Washing Waders: Can I use regular detergant?

J

joseywales

I probably wouldn't be so concerned witrh washing them, but I picked up a used set as a spare today and they've been sitting a while. Smell more like attic than anything.

These are the Orvis Clearwater chest waders. Do you really need to use what one site recommends: liquid detergent designed specifically for synthetic, breathable fabrics

Or can I just use regular laundry detergent, as long as it doens't have color-safe bleach or fabric softener in it?

Hi josey - My choice is Revivex Synthetic Fabric Cleaner. I wash the waders with this on the gentle cycle in a front loading washer, making sure to tuck the straps into the chest pocket.

After washing, I renew the DWR finish with Revivex spray on water repellent. Just spray the still damp from the washer waders generously with the spray, and use a hair dryer to set the Revivex.

Here's a Simms set of videos that explains the procedure...

video

http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/gallery/gallery_display.html?gallery_id=00006

I would try and use a detergent that won't clog the pores of the fabric. The Revivex Fabric Cleaner sounds like a good way to go, also. I have used Sport-Wash that you can get in the sproting goods department of any big box. It doesn't leave any residue. I even use it to wash my down sleeping bag.

I have another washing method that I adopted when I was using neoprene waders. Remember those sweat boxes. Haha!

I just wait until my waders are dry, put on a pair of sweatpants and socks, then put on the waders, turned inside out.

I then get in the shower and use a wash cloth and some sport-wash detergent and wash the inside while I am wearing them.

Probably sounds weird but it is fast and easy which means that I clean the inside of my waders more often that way.

Shock

Go wash them in the river.

I then get in the shower and use a wash cloth and some sport-wash detergent and wash the inside while I am wearing them
LOL - that's a great idea ! I do a similar deal when I return from a surf fishing trip - take rods & reels right into the shower with me & wash em down w/shampoo. 20 years of use on some of them & no probs due to salt & sand yet.

When I was my waders I use Ivory Snow powdered detergent & then re-condition with Revivex. Has worked well for me.

here's a question. Is the use of revivex really necessary? If I recall it seemed to wear off of my new waders in a few weeks. I haven't retreated in the 4 years I've had them. The outer fabric does get wet, but no leaks (other than a few pin holes). I guess I kind of answering my question, but there is a chance I've been lucky.

Any opinions? does it extend the life of waders? May be it extends breathability by shedding grime and limescale?

The DWR helps with breatheability. It also seems to help keep stuff from sticking to the outer shell. YMMV....

A quick wash of paint stripper seems to remove everything - even the spray-on camoflage. But you gotta wash it off fast & thoroughly.

Hot water and a good scrub brush.

Back