Wading boots

troutbert wrote:
albatross wrote:
Anyone have experience with the Grey's Platinum wading boot?

http://www.wyomingflyfishing.com/Greys-Platinum-Wading-Boots-P2253C313.aspx

My Patagonia boots are coming apart and I'm in the market too.

I got a pair of those Greys Platinum last year and so far so good. They are light, which is good.

Much lighter than the Simms Guide model boots they replaced. The felts wore out on the Simms. The uppers are still in excellent shape. But I couldn't find any place to resole them for a reasonable price. I called Simms and they gave me info some place out west. But the cost of the sole plus the labor plus shipping there and back puts the price near the price of a new pair of boots.

If anyone has any info about resoling wading boots, let us know. Could you just go to a local shoe repair place, have them put on some sort of work shoe sole, then add some sheet metal screws for traction?

TB, I do have those greys and like them too...but the gray synthetic fabric on the sides is wearing at the surface. Kind of looks like the surface layer is falling off. looks funky but doesn't hurt their performance. Soles make it like walking down the sidewalk.

Just got to looking at the simms freestones vibram and the korkers redsides. Has anyone taked the elastic cords out of the the chota stl's or the korkers redsides and replaced them with regular boot laces. Also anyone have any comments on the simms freestones does the leather dry and make the boots hard to put on? some say they are heavy but i have no idea.

Has anyone wore out the vibram soles on their simms yet. Do the rubber soles lose thier grip after awhile i cant imagine the soles not becoming less efficient after a season of use.

yes. It took 1.5 years of hard wear though (80-100 trips a year and mostly long trips 5-12hrs and lots of hiking). I didn't put the studs in (no need for acceptable traction around here), which reduced their life. I put the studs in a few months ago and expect to get another year out of them.
When i get a new pair, I will place the studs in right away to extend the life.

You can get them resoled for about 70.00 plus shipping.

You guys might think im crazy but i have a pair of 20 dollar proline boots and they are awsome!! i have had them for 3 years now and the only thing i have had to replace is the laces.

Absolutely! Pro-Line makes some awesome stuff at great prices, I've mentioned them many times but most of these guys ignore them for "fly-fishing" brands. I still have a pair, they're virtually indestructable. My only complaint is the heel on mine is too high, I feel like a chick wearing high heels. I'm sure they have other models, though. I'm a big fan of pro-line.

Mine are very similar to this Cabela's version, which I believe is made for them by Pro-Line. I've considered just cutting that dang heel off.

Cabela's Denier

why can't I just buy a pair of cheap leather boots at the thrift store.

First, it wouldn't drain, Need to put holes in the side to let water drain out, which isn't a big deal as long as your careful and don't create a place where its gonna rip further. The leather likely won't be high quality, but if you religiously treat them with leather treatments you'd be alright. My guess is the stitching will not be designed to withstand that much water and will rot and fall apart within a year, but hey, the $100 boots everyone else is wearing only last a few years anyway, and for the same reasons. It's definitely a budget option.

Maurice wrote:
troutbert wrote:
albatross wrote:
Anyone have experience with the Grey's Platinum wading boot?

http://www.wyomingflyfishing.com/Greys-Platinum-Wading-Boots-P2253C313.aspx

My Patagonia boots are coming apart and I'm in the market too.

I got a pair of those Greys Platinum last year and so far so good. They are light, which is good.

Much lighter than the Simms Guide model boots they replaced. The felts wore out on the Simms. The uppers are still in excellent shape. But I couldn't find any place to resole them for a reasonable price. I called Simms and they gave me info some place out west. But the cost of the sole plus the labor plus shipping there and back puts the price near the price of a new pair of boots.

If anyone has any info about resoling wading boots, let us know. Could you just go to a local shoe repair place, have them put on some sort of work shoe sole, then add some sheet metal screws for traction?

TB, I do have those greys and like them too...but the gray synthetic fabric on the sides is wearing at the surface. Kind of looks like the surface layer is falling off. looks funky but doesn't hurt their performance. Soles make it like walking down the sidewalk.

Now that I have a few more miles on the Greys Platinum boots, I'm seeing the same kind of wearing away of the surface of the synthetic fabric Maurice described. No tears in the fabric, so far. But I wonder if that will be next. I haven't had these boots that long.

Well my prolines sh!t the bed (felt came off the left sole) so I Just picked up a pair of Simms rivershed boots an they are awesome. I didn't buy the Simms studs I just got self taping screws an used those. They work great an are less then a quarter of the price for the Simms studs.

If they are not carbide tipped they will not last long. Probably about 1/4 the time at 1/4 the cost. You bought the boots just bite the bullet and get the studs designed for them. You won't be sorry.

The Simms Freestoners, and Weinbrenner/Gary Borger boots have the best material that i have seen where it concerns wear and tear. There are five of us and four of us have had Weinbrenner/Borger boots from day one of buying Rediington breathable waders and they have worn like iron, and that fishing the Salmon River for a few weeks each fall for over 14 years,fishing Montana a month a year,the Lehigh River,The Delaware river,Bushkill creeks both monroe and northampton counties.One of us has chosen freestoners from simms and i have seen first hand that they are everybit as good as the Weinbrenner/Borger boots,we all use felt/studded soles,best system IMHO that we have used and if you wear out the soles they can easily be repaired by ordering a sole kit from korkers.Then take the boots to a cobbler and have him/her resole them.The material of thses aforementioned boots is that pleather material works real like a charm.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace
Best new boot that has the best protection with the non felt soles i have seen are the Simms Riversheds period.thats why this eek im gonna go get me a pair in size #14 for late fall and winter fishing, the #13 Weinbrenner/Borger boots i have are great for regular season or when i dont fish wear i need my poly pro/merino socks on,but when i wear my winter sock system they get squinchy so im gonna get the new boots to kill that issue.

I had a pair of Greys boots first the soles started coming off and I glued them back on. Then the laces broke,I live in MD so had to get some new boots anyway. I purchased the korkers chrome boot in March so far so good.

Well I would have said lorises guide boots and think I even may have on another post..... BUT.... I sent mine back I'm 2 weeks ago and have yet to hear back from them! This is the 2nd time in 8 months I've sent them back. Love how light they are how quick they drain and the boa lace system... BUT.. First return I was in Erie in the fall trying to land a chromed up male and the entire runner sole of the boot came off! I was standing on a rock fish ran I moved, slipped and that was it. Couple weeks ago the mesh that provides the fast drainage simply came out. They were great on first issue but the jury is still out on this one. Guy I tt said they charge for damage caused by misuse, which sent me into an email frenzy about quality -vs- price etc. IMO when you pay that kinda money you should be able to keep these things for years. I'll let you know what hapens.

Update. I just received an email from korkers and seems they have completely replaced the boots again! No charge!

Didn't read all the other posts but I just got L.L. Bean River Treads with studs and theyre great.

My dad got me 2 sizes too big (whoops) and I fished with them for about a month and spent alot of time on my butt. Took them back, and they gave me 11's, no questions asked. Fished all day yesterday with 0 problems. Theyre a fantastic boot and very well built.

If you're talking felt, Chotas have been the best I've had among the dozens of Orvises (pretty good), Cabelas, Simms and random boots I've worn out over the decades. Furthermore, Chotas are the most comfortable I've had, so much so that they contribute to wading safety.

I haven't dipped into the rubber/Vibram soles yet.

hp
les

Ok, so im new to this whole thing and im currently looking for a pair of wading boots to replace the 4 year old pair of walmart boots ive been using over my waders. My main question is on studded soles. How or why do studs on the bottom help with traction? All i can imagine is slipping even easier on smooth or round river rocks.

The studs help tremendously with grip. I dont have any fancy explanation other than the metal grips onto the rocks. They dont stick out super far like you may think so it's basically just extra grip for the really slippery rocks

I've had two pairs of Korkers that held up for years under heavy use the only problem with them is that they are constantly changing the design of the interchangeable soles and it can be difficult to find the right ones for your particular boots

I had several pairs of Orvis rip at the toe seams. I think sinks may be the most durable as far as seems go. I will be switching to Korkers this yeas since they fixed the issues with the soles not seating correctly. Get back to you in a year or so and let you know how they do:)

Update.

I kist received a brand new pair of corners (guide boots). No charge! This is the 2nd free replacement I've received. Not sure how happy I am with the longevity of the boots, but customers service and standing behind their product is 2nd to none.

Back