Wading stafff

T

timmyt

My pro line staff from years ago has made its last trip. The cord on the inside finally gave way while out on the Lehigh the weekend before last. Any recs for a replacment? I want something quality, the research i have done pretty much leads me to either the Simms or the Folstaff. Any other quality sticks I am missing or are these 2 pretty much the top of the line?

https://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/144774/

Right off the bat that big rubber foot thing on the bottom looks fit for a walker foot but not the bottom of a wading staff. Looks like a nice product but i would like to purchase something commercially available with a warranty, etc

Just letting you know what else is out there. I can tell you from experience that the folstaff will annoy you when it gets stuck and you'll get used to smacking it off trees at the end of each day to free it. I've never had the Simms, but from what I've seen of it the folstaff is much better built.

I have two wading staffs on my belt and ways to attach my fly rod to my vest. One of those staffs is a Simms that I got from my late father. I can't tell what the other one is, but I know that I bought it at the resort at Elk Springs in West Virginia.

They are both the same length, and really help me wade. I am 60 years of age now and not quite so confident wading as I was when I was 26. Age does that.

I like the four point approach to wading with my feet and two wading staffs, but it only really works if I can secure my fly rod to my vest, which I can.

I step cautiously when I know I am secure with one foot and two wading staffs the same way.

I don't know what the best wading staff is on the market, but I would recommend getting two that are the same length and finding a way to attach your fly rod securely so that you have both hands free to control you wading staffs, and both feet free to find a comfortable place to feel confident before casting.

This is VERY LONG but if you are looking at collapsible wading staffs, here's what I do know from experience:

FOLSTAF:

Folstaf is a great product, the sturdiest BY FAR, it comes in three sizes with a pouch or holster to carry it. I also like the simple cork grip which lets the staff end float if you drop it.

It folds up the smallest of any top line staff and deploys the easiest BUT any staff with shock cord will pull apart if it is stuck in mud or wedged between rocks. The solution is to pull it out of the mud from a lower section WHILE it is pulled apart, versus from the handle. It’s a pain when it happens, but it doesn’t happen often enough for me to pass up its advantages over some other staffs I own.

Another thing, all shock cord wears out over time however, IF you store the Folstaf fully extended AS RECOMMENDED by the manufacturer between fishing trips and DON’T leave it stored in a hot car, you can buy a lot of time out of the shock cords. In addition, Folstaf uses two shock cords as opposed to the single cord they originally had. That helps to keep the staff “snappier” and buys you a longer lifespan on the shock cords.

Another thing I do is to fold it in half after use to allow air to circulate and completely dry out the shock cord. I assume this helps keep the outer fabric covering of the shock cord from dry rotting. Once it has sat overnight, I store it fully extended until the next outing.

The design of the tapered Folstaf joints are different from most sectioned staffs. The tapered male section jambs into the flared female section. While that makes for a sturdy staff, it also causes the joints to stick on occasion The problem is remedied by REGULAR waxing of the male portion of the joint AS RECOMMENDED by the manufacturer. They even include a small piece of wax with the Folstaf.

Folstaf has a carbide tip which is usually the best option for wear and grip EXCEPT on very hard, quartz laden rocks. It can actually slide on rocks like that but it is still better than a rubber tip that will pull off or an aluminum tip that grips hard rock but doesn’t bite into softer or moss covered rocks and wears out FAST.

My biggest beef with the Folstaf is the warranty. It used to be lifetime, unconditional and free but it is now is to the original owner only and has limitations. Refurbishment is available but has costs associated with it.

SIMMS:

I liked the old Simms staff better than the latest “one size fits all” version, which is very long folded up and like carrying around a samurai sword around with you. It is NOWHERE near as sturdy as a Folstaf but will do the job unless you weigh 400 lbs.

It doesn’t use shock cord to keep it rigid but instead uses a coated steel cable. As result it WILL NOT pull apart if it is stuck in the mud, it won’t get stuck together and you can store it folded up all the time, even in the trunk of a hot car however, you need two hands to deploy it, which may or may not be an issue depending on how you use it.

As an example, I carry my Folstaf folded up in its holster until I decide to deploy it. When that time comes, I just pull it out and it snaps together. With the Simms, you need to tuck your rod under your arm and use two hands. Of course, if you deploy your staff as soon as you get to the stream it is a non-issue.

There are two versions, one made of aluminum and one made of carbon fiber. I bought the carbon fiber version when it first came out, and with it was an enclosed warning to avoid getting it scratched…HUH? When I called Simms and asked them how one avoids getting a wading staff scratched when ALL of the streams I fish have rocks in them, I got a less than satisfactory answer so I sent it back.

I also don’t like the formed handle that forces me to adjust my grip if I grab it incorrectly and the locking device that adjusts the length is also an area for concern. I just don’t trust it, which is another reason I returned my carbon fiber version. Simms guarantees their stuff but I also do not like things that can break.

The original Simms staff used have a non-replaceable aluminum tip. The new version now comes with a replaceable aluminum tip and a rubber tip option, which is an improvement. The original staff came with a retractor attached to a scabbard; the new one doesn’t include the retractor so that ISN’T an improvement.

Another word of warning on the Simms. DO NOT leave it in your trunk or outside on a freezing cold day if you recently used it. Frozen water inside of the tubing will freeze and push out the tip or worse. Don’t ask me how I know…

I have one of the original Simms staffs that I keep in my car for emergencies. I don’t like the new one because of the size and the locking device. If you could find one of the old versions, I’d jump on it. Otherwise, caveat emptor.

ORVIS

The Orvis Ripcord staff is a cool design that utilizes ripcord to hold the staff together. That also means it won’t get stuck in the mud, isn’t hard to pull apart and you can store it folded however, like the Simms it takes two hands to deploy. While it isn’t hard to deploy once you get the hang of it, I HEARTILY recommend trying it out first.

It comes with an aluminum tip that WILL eventually wear out and for some stupid reason; Orvis doesn’t sell replacements but sells an accessory kit WITHOUT that tip. I do know firsthand that if you ask Orvis nicely, they will get a replacement if you need it or you could figure out something else that would work in the threaded hole.

It comes with a scabbard & retractor that is a plus, but the scabbard is very tight fitting so it can take two hands to put it away too. It isn’t cheap but it is backed by Orvis. It has a much nicer handle than the Simms but like the Simms, it is NOT as sturdy as the Folstaf.

I own one but use it only as a back-up if I forget my Folstaf. It is well made and I like the way it is held together, but I can't speak to durability however, I trust Orvis to make good if something goes wrong.

There are also staffs out there by Fishpond & L.L. Bean that are twist-lock adjustable like hiking poles but they seem too complicated, heavy and less reliable to me so I never tried one. I often put all my weight on a single wading staff in situations where staff failure could result in a nasty fall, a dunking or worse. It is for those reasons I never looked at any collapsible staff that could ever collapse in use.

Of course, lots of folks will tell you to "just use an available stick, ski pole or hiking pole". That decision is up to you but if it was me, even with my complaints I'd go with a Folstaf and take care of it as the manufacturer recommends.

I bought my first Folstaf in the 1980’s and I was friends with the designer & owners of the company. It has been rebuilt a few times and I have a spare. It is what I use almost 100% of the time and most likely will be unless I ever get around to fabricating my own design.

Good luck!

Amazing detailed info Bamboozle, i am.sure i will have a question or two but just wanted to say thanks first

Your appreciation is appreciated as well.

I'd be happy to try and answer any question you may have if and when you have them.

timmyt wrote:
Amazing detailed info Bamboozle, i am.sure i will have a question or two but just wanted to say thanks first

Yes, good info from Bamboozle as usual.

The Folstaff is a solid choice (both literally and figuratively) for a quality wading staff that will serve you well for a long time.

I now use a Black Diamond Z-Pole made for Orvis, but I see the model I have is no longer available. Black Diamond makes climbing and trail-hiking gear; quality stuff. What I like about it is it's adjustable for length (I'm short) plus it has an upper and lower grip which is good for wading and trail hiking. Also it locks open as well as being easily closed to a small size and stored in it's sheath attached to your wading belt. The one I have has a heavy duty zinger already attached for convenience. You can check out the Black Diamond site.

I really was going to get another pro line like the one i had, for 40 bucks that thing wasnt bad but i guess they dont make them anymore. It was just a simple aluminum tubing with an elastic cord thru the middle, holstered on my belt and when i reached for it and pulled it out it would extend together automatically. I guess i am going to have to hit some stores and see a few in person before i pull the trigger. I am bad at shopping for stuff like this without checking out the item in person

The Pro Line was/is essentially a "knock off" of the Folstaf with a single shock cord (I believe) and joints that were designed differently meaning without the taper & flare.

I also believe the tubing was less robust and tips less secure.

All that being said, there are more than a few Folstaf knock-offs out there, some better than others, none as good but also none as expensive as a Folstaf.

Orvis sells what is either a Folstaf in disguise or a dead ringer knock-off which sells for under $100 which is maybe $50 less than a Folstaf HOWEVER...

If it breaks, I doubt you have any option other than getting a replacement which is fine...

....as long as Orvis still sells them and the company is still in business which is why I swear by Folstaf.

They have been around since 1970 and stand behind their product, even if it costs you a few bucks.

If you consider a Folstaf, L.L. Bean has the best deal around at $125. If you get a coupon or other deal, you can do even better.

I hate getting rid of trusted old friends. I would replace the shock cord. I'm not familiar with the construction but, on the surface, it seems like a relatively easy and inexpensive repair.

I’ve used the heavier duty Folstaf wading staffs for years, and then bought the $149.00 Simms graphite staff last year. I also recently bought the custom made staff by the Rick Humphrey in Campbell River, BC that was referenced earlier in this post to the Washington Fly Fishing Forum.

I could go into a lot of detail on the pros and cons of each of these staffs, but I won’t. However, my clear favorite between these 3 is the staff that Rick Humphrey makes. If you read the Washington Fly Fishing Forum of all of the accolades he has gotten on his staff you’ll understand why.

It is the quickest to draw from the holster, and get the sections assembled and ready for use. It’s also the quickest and easiest to take apart and put back into the holster. It’s also the sturdiest by far of the 3, which is why you want a staff in the first place. It’s also cheaper than the other 2. For me, the rubber tip is also an advantage as it is quieter and won’t stick into soft stream bottoms as readily as the pointed metal bottoms do on the other staffs.

I ordered the set linked to by Troutbitten. I received them yesterday. I have yet to get them wet, but I am confident they will do nicely. I ordered the shorter set, since one will be for my daughter. I’m 6’ and they certainly feel long enough. Price is right at $44 for a pair.

A cut off broom stick works good and you can put a rubber end on it if you think that helps.

There are a lot more recommendations around. I use the Folstaf wading staff and am 6'2" and it's pretty good all round. Check out the reviews here:

https://flyfisherpro.com/gear/accessories/best-wading-staff-reviews/

I like the Folstaf. One problem. If you settle into a spot and would like to collapse it if your up to your crotch in the river there’s nothing but your head to wack it against to get the joints apart. They really stick together. I know you can let it dangle downstream on the lanyard but the flyline tends to get tangled.

JohnPowers wrote:
I like the Folstaf. One problem. If you settle into a spot and would like to collapse it if your up to your crotch in the river there’s nothing but your head to wack it against to get the joints apart. They really stick together. I know you can let it dangle downstream on the lanyard but the flyline tends to get tangled.
Two things:

1. Periodically wax the male portion of the Folstaf joints with paraffin (as recommended by the manufacturer).

2. Buy one of these. Obviously there are other retractors out there, but the Orvis version of the Gear Keeper with the Spectra cord beats the coated steel cable version by a mile IMHO.

To use it I have a simple loop of knotted paracord on my wading belt and I clip the retractor to that but you can clip it anywhere.

I braided the Folstaf lanyard to shorten it and I use a couple of o-rings to secure it out of the way on the side of the staff if I ever want to use it.

Then just cow-hitch the end of the retractor lanyard around the wading staff and you are ready to go.

The short lanyard on the retractor also has a Quik-Connect on it so you can detach your wading staff and leave the retractor on your wading belt if you want.

While your staff will still be dangling, it will be right next to wherever you have the retractor attached and less likely to get tangled with your line.

It is the best thing I ever did with my staffs!!

BTW - I don't trust the screw in "pin" attachment option on the retractor for a couple of reasons. It can get loose although Loctite can fix that, but the female thread is a brass insert in the plastic housing. I had one of the brass female thread inserts bust out of the housing on mini Gear Keeper zinger I used on nippers.

That is enough reason for me to NOT trust the pin attachment for the higher stress of a wading staff which might have to save my sorry *** one day.

I’ll try it. Been remiss on the paraffin.

Back