace your fall with) and there’s less likely a chance to break your rod by dropping it, than by landing with your weight on it. I often half toss the rod clear away from me if I know I’m going down.

Next, try to just essentially sit down and land on your butt if you can. What it’s there for and the area on you that has the most padding. Not always possible, depending on your orientation when you fall, but your butt, if possible, is the best thing to land on.

Once you do go down make sure you get up with solid footing. Falling once and being wet, is better than falling twice and being wet.

Most of my falls occur in shallow, relatively benign water near the bank, where I’m not really paying that much attention to my footing. The most common denominator in my falls are they most often involve largeish rocks (the size of your boot or bigger) that slope ever so slightly away from you. Just subtly, and not enough that you really notice it, and avoid them. Your lead foot goes down on one of those and slides forward away from you, and you’re going down, no way to stop it.
This is pretty well thought out. You have really contemplated the options. I haven’t fallen in for at least 40 years but from 10 until 20 I had some good ones.

The best “fall in” I every witnessed was my son when he was probably 10 years old. It was one of his first days in hip boots. We were fishing Tionesta Creek at Kellettville. The bank is muddy and fairly steep upstream from the bridge. He had hit the hole pretty hard, so he wanted to relocate. He struggled up the slick bank and gets one foot on the green grass at the top. Probably figures he has it made. Before he can get his second foot up there, the first foot breaks free and he is basically in a backward dive off the diving board. He is now upside down going head first into the creek. As stated it was a mud bank so no rocks to harm him. I helped him get right side up. He was a terror in waders for about 5 - 6 years. Those times are the best.

Last edited:
Ed Shenk, at one of the fly shows, said something like: When you're casting, don't walk. When you're walking, don't cast.

Probably not his exact words, but you get the meaning. They should teach that in beginning flyfishing lessons. It's fundamental. When walking on rough, slippery surfaces you need to pay attention to where you are placing your feet.

I used to fall hard once or twice a year when fishing small freestone streams, landing more on rocks than water. That's painful and dangerous. Since I've been trying to follow that advice, it's made a huge difference.
When I was young I was taught to fish streamers while walking. I would be in the water a few feet to about 15 feet off shore depending on water depth. My father and his buddy mastered the technique. They may have developed it for all I know. I have never seen anyone else do it.

Anyway, I have gotten very good at it and I’ve not fallen in doing it. You can cover lots of ground. If you catch a fish, you cast in that spot until you go about 5 casts without a strike and just walk and cast continuously again. Basically you are getting to aggressive fish quicker.

Thanks for the tips and help in this thread. I had a great trip up to central PA. Kettle of several of the streams near there were really low during my stay in that portion of the state. Still really good fishing though and a lot of fun.

The rain on Sunday flooded most of the other streams I was planning to fish (Fishing Creek, etc.), but Spring Creek was still fishable so I spent a good amount of time exploring that stream and trying different techniques. The sulphers were making there way out so it was a lot of fun trying different sulpher like patterns.

Thankfully no falls or spills this time!

Back