wading shoes revisited

I,too have gone through many a boot in 30+ years.
I've had a pair of korker's for a year and a half. I bought a size larger than I usually wear ( I tried them on with my own waders on in a fly shop) and they fit great. I bought a set of the studded rubber soles and wear them exclusively. They came with felt, hiking and giant studs. I keep the felt in my wader bag but really see no reason to switch from the studs. The grip is unbelievable. And I've fished freestones, spring creeks and even snot rock with them,.
The new Simms are JUNK. Way too heavy and narrow for my foot. the Chinese must have thin feet.
The korker's show no sign of excessive wear. I'll bet I get another year and a half out of them.

The studs on my boots are worn down. What would be the best way to go, to repair them...boots are still in good shape!

PaulG

PaulG wrote:

The studs on my boots are worn down. What would be the best way to go, to repair them...boots are still in good shape!

PaulG

I have found that there are 2 general options for repair, others mileage may vary.

1) Do a repair yourself and maybe you get marginal results from having done so--at least I have anyway. Felt never stayed on, studs stripped through the felt and never stuck. It was constant maintenance for me and in the end more aggrivation than it was worth.

2) Take them to a cobbler and have them put a new sole on. I looked at doing this but found the cost to be maybe 1/2+ of new boots or more depending on what boot you're looking at, so replacing the whole boot worked best in my situation when this came up once before.

The last 2 times I have been on the tribs, I felt like I was skating a little bit more than I am used to. Admittedly, I hadn't been there in a while so I wasn't 100% sure whether or not it is the stream I'm fishing or my boots. Came to the conclusion after this last trip that perhaps it's a combination of both. After a careful look at my boots that the studs are worn down and not grabbing as I'd like them to. My studs are built into the boot and are actually pushing up into the Aquastealth sole.

I have 2 1/2 years and a lot of miles on my current boots so I've decided to replace them.

Back