Wading in Posted Water

I have read many times from you that fly fisherman there are a problem. I also have read many times from you that the year round poundings were an issue.

Now I read you talked with the landowner about it and he also wouldnt let you on.

Seems you were part of the problem ;-)

Sal-
Fished it for 35 plus years. Never had a single incident that was negative with any landowner. Never kept a single fish. Perhaps went there 5=10 times a year. Watched as year round flyfishing and spin fishing started taking it's toll on the place. Watched as muddy trails were formed by the daily fishing. Saw the original posters were plced in areas along stream on the property we are talking about. went to landowner and was given permission. Then saw the really heavy posting happen after the incident(s) with fly fishermen and others. Spoke with landowner and found out what happened. Now I can't fish there. And likely no one else can either. Exactly how was I a part of the problem?

Happy?

larkmark wrote:
Sal-
Fished it for 35 plus years. Never had a single incident that was negative with any landowner. Never kept a single fish. Perhaps went there 5=10 times a year. Watched as year round flyfishing and spin fishing started taking it's toll on the place. Watched as muddy trails were formed by the daily fishing. Saw the original posters were plced in areas along stream on the property we are talking about. went to landowner and was given permission. Then saw the really heavy posting happen after the incident(s) with fly fishermen and others. Spoke with landowner and found out what happened. Now I can't fish there. And likely no one else can either. Exactly how was I a part of the problem?

Happy?

Sometimes it is better to let things lay.
Bug the PAFBC;Get a unified voice, individually and club wise get them on board regarding fishing eisments. Make some noise with your legislatures.Get the PAFBC to issue a permit for access, stream improvements, trails and fishing parking.
It worked in Erie County.

I was happy before your rant. :lol:

Without going into a whole bunch of back and forth i was just stating the obvious, which obviously went over your head.
The landowner only sees a guy with a rod.
If the landowner didnt think you contributed to the problem, you would still be fishing there, obviously.

There was a lot of posting back when it was stocked and under general regulations, and mostly fished by spin fishers.

The WCO convinced the landowners to keep the land open, under special regulations. The selling point is typically there is less littering and vandalism. And I think that is generally true.

But where streams run through suburbia, next to houses and lawns etc. it's a question of when, not if, the land will be posted.

Some may think of that area is rural. And it probably was, not all that many years ago. But that was then, and this is now. That's suburbia, or at least exurbia now, not rural.

Would you want strangers walking around in your backyard? Most people don't.

In some places counties and municipalities have spent the money to create greenways along streams, which help conserve the streams, provide access for outdoor recreation, and help prevent more building next to streams. But that costs a lot of money. Usually it's the affluent communities that do this.

The creek is still mostly in a rural setting. Mostly in wooded and farm field etc. Not much different than it was 30 yrs ago. Sections would be posted then they would lapse and not put up signs. Mostly it was a situation of trespassing being tolerated which is how a lot of trout streams stay open. the biggest change was that more and more people started fishing it. Trout fishing did not used to be as popular as it is now. And winter fishing has become very popular. Some posting on social media about certain big fish really brought on the people. And obviously the quality of these people was not so good. The sense of entitlement and obnoxious, rude actions were what caused this particular section to be posted.
It used to be a great place
Used to be.

Had a similar situation like this on Valley Creek.

Basically what I found out is like someone said earlier, if the land owner owns both sides of a creek, by riparian rights they can stop you from wading through.

However, if they own only one side and you entered the creek via public land, you’re allowed to remain in the creek bed. This means even a park downstream or upstream from the land in question.

Also from what I learned the amount of “navigable” waterways in the state are kind of limited and are mainly large bodies of water.

In the end, I was wrong as the land owner owned both sides of the creek.

It really sucks when a few idiots ruin it for everyone

The increased pressure on the Codorus has really been hard to fathom. 10 years ago I would venture out on it 2-3 days a week and often not cross paths with another angler during the weekdays. Had a nice routine of dunking 2-3 IPAs through stretches that timed out well with leader changes.

Went once this year in early march, wasn't a single pull off without a vehicle at it.

Lake Marburg is even worse. There has already been one accident, but the increased amount of "uneducated" boat traffic and the non enforcement of swimming is just asking for another.

Back