Warm Water Fishing Jam - Aug 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Attention PAFF Team WWI (warm water insurgents Let's get together for some warm water FFing. On Sat, 7 Aug we'll team up for a float/wade trip on the Juniata River - target smallmouth bass and muskellunge. I think a mini Jam in August ought to fit in between the trico Jam and presumably a steel Jam in the fall (so many Jams - so little time).

This will be a combined float and wading trip. If you have a canoe, johnboat, or kayak by all means consider bringing it. When we get the group together we'll see if there are additional spaces in boats and how to pair up. Those without boat opportunities will have ample wading opportunities at both the start or end points of the float (or anywhere else they care to fish on the river).

We'll meet at the PFBC boatramp at Thompsontown at noontime and float downriver to Millerstown, about 5 miles and finish the day at dusk. Big WW rivers in PA usually fish best in the evenings during high summer. If you're new to bass fishing I'd be happy to provide some tips and check your rigging at the boatramp when we link up as well as suggest some locations if you wish to drive up or downriver and wade.

If you've never fished it, the Juniata is a very scenic river with nothing more than Class I riffles that might require a bit of dragging if the water is low in the area we're fishing. Wade fishing is easy although I recommend felt soles or cleats (skip the cleats if you hope to fish from a boat). The river is roughly about 100 yards wide with an average depth of about 1 foot dropping to several feet in some of the deeper holes. The bottom is mostly cobble and ledge rock with river grass islands. Thompsontown is off RT 22/322 between State College and Harrisburg. (Note: the PFBC boat ramps require that canoes/kayaks be registered or have a launch permit sticker - and of course don't forget a PFD and an extra if you've got one).

You can fish with trout tackle but I'd recommend a 7 or 8WT rod (or bigger if you want to target muskies specifically). Poppers and Wooly Buggers will cover most of the bases. The SMB population in this part of the J is somewhat lower than the glory days back in the 1990s but it's still good with good numbers of big fish over 15 inches.

More details on the forum: http://bit.ly/cbuhGT

marriemb
yes this is the right time for fishing

Last edited:
marriemb

Last edited:
marriemb

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.