Wading shoes

stevehalupka

stevehalupka

First and foremost, let me give a small praise to Patagonia

2 years ago, I purchased a pair of Canyonwalkers which have literally fallen apart since. Upon chatting with a rep today, they are crediting me with the price I paid if I ship back.

So, they do stick to their guarantee even for the smallest of things.

Now, I've been everywhere fellas... and can't seem to find a good deal on some wading shoes I actually like.

Any links I could be missing that you have come across lately, please provide some assistance. Would be greatly appreciated.

ballpark price would be up to 150 bills... I'm in college, and still have some things to secure for Alaska, so I just need something dependable until I leave in June.

I did come across this pack that I can't resist, and with free shipping, I can't pass it up. Def. fits my style:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/54123?feat=54122-ppxs&dds=y

I would suggest getting a suggestion from Heritage_Angler who works for Bean. I would combine the pack and grab boots from them as well. I have Simms boots I got less than a year ago for around $150 and while I like the boots overall, I am not impressed with their quality or customer support. The sole fell off and they suggested I go find a cobbler. They advised they could not repair them. They advised they would not pay for the repairs. Very, very poor in my opinion. If you do get Simms, get them from Bean as is my understanding that they warranty other vendors products. Pretty strong imo. But if a company is good enough to back up products like Bean, I think I would want to support them and THEIR product versus having them back up another companies product.

The best wading shoes my son has are Cloud Vail's but the ones he fell in love with they don't make anymore. His first pair the seam was starting to separate.. Loads of use and they were really nice and sent him a replacement and upgraded him. He busted his butt with their new design..I do not recommend them. He was lucky with a size 13 foot to find an old style pair in a shop in New Mexico. I'm not sure what he's going to do when they wear out. I wish these companies would let some of these young guys try their products. They aren't into a name just into fishing and not falling on their rumps.

He did buy his Dad a pair of the new wading shoes from Orvis. We are talking all non-felt bottoms. His Dad said they worked great in Montana. I wear Korker's interchangeable wading shoes which I wear with felts with studs which work very well for me, and they do have non felt inserts which is the trend but I can't tell you if they're good or not.

Good luck shopping. Alaska? I'm sooo Jealous!

yea.. I tried Simms, and am not impressed. Korkers, eh, just not my style..

Beans are ugly too, but yes, their warranty is unconditional.

Alaska yes! My buddy is guiding there. I believe he's near the Kenai right now. I graduate this Spring, and intend to take the plunge by June/July. Wanted to get some backbone in terms of education to fall back on in case I burn out.

stevehalupka wrote:
Beans are ugly too, but yes, their warranty is unconditional.

How are these ugly?

Attachments

• grayghostboots.jpg
    grayghostboots.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 3
You stated you were looking for something dependable. Now we must consider "fashion" as well?

Attachments

• FISH-WBPL190.jpg
    FISH-WBPL190.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 3
heritage...

subjective is the term ugly.

they aren't bad... I still wouldn't buy them, but I'll surely throw a 50 down at the bar tonight. I know, priorities eh?

stevehalupka wrote:
heritage...

subjective is the term ugly.

Well I reckon it is! :lol:

Attachments

• PataCanyonwalker.jpg
    PataCanyonwalker.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 3
FWIW, I like simple looking boots. Those Beans got it in spades over those Patagonia.

Then again, I can't stomach the idea of buying a pair of modern sneakers coz of how ridiculous they look.

Chota STL Plus. Can't go wrong. They feel like a good pair of hiking boots when worn all day and they hold up to a lot of abuse.

fly_flinger wrote:
Chota STL Plus. Can't go wrong. They feel like a good pair of hiking boots when worn all day and they hold up to a lot of abuse.

Agreed...mine are still going strong...
http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=56

Links I am finding are showing Chota STL Plus are felt bottoms. Given the movement to ban felt in certain states I don't think I would go that route.

right i should of specified... I am in search of studded.

Looks like I'm settling for Simms at the local shop

Settling for Simms. What's wrong with Simms? I bought a pair of the Vibram soled "Guide Boots" almost two years ago. I think they are awesome. IMO I don't think you can go wrong with Simms.

Only thing I don't like about the Simms vibrams, is that to get studded boots, you have to screw in the studs. I did this with a pair of Chotas, and just didn't like the results.

I much prefer the small carbide studs that are built in to the soles. Mine are on their 4th year, and still look fine. I took a VERY long walk last year up in Erie - on pavement - and they show little wear. They're the same studs that are used in studded snow tires, so they're proven tough.I also had a pair of Simms Guide boots with the aquastealth soles and studs, and while the soles held up well, the boots would shrink to the point I couldn't get them on when dry.

Both the Gray Ghost boots I posted a pic of above, and the ones I have are available with studded rubber soles. I have both studded and non-studded, and I'll never go back to felt. Buying them from the Bean means I'll never have to buy another pair of wading boots again. Ever. With the price of the new boots, that's important. IF they should ever fail, I can just walk into my local LL Bean store with the old ones, and walk out with a new pair of boots. No haggling, arguing, or fuss. Just a smile and a thank you.

Attachments

• Rivertreads.jpg
    Rivertreads.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 6
Greys boots look good for the $
I'm working on my second pair of Chotas.they now make a studded rubber? soled model.

IMO I don't think you can go wrong with Simms

Try wearing them for a month, having them fail, contact them and have them tell you to go see a cobbler. They import these from China and have no capacity (or care or concern) to repair or replace them. Their wader warranty is weak compared to other companies and their service is slow, even if it exists.

Yea, I have heard nothing but negative feedback from Simms warranty. My buddy is die-hard simms supporter, but the waiting period for them to fix a leak? Come on...

bean is unbeatable... i bought a pair of fly weight 2's, used them for 2 years, and they exchanged no questions asked earlier this past spring.

so, I have decided on Beans... I might as well be a walking sales rep. Free shipping right now too, can't beat it.

FWIW, I personally think you made the right decision there. Hope you enjoy them.

Back