wading staff

O

outsider

Getting to the point where I should start using one. My mentor used a ski pole for years and it worked well for him. I was thinking of using an aluminum telescoping hiking staff that I own. Any issues with this? Thought I'd try it without going to the expense of buying a Folstaff.

The only staff I have used (other than sticks I found along the stream) is a telescoping hiking staff I bought at Wallmart for about $10 a few years ago. It is fine for keeping balance and picking your way through the stream, but the locks on the shaft are not designed to bear a lot of weight, so it will collapse if you push down hard. Since most of these type that I have seen use friction to clamp (either a cam or compression fitting) I think this would be a general problem and is made worse once the materials get wet. I don't do a lot of wading in big streams. If I did, I would probably buy a better staff designed for wading.

I've used the same old broomstick for years. A wading staff is a great help and once you get used to using one you'll appreciate having it.

Do you use a lanyard or a retractable device?

Dear outsider,

I use a Folstaff that I picked up from LL Bean during a sale. I think I spent about $ 80.00 on it and it is the 59" long 3/4" diameter heavy duty version. I looked at other staffs including cheaper knock offs and more expensive staffs made by other companies. Folstaff was the clear winner for me.

I know that $ 80.00 is not pocket change, but I'm getting to the point where I can use the help it provides and from that point of view I consider it money well spent.

I know people who have worn out their Folstaffs and they send them back and get them refurbished for a modest cost. You can't beat that kind of service.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I use a walmart hiking staff, works great. have a carabiner on it so I can clip it to my belt when not needed. never had an issue with it collapsing.

Thanks for the response. I'm going to try the carabiner with my hiking staff. If that does not work out, I'll buy a Folstaff.

Go with a Folstaff. I've got about 11 years on mine ( an absolute must for fishing the Yough). Might seem like a lot of money but the Folstaff will only last you a lifetime.

The only problem with the Folstaff type is that if you use it very much you are sure to get it stuck in between rocks or in the mud. This means it stretches when you try to pull it out (will fail to provide support) and in my case the bungees broke and the entire thing fell apart!

I then returned to use the $7 hiking staff that I bought on sale at Cabela's. I've never had a problem with it collapsing although I will say that at this point I can even manually collapse it.
I tied on a length of thin nylon rope and with a $1 carabiner I attach it to my wading belt.

The funny thing is that I use it as much as a walking stick getting to the stream as I do it the water.

I have a feeling I will lose the rubber tip in the stream on the hiking staff. Keep it on or take it off?

Off. It may slip on larger rocks where the point will have at least some purchase.

i picked up the cabela's wading staff for $40 about 3 years ago and it is sitll in good condition, i'm pretty hard on this too. bent it a few times too and just straightend it out and back in business.

I fished the Tully below Reber's Bridge for an hour or two today, caught some decent fish. I used my hiking staff as a wading staff, and it did wonders for me. Not only for wading, but something to lean on with my broken back. Now I'm kicking myself in the butt for not using it sooner. Something to do with pride. An old dog finally learned a new trick.

they're also nice to "feel" your way back to shore after fishing a spinner fall well past dark on penns!

+1 for the hiking staff and take the rubber tip off. Make sure you dry it out good after using it, even though it is aluminum. They make an inexpensive wading staff. I bought mine after foolishly trying to tackle the Salmon River without one. Dumb!

WG,

That's where I learned my lesson, too. I'm a big guy, 6'3" and 250 and nearly got knocked on my a$$ a few times on the Salmon.
Another great use of the staff is to test water depth ahead of you when fishing a new stream.
Remember that the staff is most effective when used on your downstream side. It's a lot easier to lean on when you need to. I've seen people trying to lean on one upstream in heavy water and it ain't pretty to watch.

wgmiller wrote:
+1 for the hiking staff and take the rubber tip off. Make sure you dry it out good after using it, even though it is aluminum. They make an inexpensive wading staff. I bought mine after foolishly trying to tackle the Salmon River without one. Dumb!

I have been thing about getting one myself the past few years but never had. After reading some great posts I think I will bite the bullet and get one, kinda suprised to see how many people use them. I know I could have used it many times on the Yough and Little J.

I’ve had a Folstaf for eight years and have been happy with it each year. Last year it went back to the factory for a new handle, cord and two new sections, (I use it a lot). $25.00 later it came back like new. As far as maintenance goes, I wax the sections with candle wax twice a year. This thing has paid for itself many times over.

Good Luck!
Rolf

Picked up a telescoping hiking staff at Wal-mart for $6.00. It was missing the rubber foot piece and I asked how much off couldI get. Really suprised when the clerk told me the price since it rang up $13.95.

Now if they would only stock fly fishing gear.

pabowhunter14 wrote:
I have been thing about getting one myself the past few years but never had. After reading some great posts I think I will bite the bullet and get one, kinda suprised to see how many people use them. I know I could have used it many times on the Yough and Little J.

Foolish pride and ignorance/stupidity kept me from using one. Now I look back at all the ballet dances I did and think "hello stupid, should have woke up a long time ago." Won't cost you much to give it a try.

Back