Want to start tying

Bialeck .. I just started and was gifted (won) a very basic tool (Bass Pro starter) kit and it does the job for starting out. The materials are ok and excluding a few pieces (and it could just be me) been manageable. Went to a local fly shop and dropped a few bucks on things I'm missing but u don't necessarily have to do that. The only must up-grade I would say, and as many have pointed out is a ceramic bobbin. Nice gent purchased a Griffin for me and I've been happy with it.

On a side note check these 2 threads out

Beginner Tyer Swap Ideas

Newbie/Rookie Fly Tyer Swap

L.L. Bean has (or had) a very good beginner's kit. It included an HMH vise made exclusively for L.L. Bean, with the outstanding HMH interchangeable jaws. I notice the kits on the website currently offer the Terra Vise. If they still offer the HMH vise, which isn't in the catalog or online, you can order one directly by phone from the main store.

If you have access to a good fly shop or a fly tying course, I would seek guidance there and tie some flies before buying any equipment.

Go with the kit. I have over 30 years on my Thompson AA vice and just had to flip the jaws last year. I picked up a new one in a box for my daughter. Several of my students in my fly tying club have that kit and the one from Bass Pro. The tools aren't great, but they'll work. When you have money to burn, use the kit as a travel kit. I've attached the Thompson to the side of a dresser drawer in a hotel room, in a pinch.

I wouldn't spend a ton of money on something that you're not sure you're gonna stick with. fly-tying isn't for everybody. I would purchase a kit with the necessities, get a good bobbin(cheap bobbins will get sharp grooves in the tube, and cut your thread), some basic materials, and start tying. If you get into it, get a new vise whenever it wears out.

tying flies is not that difficult for most of the flies you will use. a lot are super simple to tie and the learning curve has a very wide radius. Tying classes are not needed as long as you have youtube and fishing flea markets. every fishing flea market I go to has a guy tying flies there. These fellows are usually very friendly and helpful and they will show you how to tie anything you asked them to tie. buy the cheapie set and jump right in. it beats buying flies and it helps get through the winter.

I bought the wooden case of tools with the pedestal vice....I modified it as I got better. I have the vice permanently glued into the base, I drilled holes for small dowels around the perimeter to hold spools, etc. I've been tying for about a year + and am pretty proficient but stil rarely tie dries because I won't fork out cash for hackle other than that I'd use for streamers (and I'm not very good at hackles dries)

Frankly, I've started to enjoy the tying as its own hobby and I can supply all of my nymph, midge, worm, soft-hackle, streamer needs. DON'T start tying to save money on flies...it'll never happen. But if your interested in experimenting with another side of this hobby, then start cheap and see what you think!

Everybody is different. Wether or not you save money is defendant on each individual. I know that I save money and lots of it and I enjoy fly tying as the hobby that it is. I do not hoard material nor do I have boxes and boxes and boxes and more boxes of flies that I hoard.

I buy material for the flies that I want to fish and then I tie those flies. I do not tie the same flie in every conceivable size and color just to stick in a fly box. The materials cost next to nothing and can produce dozens and dozens or more flies.

I also did not nor will I ever invest in an 800 dollar vise or any where close to that. There just simply is no point if you simply want to tie flies to fish with. I have two vises that are over 20 years old. One my original Thompson and one I inherited from my father. I use Both and have both set up on my bench. I enjoy them both and find them more the adequate for my needs. Vises merely hold a hook for me.

Now I realize that I am in the minority when it comes to not hoarding and collecting but that's why I say it's very dependent on each individual.

I've used three vises since I've been tying. had a kit then upgraded to a another one that orvis sells not sure what kind. now I have a regal. honestly I wish I got it when I started. I think mine ran me like 180. its going to last a life time. I have used other vises in the past that are very nice but for the money regal are the best.

what Gfen has been saying the whole time is what i would say get the basic tools as cheap as you can with the exception of a bobbin and just the materials you need , take it pattern by pattern and learn if you like the whole thing maybe find someone teaching classes local to ya what ever you do don't do what i did and get it in your head you need everything when all you fish is like three types of nymphs and maybe a streamer every now and then, now if a package deal gets you basically the same tools and the stuff to do some of the patterns you use then maybe. do the math for yourself and see the savings

Back