Walt's Worm

T

Tiogadog

Recently, this pattern has been a major producer for me. I am looking to add a few variants to my medium sized nymph box. As of now I tie a pretty standard version of this fly (Hare's Ear Plus #1), but I also tie a version with a copper rib and a head of dark brown squirrel. I seem to take more fish on the latter version.

My question to the board deals with color variants. What other colors and dubbing blends do you use?

I know I am probably complicating a simple fly but that tends to fit with my tying personality.

SQUIRREL!!!!!

I tan my own, but you can get a box of squirrel dubbing from Hareline.

Davy Wotton SLF (synthetic living fibre)

has the following squirrel colors:

gray natural
dark brown
rusty brown
burnt orange
black
golder olive
light olive
bleached ginger
green olive
brown olive
olive.

Not a bad thing to have for building up a stock pile of walts worm.

I Would tie one with a chartreuse tag on it as well and can always go with a bead head. My fly box pretty much looks like squirrels gone to Mardi Gras.

Tie some with a copper beadhead. Very good fly, especially when the water is up and off color a little.

Tie it in lime green. Don't weight them in any way. You want to able to fish them dry as well as under the surface.

The sexy walts. Tied on a jig hook with a tungsten bead. Same dubbing ( hares ear but anything will work) a rib of crystal flash or something similar and a fire orange hotspot behind the bead. That fly and the frenchie are probably two of my favorite searching nymphs.

I tie my own speed version of a sexy walts. It's a blend of 20% Krystal dub dark hares ear 80% dark hares ear shaved from a mask. It's the top one #10
The bottom is hares ear, hot spot, ( with and without hot spot is a must )tungsten bead #14 as "D" described above. I took a ton of trout this winter with this rig.
708fa3063eb910ef10c54f15b9829b99_zpsc798d6db.jpg

The fly is simplicity itself to tie, consisting of nothing more than a cigar-shaped body of hare's ear fur. A bead can be added if desired.

it appears from the description you can tie it using whatever dubbing you want in whatever colors you want to tie it in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D40emumvuo0

experiment

Here is my most successful incarnation. It is more of a cross between a Walt's Worm and Barr's Cranefly larvae.

Attachments

• Walts.jpg
    Walts.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 21
I have found that simple is best. I tie most of mine in Dark hare's ear. I also have some with a little crystal flash in them and a few regular hare's ear. I used to use one that I covered the body with a plastic bag wrapped with a gold wire and had a real small hare tail that produced for me for years but really slacked off for me lately.

I have a whole box dedicated to WW's. I normally only rib mine with Sulky or plain mono.

Becker:

All in the color or different shades?

I guess I am just looking for an excuse to use up the 213 packets of dubbing I currently own.

I stick with the browns, tans, olives, greys and some other colors I can't divulge. Some have orange, pink, chartreuse hot spots. Some have uv fibers mixed into the dubbing. Some are shaggy. Some are trimmed tight. Some are made with wild Russian hamster. Some are made with squirrel and cdc. Some have a contrasting colored dubbed collar. Some use copper beads. Some use silver. Some have a hackle collar.

I think you can get my point that your imagination can run wild with WW's.

A Russian mail order hamster ?

He doesn't use just hamster, its "wild Russian hamster"
Some fancy stuff

He doesn't use just hamster, its "wild Russian hamster"
Some fancy stuff

"Cricetus Cricetus" to be exact. The Eurasion black bellied hamster.

This dubbing is mixed with cdc fibers.

I love dubbing.

The fur (on the back) of those hamsters looks pretty similar to a Hares mask? Pretty neat though, probably dubs like a charm.

A great pattern that has caught way too many trout to count for all of us!

One variation I love to use is with a chartreuse bead, especially in off-color water.

TC

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQuJddbUAY4[/youtube]

Tied a handful of these last night with jig hooks I got from Allen, in preparation for the spring jam. As a novice fly tyer, love these easy patterns that fill a fly box quickly...

Here are a few I like to take for a swim. Made with troutline buggy dubbing.
c5c7ce63808c3a78504a0d01ab25418d_zpsfq0ie3q6.jpg

Back