wading staff?

bigslackwater

bigslackwater

I'm going to need a wading staff. It's one of those pieces of gear I never really thought about until now. I'm kind of shocked at the prices...over $100 for a fold-able walking stick?! Seriously...just wondering if there are any quality sticks in the $30 range. If you've had any good (or bad) experience with the cheaper models, I'd love to hear about them!

this is what I use. Very happy with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Hammers-Collapsible-Wading-Staff-Fishing/dp/B001C328YK

$19.90

You can add your own rubber tip if you are concerned about sound.

I use a cheap collapsable hiking pole from walmart, under 10 bucks, going on 3 years with it now, still works. I added a cheap carabiner to the strap so i can collapse it and hook it to my belt or fishing bag.

Thanks! Bought the Hammer.

nymphingmaniac wrote:
this is what I use. Very happy with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Hammers-Collapsible-Wading-Staff-Fishing/dp/B001C328YK

$19.90

You can add your own rubber tip if you are concerned about sound.

That's a solid deal imo and like you said, add a walking cane rubber tip if concerned about noise.

The $19.90 has $4.99 shipping. I would opt to pay a few cents more ($.30) and order it through the Amazon Fullfillment incase you have any problems. Returns are much, much easier when Amazon is the seller or if they handled the order. Just and FYI.

Go with a Folstaff. Sounds like a lot of money, but look at it this way, it will only last forever. I've had mine for 12 years.

I caution people from using some telescopic hiking sticks/staffs made for hiking (not saying it applies to all). You know, the kind that locks by twisting an internal cam-mechanism. Two things led to someone I know taking a bad fall when it collapsed mid-stream. The water pulsing against the staff in heavy flow caused the staff to wobble and vibrate, thereby loosened the mechanism and it collapsed. He also reported that when water gets in there the cam doesn't hold and it starts to slide/slip causing it to shorten when he put weight on it.

Got the Hammers staff in the mail yesterday. Very solid and looks like it will hold up. I dont see myself using it much, nor will I take it on every outing, so I think this is good enough to last me many years. Thanks again for the suggestion Nymphingmaniac!

I use an old broomstick with a lanyard/clip on one end and a rubber cap on the tip. Hex head screws are in the rubber cap for traction.

I have a folding staff and it's about worn out, so I'm looking for a new one. I only use it for difficult streams.

I use an old broomstick with a lanyard/clip on one end and a rubber cap on the tip. Hex head screws are in the rubber cap for traction.

This was my first thought.

I have a folding one and I used it a couple of times. I don't use it anymore because when I did slip it did'nt help in anyway other that kept me from using that hand to catch my balance. With that said.... We must all be reminded that fall season is upon us and cold water can kill. Please be careful of your surroundings and current flows. Bring along a pack with some extra clothes sealed in a plastic bag.

And as in - I believe the second Indiana Jones movie "Let it go Junior" when the goblet was slightly beyond reach. In our case it is that rise from a trout that may be to just an inch too far.

Flyfishers paradise has one for around 35 bucks and it's collapsable and it works great. I've had mine for about 5 years now with no complaints.

I will say that nothing beats the sturdiness a solid wooden staff. I used the broomstick method at first, but found that for the few times I used the staff it was a hassle to drag it along and having fish and line tangle in it. Furthermore, I was less likely to take it along because of these reasons, which almost got me in trouble a few times. I looked for a folding alternative because I only use it sparingly at difficult crossings. Once I get to the age where I use the staff regularly, I will go back to the broomstick/wooden option. They just work better and are ready to use.

Several years back I had knee surgery, bought a staff that was 20 bucks cheaper than a folstaff, cracked the first time out. Took it back to Jonas, got a folstaff, been going strong ever since. One of the wiser ff purchases I ever made. You won't regret it.

Several years back I had knee surgery, bought a staff that was 20 bucks cheaper than a folstaff, cracked the first time out. Took it back to Jonas, got a folstaff, been going strong ever since. One of the wiser ff purchases I ever made. You won't regret it.

I bought a Hodgeman folding wading staff about 6 or 8 years ago. I don't know if they still make them but it has served me well. I don't use it much though. I think I paid about $60 for it.

an old ski pole works the best for me

"an old ski pole works the best for me"

Ditto. $3.00 for a pair at Salvation Army. It doesn't fold, but it doesn't bother me. It floats behind me.

Another ski pole user :)

Back