wading shoes revisited

stevehalupka

stevehalupka

a few weeks ago I put up a thread about shoes, and decided on buying the emerger beans with the sticky soles.

Needless to say, I fished a stream today known to be a bit on the slippery side, and am now gut-wrenched I didn't go with felt or studs.

Soo, though it's prob. be thrown around here a hundred times, any advice on studding these myself? Good studs? Application instructions?

The Simms studs are carbide and will not wear out.

http://www.edgeangling.com/Simms-AHB1090020.html

You got them from LL Bean, right? Return them. They guarantee satisfaction. Buy the stud versions.

Leo

I imagine the Bean would take them back if you're not satisfied with the performance. Nothing but good things to say about their satisfaction guarantee. Shoes are one of those things that need to be tried on the stream so I wouldn't be hesitant about returning them. I had the emerger waders and exchanged the first pair after they leaked out of the box. Second pair was returned after developing a leak within the first month.

Minus the shipping, you should be able to get off free.

Steve - My advise would be to return them, and buy the Gray Ghost studded boots. They will cost more, but in my experience, adding screw in studs isn't as durable as getting soles with the studs built in. None of the carbide screws on the market have the hex head made entirely of carbide - usually, just a center "dot" of carbide. The screw heads wear, making replacement more difficult. Contrary to what some say, any added screw-in studs will wear. The Gray Ghost boots with the built in studs are fully guaranteed against wear.

If you print a prepaid return label, your refund will be reduced by $6.50. If you call Customer Service and request a "Quick Exchange", you'll be charged for the boots, but the shipping and handling fee will be waived.

Simply put - it will cost you $6.50 plus the additional price difference in the boots ($70), for a total of $76.50 over what you originally paid for the Emerger boots.

It's all in here:

http://www.llbean.com/shop/returns/index.html?nav=ftbar

Return them and get some junker boots from Wally World and some crampons! Not going anywhere in these!
crampons.jpg

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Steve - My advise would be to return them, and buy the Gray Ghost studded boots. They will cost more, but in my experience, adding screw in studs isn't as durable as getting soles with the studs built in. None of the carbide screws on the market have the hex head made entirely of carbide - usually, just a center "dot" of carbide. The screw heads wear, making replacement more difficult. Contrary to what some say, any added screw-in studs will wear. The Gray Ghost boots with the built in studs are fully guaranteed against wear.

If you print a prepaid return label, your refund will be reduced by $6.50. If you call Customer Service and request a "Quick Exchange", you'll be charged for the boots, but the shipping and handling fee will be waived.

Simply put - it will cost you $6.50 plus the additional price difference in the boots ($70), for a total of $76.50 over what you originally paid for the Emerger boots.

It's all in here:

http://www.llbean.com/shop/returns/index.html?nav=ftbar

Thank you my friend... sounds like a plan to me.

I am a day late and dollar short, but I agree with Heritage. Adding the studs in later is okay but the best bet is with the models that already are designed and installed is the way to go.

I always have had studs in my boots and can't imagine even trying to get around without them.

Anyone try 1/4X1/4 hex head Stainless steel screws in their boots for non slip studs?Kiwi's started this when felt was outlawed. Check out Ice Spikes as well.

motorcycle ice racing screwws sold at ATV shops are really good and cheap , like 20.00 for 250 or something , change em often and they bite , work good along with the chota carbides

I figured I would update this for anyone thinking of buying these.

The beans were horrible... i was skating down meadow run a few weeks ago. So I am sending them back in return for two pairs of their fleece wading pants.

77 dollars shipped to my door with felt... cloudveil 8x wading shoes:

t_2541W_1.jpg

also, took advantage of patagonia's sales going on now, and scooped up this hat

28830_671.jpg

deep wading jacket.. marked down from 250 to 150.. unbeatable.

81798_386.jpg

anyone currently using any of these products?

I just bought that hat at the Orvs store in Allentown. They have a 30-50% sale on outer wear and summer clothes since they are moving

No, I hear the Cloudveil products are very hit or miss. Some are huge winners and others fail. Seems the 8x line is pretty bad *** imo. Let us know how you make out with them. I personally like the looks of the Bean Ghost but am not sure about the permanent studs. I have a bit of a differing opinion than most folks and would not return the Beans after a few years of use, thus I like being able to switch out the studs. Having said that Simms studs are terribly priced and their boots are all Chinese made and poorly at that. Not sure what my next boot will be when these crappy $150 1 year old Simms finally fall to pieces will be.

That hat looks pretty awesome though. May have to check that out.

I just bought that hat at the Orvs store in Allentown. They have a 30-50% sale on outer wear and summer clothes since they are moving

MOVING? Did they give you a new location? My understanding is they are going out of business.

jdaddy wrote:
MOVING? Did they give you a new location? My understanding is they are going out of business.

Details.

I find it hard to believe they're moving given the market for Barbour clothes in the LV, but I suppose its possible they're actually going to focus being a fly shop.

Doubtful, though.

So, besides Patagonia, Barbour, and Maui Jim what's on sale that people might care about? For screaming deals, I might just swallow my lingering anger.

I have been through dozens of wading shoes over 50+ years, and they are so much better these days. But my absolute go-tos are Chotas. Their comfort is grand, and they wear very well, as well as being functional in all the requisite respects.

hp
les

i recently bought a pair of dan baileys with rubber eco tread and i added korkers screw ins which i was skepical about and wow they really bite in i dontthink ill ever own wading boots with out studs ever again not to mention the comfort and they look to be built very well ill let you guys know how long it takes to wear them out if i can do it lol

oops i forgot i did bust a lace already any reccomendations for stronger new laces?

stevehalupka wrote:
I figured I would update this for anyone thinking of buying these.

The beans were horrible... i was skating down meadow run a few weeks ago. So I am sending them back in return for two pairs of their fleece wading pants.

Steve - It's unclear if you sent your Emerger boots back for a pair of the studded Gray Ghost boots or not. Are you saying you were skating with studded soles?

Flipper - Try parachute cord. It's tough and cheap. Just make sure to melt the ends so they don't fray...

I'm sorry, no, I never got the studded boots, I traded the emerger's back for their fleece wading pants, and in return, found those cloudveil 8x's for 77 shipped to the door.

I hear they don't last long, but if I swing a year out of them fishing 5 days a week, I'll be happy. I'm not so sure I even want studded boots, I really like felt, it's a shame the whole invasive species worry is putting them into ban.

I'm surprised Simms is still putting felt on their boots... I believe they aren't ending this until 2012, why the wait?

I believe all Simms wading boots are rubber now. The only feltsoles you will find from Simms are old versions on sale.

I believe all Simms wading boots are rubber now. The only feltsoles you will find from Simms are old versions on sale.

Correct. 2009 was last year of felt production.

Back