Wading staffs

Thanks to all for your replies. I'll probably get another folstaff. Used to have one but got rid of it thinking it was overkill, plus hated the binding of the sections, ect...but wehen I did need a staff, there really was nothing better.

Rolf wrote:
gfen wrote:
FWIW, the secret to opening a stuck Folstaff, at least, is to tap it stoutly on a tree, a rock, or your car.

That works but if you rub a little wax from a candle on the male ferrules a couple of times a year, it goes a long way.

gfen, I rub it on and then wipe it off with an old towel. Kind of like wax. That way there's less chance of attracting any dirt.

Rolf

Folstaff Wading Staff sounds nice but where can I get it under $100?

kfly wrote:

Used?

Some things are worth the price, simply because there's no other options. If you're someone who can justify a $200 reel when a $25 Medalist will do, or a $100 Sharkskin when a $15 Cortland DT will do, then you should consider the $100 a reasonable cost.

If you're really scraping for every penny (lots of people are), then you might as well carry a ski pole and save your pennies.

kfly wrote:

Here.

And with free shipping, it really is under $100. Whodathunkit. There may be tax on it, though...

I use a cut black birch sapling about 4.5 feet in length and about 1.5 inches in diameter at the grip. Once it has been properly seasoned it's very light-weight, sturdy and handsome. Drill a wee hole above the grip, then add a lanyard and carabiner so you can clip it to your belt. I should add that I am only 5'9" and 170 lbs, so this staff may be insufficient for a much bulkier person.

This ol one legged bird KNOWS wading staffs.........beleive me , a good stick , straight and sturdy , picked up before you start is as good as any i've ever bought and if you lose it no matter. I will say that one called "Fishing Buddy" made from down where TomG lives has a bicycle seat mounted on the end of an extending , adjustable pole is the best one i ever spent $ on , but a good ol stick / staff is as good as any.

This will probably be the 3rd or 4th time on this website that I have given props to the Springbrook collasible wading staff from Cabellas. As far as I am concerned it saved my life one afternoon below the main stem on the Delaware.

Attachments

• s7_317374_999_01.jpg
    s7_317374_999_01.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 3
Back