walleye on streamers

T

timmyt2

Watch "NJ Walleye FLY FISHING at Night with Streamers!" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/IkFetjiZLSk

This looks like great fun

fun. jealous.

I don't do the after dark thing because I'd almost certainly break my neck and drown. But I do get reasonable numbers of walleye on louder colored (or black) Clousers and marabou streamers as well as on fur leeches out of the Allegheny and some of its larger direct tribs. It takes a certain set of water conditions for me to do well though. Slightly high and moderately off color flows often move river and stream walleye into holding water where you'd normally find smallmouth. Current breaks on both sides of boulders and deeper slots along the banks especially if there is some downed timber in place. I don't get many of size, mostly in the 15-19" range. About eating size. Water has to be right though, at least in my experience. A bit high but not blown out. Off color but you can still make out the toes of your wading shoes when knee deep.

RLeep2 wrote:
I don't do the after dark thing because I'd almost certainly break my neck and drown. But I do get reasonable numbers of walleye on louder colored (or black) Clousers and marabou streamers as well as on fur leeches out of the Allegheny and some of its larger direct tribs. It takes a certain set of water conditions for me to do well though. Slightly high and moderately off color flows often move river and stream walleye into holding water where you'd normally find smallmouth. Current breaks on both sides of boulders and deeper slots along the banks especially if there is some downed timber in place. I don't get many of size, mostly in the 15-19" range. About eating size. Water has to be right though, at least in my experience. A bit high but not blown out. Off color but you can still make out the toes of your wading shoes when knee deep.

This has been my experience too.

Casting streamers at night on a big river in PA can be all sorts of adventure. You never know what might chomp down on your fly - bass, musky, walleye, big brown trout, cattie. . .

Looks cool but I wouldn't have released them! Yellow Pike and Yellow Perch are the best eating freshwater fish imo.

I caught a couple of walleye right below Lake Ontelaunee's Dam at the head of Maiden creek when I was younger, like late 80's. More surprised by the second and third than the first but they will take flies. I probably just had a bugger on. And yes, they are delicious.

Regarding lakes, the time is now as soon as the sun goes down. Males are setting up on the spawning sites and coming into very shallow water in advance of the females that will appear later this month or in the beginning of next month. Season closes in a couple of days.

This guy has an interesting perspective on walleye on the long rod. Talks about catching them not only on big stonefly nymphs, but also on imitations of water striders and boatmen and whatnot.

He appears to be in Manitoba though where if your experimentation doesn't interest the first walleye to come along, that's OK. There's always a couple hundred more right behind him.

Anyway, FWIW: https://darkwaterdubbing.wordpress.com/how-to-tie-the-ddh-leech/walleye/

I've never had much luck catching walleye with a fly rod. I'm too old to be wandering along the river bank in the dark, especially in Philly. The only time I do any serious walleye fishing is on our annual trip to a lake in Northern Ontario, cancelled last year, hopefully on for this year. We just go there at the wrong time of the year. They're usually are in 20-25 feet of water and move around the edges of humps and shoals rather than on top of them. I've caught maybe a half dozen over the years all on white streamers. This little guy took one being retrieved down the side of a beaver lodge. It was hiding it the shadows, and is typical of the size I was catching.

Attachments

• 074.JPG
    074.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 3
Mike is speaking my language, i am thinking of a certain local lake somewhat close to me that has a good walleye population

Back