Wading Staff, you'd Be Surprised

S

StreamHiker

For years I've trudged around the state and some western states never giving a thought to a wading staff. Even in the yough and Stonycreek where the rocks are like greased bowling balls, I would rely on my felt and spike wading boots. One of my fishing buddies has been using a Sims staff for a number of years and always tells me I need one. I finally gave in and picked up a Folstaff Orvis (around $90). What was I wiating for??!! In the past 4 outings (including Uta's Provo last week), this staff has become a "must have" tool for me. Regardless of the depth or current of the stream crossing or even hiking over snow, a wading staff is very helpful. Having a third point of contact is a big help and the Folstaff collapses and fits good on the wading belt. My friend's Sims has broken twice so he's had to send it back (I also saw a recall on Sims staffs). As far as my endorsement, the folding Folstaff all the way!!

fishin in erie a couple years ago, i went for a swim. didnt even make it across the creek, first thing in the morning. was miserable all day. it didnt help that I didnt catch any fish. but ever since then, i've had one. it saved me a few times. I didnt buy one though, I just took an old broom handle, drilled a hole in the top and attached a rope. don't know how long it will last. but for me it's a must have.

I have a wading staff. It's a foldup by Hodgman. I bought it several years ago and have used it very little. After reading your post I may have to reconsider and use it more. I usually leave it in my gear bag and don't give it a thought. I will make an effort this year to attach it to my waist so I will have it when I need it. Thanks.

streamhiker,
Several years ago I picked up a folstaf after having knee surgery. Best investment I made. I agree with all you said.
John

25 years old, and probably close to peak condition for this lifetime. I use a staff regularly and laugh at those that feel that they are too young or too nimble for one. It allows me to go places I wouldn't have gone before, and it allows me to concentrate on fishing when I get there. I can confidently say that my wading staff has helped me catch a good many fish that I wouldn't have caught without it.

I use a $3 threaded metal-tipped paint roller extension with old neoprene lashed to it as a handle. It's been in service for 2 years with no issues. It's lighter and apparently more durable than an expensive staff, which I will probably never buy.

I made one of my own. Its a stout piece of poplar, I drilled a hole in the top to put a length of rope so I can drop it whenever and i went at it with a wood burner. It looks great. I never got around to putting a coat of varnish on it though, which I wish I would have.

But like you guys said, they are a MUST HAVE item. I never fish without it.

Back