Wading shoes

Keen sandals. Your feet stay cool and wet plus you get toe protection and the sides of your feet are mostly protected as well. A pair of crew socks underneath keeps stones and gravel from being too annoying, and will protect your calves and ankles from poison ivy as you trek through the woods.

I wade in the Schuylkill R with Teva sandals. They give plenty of support and sole of the foot protection. Never had a problem and started using them when I saw rock and mountain climbers out west using them to hike in with their gear. As for a more closed sandal, I would agree that the protection around the toes and side of the foot would be beneficial. Often thought about scraping my toes or feet, but it never occurred in yrs of wet wading.

Farmerdave,

I wear old sneakers because I don't have the neoprene socks to fill out my wading boots. Plus, it sure seems like I can get a lot more mileage out of old worn out shoes than I can out of wading boots. How does that happen? A product new and designed for that use will wear out before a pair of shoes I've worn hard all ready and then started dunking in the water and getting filled with gravel. Oh and that's why I like my Teva flip flops. I can just shake my foot around and the gravel comes out.

The only upside I see to wearing higher boots is maybe a decrease in the likelihood of leaches. I seem to be picking up more and more leeches in the last few years from the Juniata and, come to think of it, I'm catching more and more LMB out of the river too. Small changes.

I wore old sneakers until I was about 50 years old. Then I wrecked my soles wading on the shale outcrops at Doe Hollow on the Delaware in a pair of my sons old sneakers. Plantar faciitis is no fun and sneakers are for the young IMHO.

After that it was wading shoes or boots for me for the sole support. I had a decent pair of Tevas I got on sale that had protection for the sides of my feet (check Sierra Trading Post or the special bin of your big box store). Lasted 5 years or so. But in the end I always have wading boots so I go the neoprene with gravel guard/wool sock route. Need to keep rocks out of the shoes.

I also nearly always wear a fast drying long nylon pant for nettles, poison ivy, etc. For a quick evening in a park like setting shorts are fine. But most places I go have something rough on bare legs.

One more thing, motorcycle studs are cheaper than wader studs if you are looking for an alternative other than 3/4" pan head screws, which wear out each season.

jifigz wrote:
Farmerdave,

I wear old sneakers because I don't have the neoprene socks to fill out my wading boots. Plus, it sure seems like I can get a lot more mileage out of old worn out shoes than I can out of wading boots. How does that happen? A product new and designed for that use will wear out before a pair of shoes I've worn hard all ready and then started dunking in the water and getting filled with gravel. Oh and that's why I like my Teva flip flops. I can just shake my foot around and the gravel comes out.

The only upside I see to wearing higher boots is maybe a decrease in the likelihood of leaches. I seem to be picking up more and more leeches in the last few years from the Juniata and, come to think of it, I'm catching more and more LMB out of the river too. Small changes.

For the record, i really wasn't disagreeing with you. But I am now. My last two pair of wading boots lasted longer than old sneakers. But the first ones didn't.;-)

I am, very rough on sneakers.

I had done the sneaker thing for years, but now that I have wading boots... The neoprene "socks" were cheap. Can't remember what I paid for them. But if you don't have those, a couple pair of thick socks works in a pinch.

As far as flip flops... First off, I am a cheap FOB. I'm talking about the ones that cost only a few bucks at the Dollar stores. You know, the ones that actually "flip" and "flop" when you walk. They don't stay under my feet in the back yard, let alone walking on rocks. I've had other "sandals" that would work in a pinch, but not flip flops.

So given a choice between those and sneakers, I'll wear the sneakers. Or the water shoes that cost not much more than flip flops. But I do have to remove them to dump the gravel. ;-)

I bought the water shoes for the beach, and for walking to and from the pool. Not only are they easier for me to walk in, the water shoes provide better protection if I happen to step on a land mine left by my dog.;-)

I'm sure there are better "flip-flops" out there, and even ones that might fit me better. But they are still flop flops.

JeffK wrote:
I also nearly always wear a fast drying long nylon pant for nettles, poison ivy, etc. For a quick evening in a park like setting shorts are fine. But most places I go have something rough on bare legs.

This! ^

If you're walking through vegetation to get to the banks of a PA river in summer.... you're a sucker for punishment if you're wearing shorts (not to mention Jifig'z leeches).

Regaring the topic: I have waded with sandals and wading shoes and much prefer the latter. I like my Korkers with alternate soles as I can wear felt for when I'm in my canoe and switch to cleats when walking only. The cleats are, obviously, much better on muddy banks than felt and I regard these steep trails as much of a safety hazard as stream bottom rocks.

I had no trouble with fit if I used some thick socks and cinched the lacings tight.

JeffK wrote:

I also nearly always wear a fast drying long nylon pant for nettles, poison ivy, etc.

I also wear those quick drying nylon fishing pants. They help limit chances of getting ticks.

But in my experience, nettles go right through those pants and sting the heck out of you.

I'd like to find some pants made of a similar material, but heavier, so that nettles don't sting through them, and so they would have more protection against briars.

You would be giving up a little bit on the quick drying, but IMHO it would be worth it.

Nettles do not go through jeans. But jeans are cotton and dry very slowly.

I've heard about "tech pants" and pants made for rock climbers and others made for lineman and tree service workers that are made of nylon or some other synthetic, but of a heavier material, which might be good for this type of fishing.

But I haven't tried any of those yet. If anyone has experience with these, please let us know.

I wet wade in jeans. It avoids briars, nettles etc.
You stay cool and fine.
I bring 3 pair with me usually and change after fishing.
You guys sound like you will melt ;-)

I've been liking my Patagucci Guidewater pants. There's a newer version now, the GW 2.

They're a bit heavier mat'l than the thinner Columbia 'fishing' pants I have and work great for hiking and kicking around when you don't want too heavy of a pant or jeans. Also picked up a pair of pants by Kuhl this winter that are a lighter weight jeans-like fabric with a bit of stretch and a bit more substantial than the Patagucci's, the Revolver Rogue model. Been really happy with Kuhl products, quite durable in my experience.

I'd recommend going to an outfitters and looking at their selection of tech hiking pants first hand, lots of options out there.

troutbert wrote:

I'd like to find some pants made of a similar material, but heavier, so that nettles don't sting through them, and so they would have more protection against briars.

You would be giving up a little bit on the quick drying, but IMHO it would be worth it.

Nettles do not go through jeans. But jeans are cotton and dry very slowly.

I've heard about "tech pants" and pants made for rock climbers and others made for lineman and tree service workers that are made of nylon or some other synthetic, but of a heavier material, which might be good for this type of fishing.

But I haven't tried any of those yet. If anyone has experience with these, please let us know.

There are any number of "chaps" out there but all are made of canvas or other materials that would never dry and be a disaster soaking wet unless you took them off while fishing.

I once walked through over 100+ yards of nettle on my way to the Brandywine Creek. The nettle went right through my light quick drying pants like nothing and my lower legs felt like they were on fire.

Fortunately the water helped a bit and a few hours I was fine but I about killed myself finding a different way off the creek when I was done.

After that experience, I consider minor nettle skirmishes a nuisance and not worth the hassle of wearing chaps or waders.

GET A PAIR!

Troutbert, I don't own a pair of these, so I can't attest to their thickness or durability. But this discussion made me think of it. I have been happy with other products from Duluth Trading company, though. Maybe these would work.

Wet wade April thru November? Can I come visit you in Bermuda?

Back