Wading boots

K

kinger26

Have any of you had experience with the Patagonia Rock Grip Wading Boot-Aluminum Bar? They are high priced...about 100 bucks more than I've ever spent on boots. Are they worth it? Recommendations for NEPA waters?

Korkers makes a metal bar sole

That style of sole is more geared to basalt river beds
For pa?
Get studded rubber

I think the regular studded rubber would be more versatile. I don't know how those bars would be to walk any distance in.
or you could screw some aluminum bars onto your old boots, just take a trip to the hardware store!

Have you looked at chotas? Bulletproof at a fair price. They look like orthopedic shoes so you won't win style points. My fishing partner has had his for close to 9 years now. Still going strong.

You can retro fit your wading boots with bars for about 20 bucks. All you need is bars, SS screws, drill and a good bit set. I can send you bars and instructions you want to mail me a tracing of your boots. No charge.

My solution....if a streamer requires me to screw giant metal bars to my feet , I will just go find another place to fish that doesn't

Dear kinger,

I fished for years with studded felt when I lived up your way in Windsor NY. I never had a problem though I took a spill or two, but that was due more to me being a klutz than it was my wading boots.

If you have unstudded boots you can make them into studded boots for about $ 3.00. All you need are 3/8" hexhead aluminum sheetmetal screws and a nutdriver. Buy a couple dozen screws and put 7 to 9 of them into each shoe.

You can put a dab of Shoo-Goo or Aquaseal on the screws before you run 'em in to help hold them in place. However, for the price of aluminum sheetmetal screws you can get plenty of extras and add one or two as you lose them.

Just make sure you take the wading shoes with you when you buy the sheetemetal screws. You don't want to be putting 5/8" long screws into 1/2" thick soles, your wader's feet won't last long that way. ;-)

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Ive been eyeing up those boots for a while now. The reviews are all good, I'm just waiting to talk to someone who owns them. They will more than likely be my next pair.

Thanks for the advice! I had my decision made for me...I came across a brand new pair of Simms G4 Guide Boots for $150 in my size. I can't wait to try them. I'll stud the soles and these should last the rest of my lifetime! :)

I'm still waiting for someone to make a pair of wading boots geared specifically towards wet wading.

I fail to understand why this won't happen.

Simms made a pair years ago, but they're long gone.

My search last year landed me with using Simms Rivershed sized down 2x while in Yellowstone. They were decent, but still nowhere near as good as true wet wading boots would be.

Had some free time at work today so I decided to make a set of the aluminum bars. We'll see how they work on Friday. Here's a pic.

http://i.imgur.com/wOIsNGM.jpg

kinger26 wrote:
Thanks for the advice! I had my decision made for me...I came across a brand new pair of Simms G4 Guide Boots for $150 in my size. I can't wait to try them. I'll stud the soles and these should last the rest of my lifetime! :)
That's a shame that you think they would last a lifetime. Don't fish much huh? I went thru a pair of Simms "Guide " boots in four years. They were really trashed. I just bought a new pair and figure they will last about the same. If you fish much they will wear out. Have fun and get out there and wear them out! BTW those G4's are a top quality boot and a great choice. Tight lines.

Ok, the "lifetime" thing was an exaggeration, but they are by far the best wading boots I've ever had. I plan on putting them through their paces, beleive me!

Gone_Phishin, I'm looking forward to a report on your aluminum bars. From what I've read on line, anyway, they are unbeatable for traction.

well I tried out the bars today and they really exceeded my expectations. I much better traction than my felt or rubber soles. If you're thinking about trying this go for it, definitely a huge improvement.

I got the aluminum bar stock at Home Depot for around $20. It's 1"wide x 1/4" thick.

I'm still waiting for someone to make a pair of wading boots geared specifically towards wet wading.

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for? They make wading boots everywhere from "boot like" to "shoe like", down to water socks. Personally, for rocky trout streams, whether wet wading or with waders I want a BOOT. For the salt I'd go more the flat boot style. But they make em all.

I use the neoprene socks just for sizing, but if I were buying a pair only for wet wading, I'd just buy em a little smaller.

Chota makes the Caney Fork with a removable liner for this purpose. Leave the liner in to wet wade. Take it out to use a wader sock.

Back