Wanted : Good Waders

D

dryflyguy

My Orvis proguide waders keep leaking in the crotch, and after mutilple attempts to patch them, I just can't seem to get them repaired. These waders have already been replace by Orvis twice now, and I just don't have the heart to send them back again.
And I have gotten 3 years use out of them - although it took 3 pairs to it.
So, I've been using my backups all summer now. But it is time for a new pair.
I know that quite a few of you guys seem to think that waders are something that are not worth investing a lot of money in - just get a cheap pair with guarantee, and hope to get a year or so of use out of them. And I'm seriously considering going that route.
However, it would also be nice to have a decent pair that might actually last me a few years with no problems.
And I would be willing to spend up to $300 for a good pair.
I know that waders have been talked about a lot on this site.
But I'm interested in several that really haven't been mentioned - at least as far as I know - and maybe someone here has tried them.

Redington CPX -
I met a guy on the Delaware river with a pair of these, and they looked pretty nice. They go for $289, and come with a 2 year warranty. They also have a zipper, which would be quite handy

Cloudveil -
These waders are fairly new on the market. But I've been seeing some drastic price reductions for them on- line lately. One outfit was selling their top of the line goretex waders - called 8X - for under half the list price. Kinda makes me wonder why.

Simms -
I bought a pair of their guide weights almost 10 years ago, and had problems with them. They started leaking in the heels. And Simms charged me to replace the booties.
However, those waders had a Y seam right at the back of the heel.
They have since redesigned these now with what's called an hourglass seam design - moving the seams to the side of the foot. And I really think that these might last me.
Their headwater waders have this new heel design, are made of gore-tex, and go for $300.

I have simms g3s and love them. Get them or a bean brand waders through bean and you've got a lifetime guarantee.

My Simms boots less than 6 months failed and their suggestion was take them to cobbler. The 6 month old Simms 3G waders have multiple "moisture" points. I would like them better if I got them for Jay's price. I paid $400 + 10% NY sales tax. I would not drop the money on Simms again.

I believe the headwaters are not gortex and are not made in usa like the upper end Simms.

Agree with the better LL Bean or Cabelas due to their reasonable no questions asked warranty and the ability to do the exchange locally at a store versus paying to mail them to the west coast and back.

Edit: I know what you are talking about with the Cloudveil. That site has a lot of good deals on Cloudveil products and their stuff seems good. I really like that 8X jacket.

I have the Redington CPX. I've only worn them about 10-15 times and the seams on one of the boot feet already look worn. It's probably because my wading boots are too wide. No leaks, it just looks strange. Otherwise they're great. I will say, however, that the sizing is annoying. I wear a size 12-13 shoe but am thin. Needed to get the large waders to get the right size boot. This means they're baggy.

For the price they're definitely decent. Great reinforced legs. I've done some brookie bushwacking in them with no issues.

I have yet to find waders that fit right.

I am medium to medium-large build, and around 6'. For whatever reason, waders that fit my body are too small for my feet, and waders that fit my feet are too big.

Bill,

I've had a pair of Simms L2 waders for two years now and I'm pretty happy with them. They are discontinued now, but you can still find a few pair here and there around the internet selling in the $150 to $200 range. They are real goretex, but kind of a light weight wader. If you can find a pair in your size, this might be a good option for you.

William Joseph Drynamic Waders retail for around 350 www.fishwest.com has them for 170. Willy J has excellent customer service and have lifetime Warenty's. I own them and they are great. Nice zipper front plenty of pockets and NO SEAMS IN THE CROTCH!

http://www.fishwest.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=flyshop&Product_Code=WJ45DRWA&Category_Code=016closeouts

like alby here i have the old L2 's and they have been awesome , i will definitely buy nothing but simms from here on out ! if u get a pin hole turn them inside out and spray with rubbing alcohol and they turn black , circle it with a pen and aqua seal after the rubbing alcohol evaporates .....

I've had the L2's for around 6 yrs. Beat them up pretty bad too. Just started leaking last fall. I now call them my "aquaseal waders". Fixed the pin holes but the groin seam is just about shot. I keep them for fishing from the boat or on warm days when I don't care if I get a little wet. Great waders though.

Simms" Headwaters" waders are made in the USA and they are "Gore-Tex". I bought a pair of the waist highs in early spring 2009 when they first became available. They were $250. Worth every penny. I recently retired so get to spend more time in them now LOL. The only problem I had is the gravel guards need replaced. I wore holes through the darn things. I plan on sending them back this winter to get the guards replaced. Other than that they have been great. Overall IMO they are pretty rugged.

Patagonia !

just get patagonia and be done with it. i spent years trying different waders from orivs, simms, cabelas, etc. got two pairs of patties and don't even think about waders anymore. Have an issue, they'll send you a new pair....LL Bean would be my next choice, if I were to get a different brand.

Another vote for Patagonia. One of the best warranties in the biz and they are a 1% Company, Donate $ for watershed restoration, and try to use as much recycled material as possible. I have heard some rumors stirring about Cloudveil leaving the fishing gear business since Spyder bought them. Can't go wrong with Bean or Simms either.

LRSA Becker -

Those drynamic waders do look like a great buy. Unfortunately, they only have them in size XXlarge.
I wear just a plain large, and can seldom find any thing my size in closeouts.

Wildtiger -

I recently checked out those simms headwater waders at a fly shop, and really think that they might last me.
However, I was disappointed with simms customer service over the problems I had with my old guide weights. But that was almost 10 years ago now, and I might be willing to try them again.

Quite a few of you guys really like patagonia waders. And I'll have to check them out. I just wish that there was a fly shop around that carried them so that I could see them first before buying

I have two pairs if you want to take a gander at them.

dryflyguy wrote:
LRSA Becker -

Those drynamic waders do look like a great buy. Unfortunately, they only have them in size XXlarge.
I wear just a plain large, and can seldom find any thing my size in closeouts.

Wildtiger -

I recently checked out those simms headwater waders at a fly shop, and really think that they might last me.
However, I was disappointed with simms customer service over the problems I had with my old guide weights. But that was almost 10 years ago now, and I might be willing to try them again.

Quite a few of you guys really like patagonia waders. And I'll have to check them out. I just wish that there was a fly shop around that carried them so that I could see them first before buying

Cabelas sells Patagonia, at least I thought I saw them there. Look around for those Willy J Drynamics. I really do love them and you can not go wrong with anything Willy J trust me.

sierratradingpost.com where I got my wifes Patagonia waders. They also have thos WJ Drynamics for $229 in L

Also, always check fatwallet.com or slickdeals.net for free shipping and/or 20-25% off coupons for sierra.

Most of you guys really seem to like Simms and Patagonia.
But I really couldn't find any buys on them - at least in my size.
Would have had to shell out $300 - $400 to get them.
So, I ordered the WJ Drynamics, which I got for $180 from Sierra trading post. They just came today and look very nice.
Let's see how long they last me. LRSABecker assured me that WJ will stand behind them if I do have any problems
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Jdaddy - you even saved me an extra $50 with your post about going thru fat wallet, which I had never heard of.
If our paths ever cross, I owe you a beer

Jdaddy - If our paths ever cross, I owe you a beer

I go out of my way for a good beer! LOL! Hope they work out for ya. Never buy from Sierra without a discount code. If anyone can't find one let me know, I get them every day. Those Baurers are looking pretty good on Sierra.

Back