Wading socks

N8ureboy

N8ureboy

I have always used wool or capilene sock when wet wading. Last summer my buddies all had on what they called wading socks. they looked like the bottom of my waders. Basically a neoprene (I guess) sock with a cuff that folds over the wading boot to keep rocks out. Do these actually keep you feet dry and debris free? Please advise if they are worth buying and any brand recommendations.

Thanks in advance...N8

For the trillionth time, Lamson Guru! O never mind, wrong thread.

Would just wear a wool sock.

I have a guru on my 8 wt and love it. It looks great with the underwater UV test!

back on topic, i have heard that wicking liner socks and wool socks work well. however that is basically what i use and my feet are trashed at the end of the day. I am sensitive as you know shane. I just dont want to dump $60 into a pair of sims wading socks and get the same results.

N8ureboy wrote:
I have always used wool or capilene sock when wet wading. Last summer my buddies all had on what they called wading socks. they looked like the bottom of my waders. Basically a neoprene (I guess) sock with a cuff that folds over the wading boot to keep rocks out. Do these actually keep you feet dry and debris free? Please advise if they are worth buying and any brand recommendations.

Thanks in advance...N8

What you're describing here sounds like the old neoprene wading socks that were used over lightweight wader feet before they started putting neoprene booties in them. The wader materiel just extended right thru to the toes. This caused problems, with the wader materiel bunching up inside the wading boots after walking in them for a little while. Wearing the neoprene socks solved this issue.
I haven't seen waders made like that for quite a while. Just about all breathable waders come with built in neoprene booties now.

I wear wool socks when fishing in colder weather of early spring and late fall. Once the water warms up, I just wear thin poly - or even athletic - socks

For wet wading, I have always used the Simms neoprene wading socks (with built in gravel guards) that fold over and have the clip to attach to the laces. I have used socks, including wool/poly wet wading socks, but the neos are a lot better. I have type 2 diabetes and although I currently don't have any issues with my feet, with the neos, I am able to fish all day without any issues.
I think they're only $30 and if not, there are other makers.

jrmyln wrote:
For wet wading, I have always used the Simms neoprene wading socks (with built in gravel guards) that fold over and have the clip to attach to the laces. I have used socks, including wool/poly wet wading socks, but the neos are a lot better. I have type 2 diabetes and although I currently don't have any issues with my feet, with the neos, I am able to fish all day without any issues.
I think they're only $30 and if not, there are other makers.

that describes them well. Do I stil need to wear light socks underneath them? Will the neoprene rub the flesh off my feet?

Also best way to clean them?

N8ureboy wrote:
Will the neoprene rub the flesh off my feet?

No, it's like walking around with your feet in fleshlights, or so I've been told. I don't have wading socks.

WTF is a fleshlight? it sounds gross

That is a good Price RC i will check it out. Thanks

You do not need to wear anything underneath them. Your feet will be wet, but if you get a pair with the built in gravel guards, you will not have any debris.

I have simms wading socks. There more like a wet suit. Your feet still get wet. I wear regular socks underneath them. I only wear them hiking into small streams when waders aren't necessary. I like them. Wear um all summer. On the smaller streams.

Got them. now i just have to wait for the water to get over 20 degrees
thanks for the input!

For wet wading, I have always used the Simms neoprene wading socks (with built in gravel guards) that fold over and have the clip to attach to the laces. I have used socks, including wool/poly wet wading socks, but the neos are a lot better.

+ 1. Neoprene wading socks are THE way to go for wet wading.

I wear these all summer with my wading boots. You get the benefit of a good wading boot (ankle support and traction) with the comfort of fishing wet in an old pair of tennis shoes. I always go bare foot, I've never had a blister or had any other kind of problem. If you're wearing shorts and have to walk through high brush with thorns, you can pull them up to the knee for a little extra protection for the lower leg as you bush wack to the stream. They don't bunch up when wet like socks made from wool or capilene. I have the Simms wading socks, I've had the same pair for 5 years now and won't need to replace them anytime soon. I wet wade for smallmouth 5-6 days a week in the summer. Neoprene socks are well worth the $20- $35 regardless of brand.

Yeah, I use an Orvis pair when I wet wade. They ran $10 or $15 I think.

They DON'T keep your feet dry. Were not intended to. And you should not wear socks underneath or they will just be waterlogged.

They do keep debris out. They do make the sizing fit, as you probably bought the boots for "with waders", and they'd be too big "without waders". The socks make them fit as if you had waders on. Neoprene is also a little more cushion than most socks will give you, and less likely to rub your feet raw than a sock would do.

Back