Wasted or Useless (mostly) Stream Projects

On Spring Creek, McCoy Dam was removed in 2007, and habitat work was done in 2009 according to an internet search. It was done over a couple of years, though, so it might take some digging to get the exact dates. The 2 cross vanes near the parking area were done first. The cross vanes further up were done a little later, maybe 2 years later.

I live very close to the McCoy site and have observed it from the dam removal up to the present. If you want to take a tour, just let me know.

The cross vane project on Big Bear Creek in Lycoming County was done earlier than that. It was one of the earliest in PA, but I don't know the date. It is on private hunting club land but if you are involved in this stuff, they may give you a tour. I went there on a tour about NCD when it was about half completed. In the massive floods in fall 2011 (largest flood ever recorded in Loyalsock drainage), the stream jumped over into the forest road. The road is at a lower elevation than the stream channel. Never a good thing! There are videos on YouTube of the stream roaring down the road grade. I haven't seen how they patched that up.
Appreciate the reply and info. I may take you up on the McCoy Dam visit next time I'm passing by State College/Bellefonte (full disclosure, I have no idea when that will be).

Your observation about the project affected by the major flood is getting at why I was asking. I am curious how well any type of stream restoration holds up over time against the power of nature. I'm sure the intent of natural channel design is to reestablish a stream valley that can remain stable over time without human intervention (maintenance). I don't mean to imply the designers don't know what they are doing, only wondering what these projects end up looking like after a few decades and the inevitable floods that come with time.

Back