wading staff

I started using a Folstaff in my early 30's, and I was stupid for not first getting one in my teens, for all the reasons above. Staffs are handy for pushing away wild roses, nettles and poison ivy, as well as for dissuading rattlers (very handy a couple of times).

Folstaffs, especially the 3/4" diameter one, are the gold standard. I never leave home without it.

tl
les

I know this is not the ideal remedy but it's practically free.

My friend uses a nice thick branch he found, the bark was all chewed off and the wood smoothed out nicely by beavers. He drilled a small hole in the one end, attached a strip of leather through the hole and he has the nicest looking wading staff I have ever seen.

I made a staff out of a nice piece of black alder. It works just fine but it drives me nuts having the thing swinging around everywhere. I'm mostly a minimalist and take a foldable if I think I need it.

I've used folstaff and the cheaper knock offs. Also, used a telescoping hiking staff. All have their drawbacks. Like mentioned, the folding type will come apart if you pull up when it's stuck in mud or between rocks. Of the 2 telescoping types Ive used, one kept collapsing after a couple years of use. The other broke at the upper sleeve.
So now I use an old ski pole with the basket removed. My friend kept the basket on, which helps to keep it from sinking in mud.
The reason I chose the ski pole over wood is that I do some down and across fishing and wood floats.

boj wrote:
Picked up a telescoping hiking staff at Wal-mart for $6.00. It was missing the rubber foot piece and I asked how much off couldI get. Really suprised when the clerk told me the price since it rang up $13.95.

Now if they would only stock fly fishing gear.
They do, but not any gear that you'd want to use. I thought about picking my oldest son up a $30 setup to practice with but realized that I have enough spare stuff around, and a good 7'6" 5wt that he can learn with, that would be way better than the Wal-mart stuff.

I had picked up my wife a cheap pair of Wal-mart stocking-foot waist-high waders last year so she could come down with me to the YB for a day and they ripped within an hour.

And back to the topic, I'm definitely on board for the Wal-mart hiking staff as I would not only use it for wading, but also for hiking. We go out hiking often (it was the first scouting belt-loop my oldest son earned) and it would definitely come in handy... I'm a proponent of re-purposing anything. I have a nice hiking day pack that I use with fly-fishing and mountain biking, too.

My hiking/wading staff for the past half-dozen outings is a Swissgear hiking staff which sells for something like $16 at the big marts. Worked without failure so far.

Back