Warranty on Sage rods

717BrownTown

I am looking at purchasing a sage rod used. The seller insist it has a lifetime warranty. I believe their warranty only covers the original owner. Does anyone have an experience with Sage warranties?

I think it only applies to the original owner. I have two Sages and don't remember anything about transferring warranties. I'd contact Sage or TCO Fly Shop.

To add to this suppose the owner never sent in the warranty card?

It depends on whether or not the original owner claimed the warranty. Even still, Sage is so big they most likely won't care. Try to register it before you send it back. If they give you a problem just say you received it as a gift.

Who buys - what I would assume is an expensive rod and doesn't send in the warranty??

I decided against purchasing the used Sage. Seller was to close to retail price and I was unsure about the warranty. He claimed to have the warranty card he said he never registered the rod so I should be ok with the warranty. I was unsure and he was not far enough below retail to make me take the chance.
Not like I needed another rod but it would have filled a gap in my arsenal .

As it Is bad form to steal, I would return the rod rather than lie to Sage about how you got it. Should you choose to keep the rod you should assume responsibility for replacing it. Your integrity is more important.

acristickid wrote:
Who buys - what I would assume is an expensive rod and doesn't send in the warranty??

I never have and never will. The warranty cards are information collectors which the company then sells. A valid receipt by law entitles you to the warranty of the product. Every state is slightly different but warranty cards are worthless.

You should definitely send them in because when it becomes a problem without one it's expensive. I can deal with a few spam e-mails in lieu of that.

I've twice had Sage rods repaired -- both times due to my clumsiness -- and neither time was I the original owner. It doesn't matter. The repair is $75 flat. I simply filled out the necessary online forms that included the rod's serial number and cause of damage, then sent in the rod with a check (or pay online). Both times they were fast, efficient and professional.

DavidFin wrote:
You should definitely send them in because when it becomes a problem without one it's expensive. I can deal with a few spam e-mails in lieu of that.

I don't think you understand what I'm saying, the "warranty card" has no legal standing on the warranty of the purchase. In fact sometimes a warranty card will actually try shorten a warranty but most have laws against that. Virginia has very good consumer protection and will not allow a 90 day warranty that a lot of companies will claim, mostly electronics related. Anytime a warranty is called into question a receipt will resolve it. If you do not have a receipt the company may date the warranty to the time the product was built as apposed to when it was purchased. Again,this can be a problem more with electronics more than fishing rods. But if it makes you feel better go ahead and send it in.

Back