Warm Water/Smallie Jam??

thebassman

thebassman

Has this ever been done? I remember last year their were talk of something possibly happening, but not sure if it did. This would be a lot of fun.

Maybe this is something to look into this year.

I would go to a smallie jam.

We've done a couple WW jams in recent years - both river float trips for smallies. I organized one on the Juniata River in 2010 and last summer Afishinado organized one on the North Branch of the Susky. Both were tough luck trips with poor fishing (esp last year :)).

Don't know about a WW jam this year. Why don't you head one up? Maybe western PA this year?

I would live to, but I live in the eastern part of the state...and I don't really know of any great water. I will do some research and see if I can't find out this way....maybe I can get something together.

thebassman wrote:
and I don't really know of any great water.

Hint: Head east, if you hit Jersey, you've gone too far.

In the east I'd say the BIG J. Maybe the allegheny?

My favorite fish! I fish skinny water for them in Bucks County....but I'll travel for the opportuinity to fish bigger water...Delaware Water Gap?

Attachments

• 051112A.jpg
    051112A.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 4
I'm sure we'll get one together and float/wade one of the bigger rivers like the Susky, Delaware, or the Juanita.

With the water temps and algae blooms of the last jams I'm thinking the month of June will be a better time frame for a WW jam .

Fredrick wrote:
With the water temps and algae blooms of the last jams I'm thinking the month of June will be a better time frame for a WW jam .

I don't remember algae blooms during the last two WW jams - the NB Susky last year was clear (although very windy and late day thunderstorm). The Juniata River in 2010 was crystal clear.
Nevertheless, a different time of year than late summer might be worthwhile......it's just hard with timing. We have the main jam in May, trico jam in summer, Delaware Jam in Sept, salt and Erie jams in November.
Maybe October this year? June would work too but, in my experience, this is a tough month to catch river bass (although a good muskie and panfish month).

Fishidiot wrote:
Fredrick wrote:

I don't remember algae blooms during the last two WW jams - the NB Susky last year was clear (although very windy and late day thunderstorm). The Juniata River in 2010 was crystal clear.
Nevertheless, a different time of year than late summer might be worthwhile......it's just hard with timing. We have the main jam in May, trico jam in summer, Delaware Jam in Sept, salt and Erie jams in November.
Maybe October this year? June would work too but, in my experience, this is a tough month to catch river bass (although a good muskie and panfish month).

Fred,

I agree with FI above. Late summer - early fall has always been the best fishing for river smallies in PA. They spawn in May through mid-June and post spawn catching is usually tough. Again, in the past, the low water periods in late July and August were always prime time, but things have been bass ackwords the last few years. Maybe a late June WW Jam will change our luck.

Attachments

• 554.jpg
    554.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 3
Yes in the past those months have been the best producers but lately they haven't produced . So time for a game change and June or October to me seem to be the prime time .

I'm going to go back down to VA and fish a good smallie river this year. It's pointless to spend much time or money in PA anymore for smallmouth.

I'd go to VA too. But not for smallies.

SurfCowboyXX wrote:
I'm going to go back down to VA and fish a good smallie river this year. It's pointless to spend much time or money in PA anymore for smallmouth.

New you'd say that. ;-)

I would avoid the Delaware River 7/20-7/21.
Floatzilla 6 is scheduled for those 2 days.
Hundreds of kayaks floating down the river.

Ya always have the Lehigh or the Skuke.

So we all know that Eastern PA is not what it used to be period. I live in Western PA and spend most of my time targeting smallies with success. The lower Yough or the Allegheny tail water near Warren are both great. Not to mention you got a shot at muskie, pike, walleye, and world class browns on the Allegheny. The lower Yough is pretty much the same story. Both have absolutely beautiful mountain scenery, and are big enough to support a "float jam" because one boat couldn't possibly cover all the fishy water available! I'm not saying to give up on the Susky or the "J"; I grew up fishing them when I lived in Williamsport, but it's just not the same. I say why not get together on some water that we actually stand to catch some fish!

Not to mention you could easily make a 2 day float jam on the Allegheny from the damn to Tidioute, and camp out either on the Allegheny Wilderness Islands or at Buckaloons.

Back