Washing Waders

salmo

salmo

I just got my waders back with the "Old Man tiny bladder" zipper installed. I noticed that they are looking a bit on the dirty side. I'm gonna wash them and waterproof with NikWax. Besides the instructions on the bottles and the YouTube videos, any sage advice from the people on this site?

I'm not familiar with the Nikwax products (helpful, I know), but I am intrigued. I'm assuming this stuff just reinforces already functional waterproof material? In other words, it's not going to work some magic regarding the fact that pretty much every seam in my waders is leaking?

Actually it is a 2 step process. A cleaner and a waterproofing product. I used it last year and it appears to work on leaking caused by fabric bending and stretching. I'm not sure about pin holes and cracks.

I put my waders on and get in the shower and use ivory soap to wash them down. dry them and then treat them.

I used the 2 step Nikwax treatment to rehabilitate an old pair of waders and it worked well. As a bonus they felt soft and silky afterwards.

Waders can be put in the washing machine. Make sure you use Powder detergent. Then treat with the Nikwax spray.

I put my waders on and get in the shower and use ivory soap to wash them down. dry them and then treat them.
So what do you do for the interior?

Waders can be put in the washing machine. Make sure you use Powder detergent. Then treat with the Nikwax spray.
Please!!!! Never use powdered detergent it's not supposed to be good for GorTex.

Simms is quite specific about only using powdered detergent!!!!!

As evidenced by all of the differing opinions, I'd contact the manufacturer of the waders (even though the OP probably negated any warranty by adding the zipper) and ask them what THEY recommend.

That being said, to do it correctly it is a two step process:

Wash first then apply a durable water resistant (DWR) treatment to the fabric to help it shed water like they did when new.

A DWR treatment is applied to all waders during the manufacturing process so at minimum a reapplication occasionally by the owner will NOT stop leaks but will aid in the overall water repellancy of the fabric.

BTW - DWR products are sold as DWR products for fabrics and are not just your garden variety waterproofing stuff.

Good luck and be careful not to pi$$ all over your clean waders trying out your new zipper. ;)

As evidenced by all of the differing opinions, I'd contact the manufacturer of the waders (even though the OP probably negated any warranty by adding the zipper) and ask them what THEY recommend.

That being said, to do it correctly it is a two step process:

Wash first then apply a durable water resistant (DWR) treatment to the fabric to help it shed water like they did when new.

A DWR treatment is applied to all waders during the manufacturing process so at minimum a reapplication occasionally by the owner will NOT stop leaks but will aid in the overall water repellancy of the fabric.

BTW - DWR products are sold as DWR products for fabrics and are not just your garden variety waterproofing stuff.

Good luck and be careful not to pi$$ all over your clean waders trying out your new zipper. ;)
If it’s really cold there’s always the shrinkage issue.

Iwasinthepool

The Simms video looks like it's from the 1990s, lol. Gore-Tex used to recommend powdered detergents because liquid detergents, especially at that time, would not rinse completely and could coat the waterproof/breathable membrane and prevent it from working properly.

Modern liquid detergents made especially for hi-tech outdoor clothing are superior to the old powdered detergents for W/B membranes. Products like Nik-Wax and Atsko Sportwash rinse completely and won't clog the membrane. I use Sportwash as it is much less expensive than Nik-Wax products. In fact, it works well for all types of clothing such as merino wool, down and synthetic insulation, everyday wear, hunting clothes (scent free & UV brightener free), etc.

Gore no longer recommends powdered detergent (do they still make it?):

Gore Care Instructions

Reproofing with DWR causes water to bead up on the outer fabric, which in turn helps greatly in maintaining breathability. I don't know the science behind it, but water vapor (i.e., sweat) does not pass freely through an outer fabric that is wetted-out, just as it won't pass through waders that are submerged under water.

Last edited:
I just washed mine on Friday and used the 2 step Nik tek wash product. They look good and it was easy to use

Back