Warmwater and saltwater rod choice

Pontus

Pontus

So I'm looking for kind of a jack of all trades rod. I'll be going to the Virgin Islands and Florida this winter and want to do some saltwater fishing there. I want to target bonefish in the islands and snook in Florida as well as anything else that will bite a fly in either place. I also want this rod to be a bass rod for lakes and bigger smallmouth rivers. Then there's stripers and shad that I want to target more often as well. I also could end up anywhere in the next couple years, including possibly Washington next summer, so it'd be nice if it can handle steelhead or salmon as well.

So could a 9 ft 8 wt do all of this? Price range is preferably cheaper, but if I knew that I could get a good rod and good warranty that I can use for just about anything for a long time to come, then I'd spend as much as I need to. What do you guys think?

Pontus wrote:
So could a 9 ft 8 wt do all of this?

Yes - best choice for such broad application.

I'll agree w/ FI here. I picked up a 9' 8wt 3 summers ago and it's by far my most-used rod...usually bass, but it's handled carp, (small) stripers, and one decent musky without any problems. Easy to cast all day as well.

As far as prices go, keep an eye out for "last year's models" across the major brands. It's usually a seasonal occurrence, but I don't know the industry well enough to pinpoint when. Lots of good deals plus its still a new rod with a warranty (this varies by brand obv.).

Ok any recommendations or just the standard shop around, cast some rods, and look for sales? Do I need to get a designated salt rod if it'd only be for a couple trips a year? Or can I get away with a standard 8 wt and a high quality salt water reel?

Don't need a designated salt rod, just make sure you rinse it ASAP after every use. The main limiting factor in what you want to do will be fly size. Plenty of big fish are caught on lower wt rods, but throwing a 14" full size bunker fly into a headwind will be tough. TFO is a pretty decent rod, don't own one but they are pretty OK as far as I can tell. Some of the lower end ST Croix rods are nice (avid or imperial). My 10wt is an avid and I like it. It is a worthwhile endeavor to try them out first though cause for long(er) casts, a rod that fits your style will be helpful. Good luck.

However, make sure the reel is designed for salt.
Agree with the others on the 8wt.

I'd look into TFO. Great rods for a good price. I have 4 TFO rods ranging from 4wt to 8wt. My 8wt is a TiCR X rod. I absolutely love it. It casts like a charm & did not break the bank. Some of there other models are good also. Good warranty. The only really annoying thing is they don't come with a rod tube, so you have to pay a little extra to get one of those.

Thats quite a stretch for just one rod...an 8 wt would probably cover most of it.

For salt though I lean towards a 10 wt. Wind is much more of a factor here than any other of your applications. That said, I feel like most people put more effort into matching the rod to the fish than I do. When I go to Florida (not this year due to Lake O coffee dumpage) I use my Dad's 10 wt avid...at night I take it around the lake/canals and catch bass with it, not an issue for me...even the lil bass will put a bend in it

I have to disagree with the majority you would be better if you were over gunned for some types fishing than under gunned I would go with 9' 9wt . A bigger rod with make your overall fishing a better experience. If you are a extremely good caster it might be ok but in allot of cases you will be bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Ditto what Fredrick says. A 9/9 would work out a lot better.

Species mentioned by OP and 8wt or 9wt best choice between the two weight rods:

bonefish 8wt
snook 8wt
bass 8wt
shad 8wt
steelhead 8wt

stripers 9wt
salmon 9wt

I guess it depends how much fishing you will be doing for each species. If it's just a trip or two for Salmon and Stripers maybe consider an 8wt.

I've caught all of the above species on an 8wt including stripers and salmon (and they didn't seem to mind a bit)....

Afish nailed it. 8wts are just great all rounders. consider or look for a good price on a salt design like an xi2 or GLX or something similar.

how much are you going to be fishing for the species listed and where. if you are going to be fishing anywhere in the surf in the north east I would say get a 10. but it looks like you are mainly fishing fresh water species more often.

for salt the salt I have an 8 and a 10 wt rod. for shad I used a 8wt but I also used my 5wt. you can get away with it.

id also say go on the heavy side. I've caught schoolies on my 10 and they still are fun to catch.

good luck with what ever you choose

My comment would have more to do with throwing flies than fighting fish. You can land any of the above on an 8 weight.... The question becomes how large/heavy are the flies you are throwing and in what conditions... If you are throwing 3/0 Clousers on a 350+ grain sinking line in heavy winds then a 9 weight might be the ticket...

I know I tried to go fishing for Musky with my 8 weight this past season and there were times I could feel my rod struggling to find the backbone to throw the huge musky flies I was pitching. (yes, wrong rod for the job but it was what I had with me)

I agree with all of the above... perhaps just a different way of looking at it.

Back