wading staff

On the big western rivers its tempting to edge out on gravel bars to get your streamer[didn't want to say fly] a little deeper into the runs.Problem is they tend to run at an angle-suddenly you find yourself slipping into deep water,currents too strong to turn or go back upstream-THEN you understand why a wading staff is more than a sissy boy affliction.lol
I liked the fol staff as the others tend to tangle your running line but the rod can and will be used when it feels like a life threatening situation.

You know what would be neat. A hollowed walking stick which doubled as a rod tube. Kinda like those canes that have the small swords in them. When crossing a dangerous stretch of water you could free your rod hand and not worry about faling and breaking your rod. Some company probably already sells something like that I'm sure.

bushwacker wrote:
You know what would be neat. A hollowed walking stick which doubled as a rod tube. Kinda like those canes that have the small swords in them. When crossing a dangerous stretch of water you could free your rod hand and not worry about faling and breaking your rod. Some company probably already sells something like that I'm sure.

Think I read something about a wading staff like that once. Another cool idea is the really long handled net that doubles as a wading staff - I think that's a coal region kinda thing. There's some really smart fisherman up in them hills - like that wetflyguy........... ;-)

Back