Wanted: Vintage Mustad Hooks

Status
Not open for further replies.
mt_flyfisher

mt_flyfisher

It has been years since I tied any flies using Mustad hooks so I no longer remember all of their model numbers.

However, I’m looking for a few of the older Mustad hooks, that may be size 4-8 with a hook shank that is approximately 1 1/2” long (give or take 1/4”), with a turned down eye.

These older Mustad hooks were made from a steel that was easy to bend, and that’s what I want to do with them for the flies that I want to tie. Newer hooks, like the Tiemco hooks that I use today have a much stronger steel and are more difficult, or even impossible to bend without breaking them.

I only need 10-20 of these hooks, but I’d take a full box of up to 100.

PM me here if you have any of these older Mustad hooks that you want to part with.

Thanks, John

Yo mt - I started with Mustads in the 60s when they were the main game, and I still like to use them although I'm pretty promiscuous with all the new brands. It seems to me that Mustads came in two flavors - forged and not. It seems to me that the forged ones like the standard dry fly hook #98480, with flat sides, are less bendy than the rounded profile ones.

Are you tying Stimulators/hoppers or streamers? Do you have a pic of what you are seeking? I have a ton of models and though I usually use nothing bigger than a 10 (around here it's more like 16 or 18), I'm sure somewhere I have what you want.

tl
les

John:

Could they have been the Mustad 3906B hooks?

The 3906 was the 1X heavy, standard length shank nymph/wet fly hook while the 3906B was 1XL version of the same hook.

If so you might look on eBay for old stock. I'd also reach out to Bill Skilton via eBay:

Bill has a LOT of stuff for sale that isn't on his eBay store.

Good luck!!

Yo mt - I started with Mustads in the 60s when they were the main game, and I still like to use them although I'm pretty promiscuous with all the new brands. It seems to me that Mustads came in two flavors - forged and not. It seems to me that the forged ones like the standard dry fly hook #98480, with flat sides, are less bendy than the rounded profile ones.

Are you tying Stimulators/hoppers or streamers? Do you have a pic of what you are seeking? I have a ton of models and though I usually use nothing bigger than a 10 (around here it's more like 16 or 18), I'm sure somewhere I have what you want.

tl
les

Les -

You and I must have both started using Mustads about the same time. I remember buying boxes of 100 of them at that time for about $1.50 or so.

It’s definitely not the 94840 style hook that I’m looking for, but probably the “rounded profile” ones that you refer to, and they could possibly be 2-3x heavy hooks, and perhaps 4x long, or with streamer length shanks (depending on how Mustad classified their hooks at the time).

Back in the 1960’s and early 1970’s I used those hooks to tie a “worm” style fly, before a San Juan or a Squirmy Wormy was developed, or at least commonly known of. It was a very effective fly practically every place I used it but for one reason another I stopped tying and using them - maybe because San Juan’s were developed, were effective, and much easier to tie than what I made. I don’t know why I stopped making them, I just did, and I no longer have any to show what they looked like.

Anyway, I’d like to make some more of them, and that’s what I’d like the hooks for.

Thanks.

John:

Could they have been the Mustad 3906B hooks?

The 3906 was the 1X heavy, standard length shank nymph/wet fly hook while the 3906B was 1XL version of the same hook.

If so you might look on eBay for old stock. I'd also reach out to Bill Skilton via eBay:

Bill has a LOT of stuff for sale that isn't on his eBay store.

Good luck!!
Thanks for the reply. they’re definitely not the 3906 or 3906b hooks that I’m looking for, but a longer shank hook.

If I don’t find what I’m looking for here, or online, I’ll contact Bill Skillton. Good suggestion. thanks.

John:

Mustad had a hook which was called an "English Bait Hook" that we used for curved bodied flies back in the $5 for a box of 100 hooks days. I think the model number was 371160.

It is what's referred to as a Kahle hook. I also used to bend 3906 hooks to accomplish something similar.

But if you want a curved shank hook, there are a gazillion options today that would probably be better, stronger and sharper and require no bending.

Just a thought...

John:

Mustad had a hook which was called an "English Bait Hook" that we used for curved bodied flies back in the $5 for a box of 100 hooks days. I think the model number was 371160.

It is what's referred to as a Kahle hook. I also used to bend 3906 hooks to accomplish something similar.

But if you want a curved shank hook, there are a gazillion options today that would probably be better, stronger and sharper and require no bending.

Just a thought...

I believe you’re referring to the 37160 Mustad hook. ? That hook is also used to tie today’s Wire Worms. That might work for what I’m looking for, but I bent mine into an even more “wormy” shape 😊.

Looking at Mustad’s current hooks, it might be their 7x long 2x heavy streamer hook that I’m looking for, but probably a vintage hook that could be bent versus their current hooks which I suspect are not so easily bent.

I believe you’re referring to the 37160 Mustad hook. ? That hook is also used to tie today’s Wire Worms. That might work for what I’m looking for, but I bent mine into an even more “wormy” shape 😊.

Looking at Mustad’s current hooks, it might be their 7x long 2x heavy streamer hook that I’m looking for, but probably a vintage hook that could be bent versus their current hooks which I suspect are not so easily bent.
1 too many 1's... ;)

Mustad had a hook which was a 79580 that was 5X long. They had another one one with a limerick bend and a looped eye but I can't remember the number.

I use a Partridge CS15 for classic streamers which is a 10X long down eyed hook that has a looped eye.

The 3665A is/was a Limerick that was 1/4" (or something) longer. A departure from the 2XL type nomenclature, so a #12 had a different shank/gap ratio than a #6. It's the round cross-section one and not forged. I have the smaller sizes. I'll have to scramble through the jumble to see if I have any bigger ones.

1 too many 1's... ;)

Mustad had a hook which was a 79580 that was 5X long. They had another one one with a limerick bend and a looped eye but I can't remember the number.

I use a Partridge CS15 for classic streamers which is a 10X long down eyed hook that has a looped eye.

I think the 79580 might be good if I’m able to find some older ones in the right size that would be bendable. A see a guy has some on EBay in size 2 but those might be a bit too big.

In the meantime I might try the 37160’s in size 6, that is if I don’t get critized by purists, like yourself, for stooping so low as to fish with “worms”. 😊. Maybe I could get by with it if I used a bamboo rod?

Thanks for your continued input. 👍

I see the 79580 is forged, so maybe less bendable?

I see the 79580 is forged, so maybe less bendable?

If you’re speaking of the older, vintage hooks being forged I don’t know the answer, but they may be less bendable.

Any of these work for you, John?

IMG 9561

Here are some real vintage Mustad hooks. When was the last time that you spent $3.40 for 100 hooks!!

IMG 9562
IMG 9563

Les -

You and I must have both started using Mustads about the same time. I remember buying boxes of 100 of them at that time for about $1.50 or so.

It’s definitely not the 94840 style hook that I’m looking for, but probably the “rounded profile” ones that you refer to, and they could possibly be 2-3x heavy hooks, and perhaps 4x long, or with streamer length shanks (depending on how Mustad classified their hooks at the time).

Back in the 1960’s and early 1970’s I used those hooks to tie a “worm” style fly, before a San Juan or a Squirmy Wormy was developed, or at least commonly known of. It was a very effective fly practically every place I used it but for one reason another I stopped tying and using them - maybe because San Juan’s were developed, were effective, and much easier to tie than what I made. I don’t know why I stopped making them, I just did, and I no longer have any to show what they looked like.

Anyway, I’d like to make some more of them, and that’s what I’d like the hooks for.

Thanks.
Dear mt_flyfisher,

Since you are looking for hooks for sub-surface flies, I'm surprised no one mentioned the Mustad 9672 - 2xl long - 2x stout hook? I think they call them R74's today.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Dear mt_flyfisher,

Since you are looking for hooks for sub-surface flies, I'm surprised no one mentioned the Mustad 9672 - 2xl long - 2x stout hook? I think they call them R74's today.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Tim -

Thanks for that suggestion. That might also work in sizes like 4 or 6 if I was able to find some old Vintage ones.

However, I think I might try some longer shank hooks first, and get some 31760’s that @Bamboozle mentioned that are already bent. (If I break too many hooks by bending them myself I’d really get bent out of shape. 😊)

Many thanks to all of you who have responded. Your many helpful suggestions were overwhelming!

As a result, I think I have a good handle on the hooks that will need at this point.

I’ll post a picture of the fly that I ultimately tie on those Mustad hooks (if I’m allowed to post worm pictures on a fly fishing site.)

so i have some, but a model # would make it easier.
down eye? ring eye?

Hooks1
Hooks2

...In the meantime I might try the 37160’s in size 6, that is if I don’t get critized by purists, like yourself, for stooping so low as to fish with “worms”. 😊. Maybe I could get by with it if I used a bamboo rod...?
...I’ll post a picture of the fly that I ultimately tie on those Mustad hooks (if I’m allowed to post worm pictures on a fly fishing site.)

Remind me to post a picture of the "plastic worm" flies (they call them "Gulley Worms these days) that I tied well over 20 years ago made of braided Estaz.

To show you how much of a purist I am, I even went as far using an Eagle Claw 449WA weedless baitholder hook for that "fly." ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back