Water filtration

jayL

jayL

Once again, I bought two bottles of water and left them in the car this weekend. I like to travel light, so I have a problem bringing water with me. I almost always end up dehydrated and miserable, so I'm going to seek out a better solution.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a water purification system, or some other idea for getting drinking water on the stream?

What about this?

I carefully watch my fluid intake all the time. Diabetic.

Jay my lessons on water were learned long ago during many backpacking trips where pumping water and worring about where the next water would be located.

In addition to the crazy mountain bike trip I was on in Moab where it was 110. I thought I was prepared with 3 quarts of water- no where near enough.

To answer your question- I always carry a gallon milk jug and always fill it up before I leave. On a hot long day it most always gets emptied. Sometimes I will get it refilled in a fly shop or convience store etc... Plus you dont have to pay bottled water prices. Just fill up the naglene before I hit the stream.

I have a mini filter that does allow to drink directly from the stream with a straw- light as all get out- but seemed like you still were gonna get stream water in your mouth and on to the "clean" end of the filter. I used it on Penns when I was a long way from the car. Never got sick-but I would not swear you would'nt with that thing.

Besides my fly pole and flies it's the most important thing I carry- especially if any distance from the car or if I going fishing for any length of time. You must be getting older.

Jay,
I wouldn't want to use those things outside of an emergency situation. The problem is, even with bio filtration, much of the state's waterways contains nasty chemicals that these filter systems can't eliminate. There are PCBs, mercury, doixin, etc. all through the state... sadly, even in the more remote brookie streams. That's why the DEP put consumption limitations on ALL fish caught in the Commonwealth's waters. You are better off with water from a trusted source.

I use a water bladder. Whenever I'm going to be gone for more than a couple of hours, I carry a small day pack and put it in there. imo, hydration outweighs "going light."

Jay,

I like that water bottle. I bought a filtering straw beforeI hiked the Loyalsock. It was $10 at Cabelas and filters 60 gallons. It is (the straw) only like 4" long.

Charcoal ones like First Need are pretty good. The ceramic filters are the best. When they first came out many years ago we tested one in our bio lab at Smith Kline. Used the First Need all over the US backcountry and never had any problems.

Just be careful with the bottles. It's easy to get contaminants from the outside of the main container (they get there when you dip the bottle) to the portion where you put your mouth. Such as having a few drips on the outside that run to-wards the bottle top when you tilt it up to drink. It's not a bad idea to carry some of those Clorox wipes to clean off the outside after you fill it.

BTW the charcoal ones do remove some of the metals etc. Not that I would count on it if the stream was known to be bad. Use some common sense. If the watershed is known to have mine drainage or other problems don't drink it even with a filter. I've tested some waterways in Central Pa and the quality isn't that bad (in fact many springs I've checked had excellent drinking quality).

greenghost wrote:
Jay,
I wouldn't want to use those things outside of an emergency situation. The problem is, even with bio filtration, much of the state's waterways contains nasty chemicals that these filter systems can't eliminate. There are PCBs, mercury, doixin, etc. all through the state... sadly, even in the more remote brookie streams. That's why the DEP put consumption limitations on ALL fish caught in the Commonwealth's waters. You are better off with water from a trusted source.

I use a water bladder. Whenever I'm going to be gone for more than a couple of hours, I carry a small day pack and put it in there. imo, hydration outweighs "going light."

Could not agree more. The small backpack or Camelbak is great for holding other items like snacks, bug spray, etc. Try on several packs until you find the one that fits you well, if you do you should not notice the extra weight very much.

Thanks guys. I think a camelback may be the answer. I'm not too concerned with the weight, as much as I am with the pocket space to carry the stuff. My wading jacket had a big pocket for water bottles, but it ripped after a few years use.

Akid, i'm type 2 my self , what i do is freeze a bottle , and stick it in the back of my vest , sip as it melts , take a cold one and a frozen one usually. A girl from altoona gave me a thing she got in the service called a camel back or pack haven't tried it yet.

Dude, you're soaking in it...anything that says it'll eliminate crypto or giardia will be all you need. Taking your own water is always the best choice, but if you can't those bottles or straws are fine. I wouldn't take one brown lining but any time you are way back in a good charcoal filter will do the trick.

Jay,

I use this bottle when I go backpacking or I don't feel like carrying my own water when fishing. Never had any issues with getting sick and I use it a lot.

http://www.rei.com/product/708980

If a native mountain brook trout lives in it, I'll drink it. Hasn't done me any harm in 30 years. :-D

wildtrout2 wrote:
If a native mountain brook trout lives in it, I'll drink it. Hasn't done me any harm in 30 years. :-D

If you ever get giardia (which isn't quite as prevalent here as in the west) you will never drink creek water again. It 100 times worse than stomach flu with cramps thrown in for kicks...

I agree with Tom. Just because there are brookies doesn't mean there aren't nasty bacteria/viruses in the same stream. Animals use that stream for drinking too, and where you find animals drinking, you also find animals crapping.

Tom is right-but why not those little iodine pills they give you for water treatment-not the best taste but easy to carry-used them for years-no problem

pete41 wrote:
Tom is right-but why not those little iodine pills they give you for water treatment-not the best taste but easy to carry-used them for years-no problem

they taste like crap...that's all.

jayL wrote:
Once again, I bought two bottles of water and left them in the car this weekend. I like to travel light, so I have a problem bringing water with me. I almost always end up dehydrated and miserable, so I'm going to seek out a better solution.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a water purification system, or some other idea for getting drinking water on the stream?

What about this?

Buy a pack with a hydration pack. In fact you can sometimes modify a pack you have to accomodate one. I think you could also figure out a way to put one in a vest. They sell them at all the sporting goods shops and once you get use to having it you'll remember when you pick up your pack, to fill it like remembering tippet and your fly box. You just can't get lazy and forget to empty it and rinse it out when your done. (You'll end up with a stomach ache not as bad as giardia, but you'll be in the bushes instead of fishing) You can clean it with peroxide and rinse it really well and let it dry out (leave the cap off) before each use. Peroxide doesn't leave a taste or oder behind. Actually they sell tablets to clean them as well. The hydration packs are really handy and not very expensive. If you're better than me after you clean it you can put some water in it and put it in the freezer. Drinks on the rocks!

I have used the Katadyn X-stream for 3+ years without a problem. I do fill it with clean water before I leave. Its probably as risky as eating out IMHO.....

I have a hydration system in my pack. I find I'm a much more pleasant person to be around on a warm afternoon if I've been sipping from a hydration pack all day. Even if I carry a water bottle, I find I don't stop and take a drink as often as I should. The hydration pack is the way to go.

P.S. As WetNet suggested, you could probably add a bladder to almost any pack or even a vest. I get my hydration bladders from WallyWorld for like ten bucks. No need to spend a bunch on the hydration system.

All,

I went to cabela's last night, and picked up a 1 liter cabelas brand hydration pack. As I was standing in line, I was thumbing through the coupon book once again, and found this guy:

High-Sierra-Drench-Hydration-Pack_3507_r.jpg
for 50% off. It came out to $25. Can't beat that.

The cabelas pack went back to the rack, and I got one twice as nice for the same price.

No one in Central PA will suspect you to be a city feller wearing a John Deere backpack. Nice!

Attachments

• John Deere Pack.jpg
    John Deere Pack.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 2
Back