Water filtration

yeah I'd try to just find the bladder and modify my own pack. Just have to cut a small hole in the back pocket to put the tube through, and maybe a strip of velcro on your shoulder strap to keep the tube up front, sounds simple to me.

I carry a 32 oz nalgene bottle and fill it half way to freeze the night before. I try to drink just as much as I need because I hate having to take off all my gear to take a leak. I always carry a few granola bars or some trail mix and a water bottle with me no matter where I go, especially because I'm usually running around to get all my gear together before I leave and forget to eat anything, by 12:00 I'm regretting it.

Here's a link to just the bladder, there's a few sizes.

http://www.****ssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2099358

Afish,

I didn't even realize that was a John Deere model. I wish mine actually were. It has some other lame logo on it.

I use the same system as JasonS also got mine at REI. I keep it in my truck IF I forget my bottle from home. Have used enough to have confidence in it.

I keep a gallon jug of water in the car. Before a long hike I chug as much of it as i can...even to the point when it becomes a little painfull. Then I carry with me one of those water bottles with the filter but leave it empty to reduce weight. When I become thirsty I find the purist water source and filter/drink. On a few occasions I've been caught without the bottle and was forced to drink from a stream. If you choose a small tributary stream that is crystal clear, cold, and no where near human activity your chances of avoiding giardia are very good....but not certain. But heh, if the options are diahria or death! Also, dehydration can be minimalized by cooling your body temp. with cold water, moving slower to sweat less, and taking frequent brakes in the shade. I stop and dunk my head and hat in the stream alot on hot days.

water bottle for short trip, canteen too, then I have the Katadyn X-stream too. Type 2 as well, I need to carry something to eat during the day too..

I added a Cabelas 2 Liter bladder to my vest for about $15. My vest has a slot from the back pocket which runs over the shoulder for the tube. Nice little comfort feature.

I was in the service and got a camlebak and it works real nice

Jay, I saw this in the last F&S that showed up at my home:

PUR powder water purifier

It's lightweight and great for a backup plan if you run out of your from home water.

I have a hydro pack with a 70oz bladder. It's great, but if you're out for more than four hours it can start to get heavy (not to mention warm). Also, if you leave water in it for a long time, mold can start to grow in the tube.

Camelbak has some solutions that won't allow mold to grow.

For short trips I prefer bottles. They’re just easier to clean when you get home. Plus I won’t put sports drinks in my bladder. Again, it’s just a pain to clean all that out.

However, bladders are very nice. I use a couple of camelbaks for cycling, hiking, and fishing. They keep water colder longer than most other options. On real hot days you can load it up with ice then add water and it will stay cold for a few hours. Like someone else said you tend to drink more regularly with the hydration pack since it’s quickly available. I find the 70 oz pack easier and less bulky to carry then three 24 oz bottles. Throw a snack and/or energy gel in a pocket and you’re set for hours of fishing. The only downsides are cleaning and the sweat streak down your back.

To keep your bladder free of gunk.

• Clean your bladder on a daily basis or stuff will start to grow. I just rinse it well, wipe it dry then hang it up open so it can dry completely. I finally purchased the camelbak cleaning kit with a special hanger and that works real well in keeping the bladder open for drying.

• Every once in a while I use the cleaning brushes and dish soap to clean out the bladder, tube and bite valves. I follow that with the cleaning tablets once a season. They’re basically bleach tablets but I find them very convenient and I only use them once a year when I know the bladder won’t be used for a while.

• Make sure you remove the bite valves when storing the bladder. It’s hard to get all the moisture out of the tube and some water will get trapped against the valve and mold will grow (I’ve proved that one).

• An insulating cover is available for the tube. It works well in preventing that first hot sip but it also hides any buildup of gunk in the tube so be careful.

This process has been working for me for the past few years.

Definitely! Staying hydrated is incredibly important. However, you really don't want to drink just any water. And Giardia can be pretty bad to have, especially if you're in the wilderness.

If you plan on camping out while fishing, you might check out the Outback water purification system to ensure you have plenty of clean water to drink during your fishing expedition.

http://espwaterproducts.com/emergency-preparedness-water-disaster-relief.htm

I find that if I carry a five gallon bucket wherever I go, I have a place to sit! That makes the ESP system a handy thing to not only filter water, but also provide a hard, unyielding surface on which to place my hind quarters. Sure, I could use a stump, rock, or even the stream bank, but when you want to ensure that the seat of your pants remains clean and pristine, nothing beats ESP!

I carry a big thermos jug of water in the car, with lots of ice. And I have one of those adult sippy cups filled with ice water that goes in the cupholder of the car. So I get real hydrated before I begin fishing. Then I carry a water bottle in the back of my vest.

I bought one of those filters, and used it on a backpacking trip. But on day trip fishing, I think it's easier to just hydrate in advance, then carry a bottle of water, then to fool around with the filter.

Back